Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was on the fence with upgrading the Commanders tech and finally pulled the trigger when BB emailed me a customer appreciation sale coupon. That made the decision easier and I'm happy with the install so far. I replaced my RER head unit with a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX. I won't go into much detail other than I needed the Bluetooth, wireless Apple Carplay, and the ability to play music and movies by USB with a video out option. The deck gives you some options on positioning, where you can have it flush to the panel - did this but due to the flatness of the Commander I was unable to install the back plastic cover over the mounting screws - also very little in the way of tilting the screen, so I reinstalled it sticking an inch out of the deck. I've positioned the panel center but you can move it an inch or so right, or mount it left.

To make it possible, I installed the deck to a Metra 99-6511BB - I consider this deck fairly sturdy. During install however, I was able to slide the deck forward out of the case. I added some pressure to the plastic tabs by wedging rubber stick pads between the deck and the installation kit - problem solved.

I am able to retain my stock steering wheel controls by way of the PAC RP4-CH11. They provide you two harnesses, so I had to begin by checking my stock plugs to see which one fit. One is square, the other is somewhat rounded on top - mine was the later. Wiring the Pioneer harness with the PAC was fairly straightforward with the instructions provided. I'm no electrician outside of guitar pickups, so I went with the heat-shrink / wind-proof lighter combo.

I purchased the Maestro AV-CH1 for rear view camera and video connections. These connections were pretty straightforward with the factory Pioneer harness. However, I'm having difficulty connecting the rear VES. It could be a connection issue, a setting issue in the Pioneer or something else - I have some research to do but imagine it's possible. I have decided to purchase parking brake bypass so video on the head-unit can be viewed while driving. The Pioneer provides parking assist lines and they are adjustable which I need to do still. I am considering an upgraded (higher-definition) rear view camera. Most likely get a junk handle and work on fitting a Pioneer camera down the road.

A Metra 40-EU10 antenna cable adapter is required.

Optional that I know of, Sirius XM cable and stock GPS cable converter. I mounted the new Pioneer GPS antenna next to the stock antenna under the dash.

I routed the included mini USB cable up through the hole in the glove box where I have a 128GB usb drive.

It's nice being able to look at my phone and be told where I parked my car. I've only had the unit for a few days and still learning. Cheers!

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,817 Posts
@choyt80 Nice job! I don't know that I would like it sticking out like that though.

Reactions: TeslaCommander

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
View attachment 41574 View attachment 41575

I was on the fence with upgrading the Commanders tech and finally pulled the trigger when BB emailed me a customer appreciation sale coupon. That made the decision easier and I'm happy with the install so far. I replaced my RER head unit with a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX. I won't go into much detail other than I needed the Bluetooth, wireless Apple Carplay, and the ability to play music and movies by USB with a video out option. The deck gives you some options on positioning, where you can have it flush to the panel - did this but due to the flatness of the Commander I was unable to install the back plastic cover over the mounting screws - also very little in the way of tilting the screen, so I reinstalled it sticking an inch out of the deck. I've positioned the panel center but you can move it an inch or so right, or mount it left.

View attachment 41572 View attachment 41573

To make it possible, I installed the deck to a Metra 99-6511BB - I consider this deck fairly sturdy. During install however, I was able to slide the deck forward out of the case. I added some pressure to the plastic tabs by wedging rubber stick pads between the deck and the installation kit - problem solved.

I am able to retain my stock steering wheel controls by way of the PAC RP4-CH11. They provide you two harnesses, so I had to begin by checking my stock plugs to see which one fit. One is square, the other is somewhat rounded on top - mine was the later. Wiring the Pioneer harness with the PAC was fairly straightforward with the instructions provided. I'm no electrician outside of guitar pickups, so I went with the heat-shrink / wind-proof lighter combo.

I purchased the Maestro AV-CH1 for rear view camera and video connections. These connections were pretty straightforward with the factory Pioneer harness. However, I'm having difficulty connecting the rear VES. It could be a connection issue, a setting issue in the Pioneer or something else - I have some research to do but imagine it's possible. I have decided to purchase parking brake bypass so video on the head-unit can be viewed while driving. The Pioneer provides parking assist lines and they are adjustable which I need to do still. I am considering an upgraded (higher-definition) rear view camera. Most likely get a junk handle and work on fitting a Pioneer camera down the road.

A Metra 40-EU10 antenna cable adapter is required.

Optional that I know of, Sirius XM cable and stock GPS cable converter. I mounted the new Pioneer GPS antenna next to the stock antenna under the dash.

I routed the included mini USB cable up through the hole in the glove box where I have a 128GB usb drive.

View attachment 41576 View attachment 41577

View attachment 41570

It's nice being able to look at my phone and be told where I parked my car. I've only had the unit for a few days and still learning. Cheers!
Nice upgrade and that was a great write up & pics @choyt80 ; Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: choyt80

·
Registered
16 Posts
do you have the rear monitor and were you able to connect to the monitor? just curious because im thinking of upgrading and replacing the rear monitor with a higher def screen and just rewire it for work with the head unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@Theflyingsaucer

That sounds like a smart move and something I would consider due to the resolution and screen size alone. I have pulled information from the installation of the PAC RP4 CH11 I used for the harness and wheel controls (below). This goes into installation regarding the VES, and all the different VES scenarios. I have purchased the Maestro AV-CH1 which appears to be very similar to the mentioned CHYRVD mentioned below.

Long story short, I think I have connections correct for my rear-screen only VES, but fail to receive a reading from my Pioneer (Rear Seat Entertainment RSE) grayed out. I haven't had much time but I have a few issues that I need to consider - the rear VES always shows the blue screen with the 1 and 2 input. No matter how I have it plugged in, that screen is blue and I was hoping it would get a direct feed without selecting a source. I have another issue, my VES remote has batteries but has never recognized the stock head unit and when I tried finding a fix, it sounded like a hassle at the time (dealership re-flash) but correct me if I'm wrong. We were playing DVD's off the unit a couple weeks ago so I'm certain it's not a ribbon cable issue.

Another option I might try is reinstalling the RER head unit and working the inputs. I'm not entirely certain the VES remote will work without the head unit or visa versa and the VES has no buttons but for brightness +/-.

I have searched numerous threads and forums and found a few that successfully installed the harness when you have VES with a separate DVD player, but I am having trouble finding much regarding the rear screen only VES. I imagine it is possible. For what it's worth, this Pioneer head unit supports a mini-HDMI out connection which would make wiring and installation of a new rear screen easy. Keep us posted on your upgrade if you do tackle this!

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7
1 Posts
@Theflyingsaucer

That sounds like a smart move and something I would consider due to the resolution and screen size alone. I have pulled information from the installation of the PAC RP4 CH11 I used for the harness and wheel controls (below). This goes into installation regarding the VES, and all the different VES scenarios. I have purchased the Maestro AV-CH1 which appears to be very similar to the mentioned CHYRVD mentioned below.

Long story short, I think I have connections correct for my rear-screen only VES, but fail to receive a reading from my Pioneer (Rear Seat Entertainment RSE) grayed out. I haven't had much time but I have a few issues that I need to consider - the rear VES always shows the blue screen with the 1 and 2 input. No matter how I have it plugged in, that screen is blue and I was hoping it would get a direct feed without selecting a source. I have another issue, my VES remote has batteries but has never recognized the stock head unit and when I tried finding a fix, it sounded like a hassle at the time (dealership re-flash) but correct me if I'm wrong. We were playing DVD's off the unit a couple weeks ago so I'm certain it's not a ribbon cable issue.

Another option I might try is reinstalling the RER head unit and working the inputs. I'm not entirely certain the VES remote will work without the head unit or visa versa and the VES has no buttons but for brightness +/-.

I have searched numerous threads and forums and found a few that successfully installed the harness when you have VES with a separate DVD player, but I am having trouble finding much regarding the rear screen only VES. I imagine it is possible. For what it's worth, this Pioneer head unit supports a mini-HDMI out connection which would make wiring and installation of a new rear screen easy. Keep us posted on your upgrade if you do tackle this!

View attachment 41583
I am assuming you have the factory upgraded Boston Acoustics system. Was there any issues with supply remote on/off to the onboard factory amp?

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,817 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Theflyingsaucer

View attachment 41583
I'm curious to know if you were able to get the rear dvd to run through the aftermarket head unit?
I am planning to upgrade mine hear soon and would like to know if this works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm curious to know if you were able to get the rear dvd to run through the aftermarket head unit?
I am planning to upgrade mine hear soon and would like to know if this works.
I have not found a way, and actually stopped trying as I can’t find a solution. It boils down to the rear video system operating by canbus, and no way to talk between the head unit and rear DVD screen. I’d like to hookup another screen from the Pioneer head unit and mount it to the rear somehow.... someday

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is "a way," but it involves a lot of connections that really aren't necessary. Many grounds and returns are up there that go god knows where, and if it doesn't see just what it's expecting the whole thing doesn't work.

It's a lot of effort to maintain an LCD screen made from 2005 era tech, so it is wiser to simply remove it for something newer that will install easier, work, and look better for less effort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts