Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted an aftermarket security device (box, container, etc.) in their Commander?

I was thinking about something under the seat, but need to take a look to see if there is enough room.

I would like to have somewhere to store my pistol other than the console or glove box.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You may be able to mount a 180 degree swivel on the glovebox to allow it to fully swing down and open, then mount a thinline steel hideaway box on the back. It would be an interesting mod.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Assuming you mean carry for CCW - you'll be bleeding from your neck by the time you reach under your seat if you need it. Another vote for a holster on your hip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming you mean carry for CCW - you'll be bleeding from your neck by the time you reach under your seat if you need it. Another vote for a holster on your hip.
Yes, I normally keep it on me.

This is more for the instances where I have it on me and am unable to take it with me due to the restrictions of the law. I would like to be able to keep it somewhere a little more secure than the console or glove compartment in case the Commander was to get broken in to. I'd rather not give my pistol up to the bad guys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I took the paddle off an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster and mounted it in the center console with a spacer and the chicago screws that held the paddle. Pretty quick access for when it's not on my hip.

I guess that makes four of us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a few pistol boxes on galls.com that might fit under the seat, but I need to measure to make sure.

·
2,248 Posts
I have a locking storage box. Got plenty of room for a LAW, several AK-47's or M-16's. Not that I every carry such firepower. I had the guys at the plant who made my storage compartment put a lock on it. If you have Ross build you one I am sure that he can put locks on also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a locking storage box. Got plenty of room for a LAW, several AK-47's or M-16's. Not that I every carry such firepower. I had the guys at the plant who made my storage compartment put a lock on it. If you have Ross build you one I am sure that he can put locks on also.
I like the box you have. I'm not looking for something that big that would require me to remove the 3rd row. I have something similar in my Wrangler and love it.

I'll take a look under the seats tomorrow and see if there is a reasonable place to mount something. If I come up with something I'll share the info.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Please do share if you see something.

In my old GC, I built a compartment to store an AK clone and some spare mags under the rear seat. Don't really have space under the rear (well, middle) seats in the Commander for that.

Look forward to seeing what you find. I'd think you could fit it under the front seat.

Really though, the only places I might go where I can't bring a gun (except for when I'm at work in DC) are schools or the post office (well, courthouses too, but I don't go to Court in Virginia too often). I can pick my kid up at school carrying in Virginia. I just avoid the post office altogether.

·
Registered
33 Posts
:headbang2:My Desert Eagle .50AE fits nicely in the driver door spot under the speaker

·
Registered
66 Posts
My glock is ethier on my hip most of the time in an IWB. If I am driving the wifes Commander and not wearing it for some reason it stays in the map pocket of the drivers door.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I think the glove box is already too small, adding a locking device to the center console might be the best option.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
There is a small compartment under the second row seat on the right side. If that can be modded to be locked or made deeper it would be a good spot.

It would be reasonable to assume that not many people would look under a seat that appears to be flush with the floor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

I've got a Tuffy console in my TJ for when I have the top and doors off that is bombproof. They might have something that will work in a Commander.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts