Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i finally worked up the nerve to install my pioneer avic-d3. i have never installed a car stereo, let alone a nav unit and i was nervous but it worked out okay.

i took a few pictures along the way so check it out.

Step one- Take off the dash. I had the stock radio so i had to get the other bezel so you will see the switch later. There are 16 bolts to remove so have fun!

Step two- Remove stock stereo by removing four bolts and then the two clips and antanea cable.

Step 3- Connect your wiring harness to the stock harness and the back of the new unit. Also you need to hook up your antanae adapter. It get a little crowded in there so watch out! Also, i hooked up my ipod wire and routed it to the glovebox.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 4- Test to see of the thing will work and lookie what happend!

Step 5- Button everything up and enjoy your new navigation!

Let me know if anybody has any questions. I have gotten everything to work so far including i-pod audio and video, divx movies off a cd-r, navigation, etc.

I do have one question, where should i mount my sirius module and antanea? i am going to install that later but i could find a good place. any ideas on where the stock stuff was mounted?

I hope this helps somebody out there!!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Nice article and job on the install. What a messy harness though... is that what came supplied with the unit? That's just ridiculous that they didn't bundle it all together.

·
Registered
541 Posts
How did you power up the unit? I was about to buy a head unit like this from Crutchfield but it gave me warning that I had to power up the new unit separately. I forgot how they word it. Basically I had to run the power to a power source such as cigarette lighter, etc. Yours installation seems like "plug-and-play".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support! that harness is a mess but i may have showed my inexperience with it. Its my first time and i dont think i managed that the best way possible. What you are seeing is the pioneer harness connected to the aftermarket harness and then to the commander harness. I have the boston setup so i need something to help keep that up and that is where that harness came into play. It also kept the "everything stays on until you open the door" feature so that was pretty exciting!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for me it was pretty plug and play. I have the boston system so i did a lot of research and i decided i needed the chto-01 harness, some people will tell you differently but it worked for me. all you do is hook up the two sides of the harness to the commander harness and the pioneer harness. then you need to crimp the yellow wire (constant power) from the aftermarket harness to the yellow wire on the pioneer. and do the same with the red wires (12v Acc) and the blue with white stripes(amp turn on). there are a few more than need crimping but its pretty self explanatory.

Also, you will need to do a bypass to get to be able to use the navigation in motion. if you dont you will have to stop and put up the parking brake to make a route change or anything like that. its not hard at all but its something you have to do. it also allows you to watch video while in motion but its not something i suggest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did lose them but you can get an add on that gets them back. i havent decided if its for me but we will see. i can find that part number if you need it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new to the forum. Great pics. I just ordered the avic-d3 with all the necessary hardware, sirius satellite, back up camera from Crutchfield. I was curious where you accessed the speed sensor wire, reverse light wire, and parking brake wire from? I have a 2007 Jeep Commander.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Nice install! To answer your Satalite antenia question, The factory mount is in the roof rack area near the back center of the XK. If you have the rack or ever intend to use the rack, don't mount yours there or you will lose signal. I would put in in the forward passenger corner where the new video receiver is on the 08 model.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the comments guys. I think my sirius module is dead so i need to see about getting another one. I did remove all the bolts, which ones actually do anything? i can tell when im working on them but i never know untill i start and i would love to know.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Here is the bolt pattern I discovered when I removed my dash:

There are 16 bolts in the dash, you only need to remove the ones marked as an X

OX XO OX XO
XO XX XX OX

You will see how the four sections of bolts are when you look at the dash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you need to first buy the navigation dash, that is the reason crutchfield says it doesnt fit. try saying you have the factory navigation at cf. it will say it will fit then. if you need more info let me know.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
JohnnyBighead said:
i got mine from ebay, user airparkcjd. he was great and i couldnt be happier.
Thats the dealership I bought my Commander from (Airpark Chrysler Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts