Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a HEMI-powered Commander tomorrow. I plan to tow with it at some point in the future. The car is NOT equipped with a tow bar and I note that the specs on the car online say 3500 lbs or 7200 lbs "properly equipped". The dealer says that they are all prepped the same and that there is no reason you can't tow the full 7200 lbs if you add a tow bar. Is this correct? Why the difference between the 3500 and 7200 lb figure. What does the tow package include? Is it just a tow bar, which could be added later, or is it a tranny cooler or something that would seriously limit my ability to tow with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Commander Limited, 4X4, 5.7-Liter HEMI® Multi-Displacement Engine, Multi-Speed Overdrive Automatic Transmission

With 3.73 Axle Ratio and Trailer Tow Group IV You Can Tow 7200 lbs

With 3.73 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 3500 lbs

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
robby said:
Hey jeep5253?

I can find that reduced towing capacity, but it seems to only apply to 4.7 flex fuel engines without the tow group. And of course the v-6.
Can you re-verify?
..........Rob
Yes, without the tow package. Go to this thread and starting with post #22 I posted the towing info for each engine of the 2008 models. I got this info right off the Jeep website.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4845&page=2&highlight=Overdrive+Automatic+Transmission

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
robby said:
Well thats why I asked jeep5253

BEAU is looking at a HEMI 5.7. The post you directed me to lists that stipulation only for the 4.7 flex fuel.
So then, do we agree he should be ok with tow capacity of 7200 if he puts a hitch on later or am I still missing something?
According to the info I posted from the Jeep website the 3500lbs is for all the engines, both 4WD and 2WD without the tow package. I don't know why they changed it, but the '06 and '07 models had a higher towing capacity without the tow package.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am new here and have only had my Jeep for a couple of days. Looking through the manual it mentioned having a tranny cooler/engine cooler of some description (please excuse me if I am wrong - this is my first Jeep).

Now I have the 5.7 liter HEMI, and in the dash I have a 'Tow/Hual' button. Do all of the Commanders come with this or just the ones with the tow package installed. I have the tow package installed too... I know that... the whole hitch mounting etc is in the back...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It sounds like you have the class IV tow package, and no, they do not all come with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
CUPRA said:
^^^

I assume the Class IV package is a decent one, assuming you want to tow something?
It is an excellent towing package.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
To reach the 7200 mark, you have to install the tranny cooler AND the auxiliary electric fan system on the radiator. Your dealer should be able to do the install or get the parts so you can install it yourself, its p-n-p.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the jeep. No tow package. Dealer said - may have lied or just not known - that they are all prepped the same with the same tranny cooler, etc. Said the trailer package was just the hitch. Post above seems to indicate otherwise. Great. How sure are you morrison?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
No, they are not all prepped the same. This is copied from the Jeep website:

Trailer Tow Group IV $280
Package includes >>
Trailer Sway Damping
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
7- and 4 Pin-Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch

The trailer Sway Damping is new for 2008 but the '06s and '07s have the rest of the equipment in the package.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
jeep5253 said:
No, they are not all prepped the same. This is copied from the Jeep website:

Trailer Tow Group IV $280
Package includes >>
Trailer Sway Damping
Class IV Receiver Hitch

The trailer Sway Damping is new for 2008 but the '06s and '07s have the rest of the equipment in the package.
Couldn't say it any better myself. Once again, a dealer shows their complete lack of knowledge about their product line.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I think the Tow Package also includes a heavy duty alternator...needed to not only charge the tow vehicle's battery, but, also when you get above 3500 lbs. most states require electric brakes and a trailer battery to power the brakes should a trailer breakaway happen...that battery also has to be powered along with running lights for the bigger trailers.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I think the Tow Package also includes a heavy duty alternator...needed to not only charge the tow vehicle's battery, but, also when you get above 3500 lbs. most states require electric brakes and a trailer battery to power the brakes should a trailer breakaway happen...that battery also has to be powered along with running lights for the bigger trailers.
It may have a heavier duty alternator but it is not specified in the package.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I love the way my Hemi tows.

It included from factory:
Trailer Sway Damping
Class IV Receiver Hitch

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got the jeep. No tow package. Dealer said - may have lied or just not known - that they are all prepped the same with the same tranny cooler, etc. Said the trailer package was just the hitch. Post above seems to indicate otherwise. Great. How sure are you morrison?
Sounds like someone wanted to make a sale... I'd go back and pitch a fit.

I think I would have paid the extra and got a Commander equiped with the kit in the first place.

Once you get it sorted, the Hemi tows like a champ. I tow my Air Nautique with mine all the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should be able to tell fairly easily if there is a transmission cooler. You can see mine just behind the grill in front of the large radiatior. I have the 5.7 w full tow package and love it. I cant even tell my flats boat is back there!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts