Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post after being a lurker for a while. I want to add fog lights to my Commander and wanted to see if piecing together the kit was a viable option. I have found a website that offers the multi-function switch w/ fog ability, so that is taken care of. Finding OEM fog housings is easy. I will put SilverStar Ultras in the fogs so bulbs don't really matter in this case. My one questions is that a fuse and relay seem to be the only other things that come in the Mopar kit, are they both just standard parts that I can pick up at Autozone or the such?

But if I should just get the kit, I will do so... I do know about the part of having to take it to the dealer to turn the option of fogs on in the computer system.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I have located the install instructions. The multi-function switch, fog light assembly, 20amp fuse and relay seem to be the entirety of the kit. The only question I have now since I checked under the hood in the fuse box (integrated power module) is what the part number is for the relay. I have the 20 amp fuse in place currently without knowing but the relay is not installed. Any help since the instructions for this install seem to be for the Cherokee which I believe is the same.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Hi Brad and welcome to The Forum.
I have some info for you I will send later this morning.
Didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, those were the install instructions that I had found. I ended up taking in the first page to O'Reilly's on my way home this afternoon and picked up the relay. Now one last thing is the OEM part number for the correct multi-function switch. I have located the one with the fog lights and the auto-light option but since I don't have the auto capability it seems like a waste. A few places offer the stalk apparently with the fog light option but no auto-lights. I just want to make sure that the multi-function switch came without the auto-lights but with the fogs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I called up my dealer and had them order the part because I used to know a guy there and I wanted to make sure I got the switch without the auto-headlights.

Since I replaced the multi-function switch, you must also have the dealer activate the foglights, unless of course you decide to use a separate aftermarket switch.

-JeepKid480

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the same thing actually. I will just have to wait now a few days for the switch to come in. I do know about the programming via a StarScan tool in order for the lights to turn on. A brief discussion with the shop manager about the minimal time it takes to do the job since I had the instruction sheet with me got the labor down pretty quickly since it takes all off 90 seconds to complete.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have used this forum as a resource with positive results.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I went to my local dealership that used to starscan for $46 (Allen Samuels Chrsyler), and now they have joined the raping frenzy and are now charging $105 for anything. I may have to take the instructions in and see if that helps, because activating fogs is not rocket science.

Also, does anyone in Houston know of a dealer that will starscan for a decent price?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts