Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm planning for a custom made spacer lift for my Commander, as I'm fed up of getting stuck in sand dunes due to the extremely low ground clearance (especially under the front axle)

Making custom spacer made of aluminum is common in here and not that expensive (around $130 including manufacturing and fixing)
  • My plan is lift the front side with exactly 2", and then lift the rear end to make it almost level with the front (little higher to handle some load without dropping the rear end too much below the front)
  • The front spacer will come on top for the struts to avoid stretching the shock.
  • As Robby explained in his thread, I assume 1" spacer will result in 2" lift, Is that true for such lift?
  • For the rear spacer, I think the thickness of the spacer should be the same as the lift needed.
  • Does it make any difference to put the rear spacer on top or bottom of the coil?
  • For the front spacer bolts, should I use the original bolts to attache the struts to the spacer and new bolts to attache the spacer to the mount, or should I use longer bolts to attache the hole setup together?
  • What about the spacer being made of aluminum? is it ok, safe and reliable?
After the lift I might go for 265/65/17 tires, or 265/70/17, without wheel spacers.

TO Robby, I know that is against your theory that says:
My theory is, if it requires large changes (and, to a vehicle, 2" is large) Then I probably bought the wrong vehicle.
But I believe that I got the wrong vehicle, and trying to live with it, I didn't think I will use it for off-road as much as I do.

Any suggestions, opinions and advice is highly appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Ahmed said:
Now I'm planning for a custom made spacer lift for my Commander, as I'm fed up of getting stuck in sand dunes due to the extremely low ground clearance (especially under the front axle)
A lift will not change the height of the axle.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lift will not change the height of the axle.
Well I mean under the front side then, if you want to be precise :)

And maybe the word "diff" would have been better than "axle" and for sure the lift WILL change the diff height.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Ahmed said:
Well I mean under the front side then, if you want to be precise :)
And maybe the word "diff" would have been better than "axle" and for sure the lift WILL change the diff height.
No, Ahmed, I'm sorry to tell you it won't change the diff height.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/[/COLOR]quote]
No, Ahmed, I'm sorry to tell you it won't change the diff height.
The front diff is attached to the body, and the spacers will lift the body together with the front diff.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
The front diff is attached to the body, and the spacers will lift the body together with the front diff.
The front diff is part of the front axle - not the body.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The front diff is part of the front "axle" but it stays in place relative to the engine/chassis - one benfit to having IFS. Look at any standard front wheel drive car with a transaxle (which incorporates the diff/final drive). Same concept.

I am working under mine today (putting on a lift - front is not cooperating...) and when I lifted it up with the jack I could see the unsprung suspension drop but the diff went up with the rest of the jeep.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

Making custom spacer made of aluminum is common in here and not that expensive (around $130 including manufacturing and fixing)
  • My plan is lift the front side with exactly 2", and then lift the rear end to make it almost level with the front (little higher to handle some load without dropping the rear end too much below the front)
  • The front spacer will come on top for the struts to avoid stretching the shock.
  • As Robby explained in his thread, I assume 1" spacer will result in 2" lift, Is that true for such lift?
  • For the rear spacer, I think the thickness of the spacer should be the same as the lift needed.
  • Does it make any difference to put the rear spacer on top or bottom of the coil?
  • For the front spacer bolts, should I use the original bolts to attache the struts to the spacer and new bolts to attache the spacer to the mount, or should I use longer bolts to attache the hole setup together?
  • What about the spacer being made of aluminum? is it ok, safe and reliable?
After the lift I might go for 265/65/17 tires, or 265/70/17, without wheel spacers.

TO Robby, I know that is against your theory that says:

But I believe that I got the wrong vehicle, and trying to live with it, I didn't think I will use it for off-road as much as I do.

Any suggestions, opinions and advice is highly appreciated :)

Ahmed, I disagree,
You have the right vehicle. But you have now admitted you also need a dune buggy.
I wish I needed a dune buggy, living out in the flatlands gets boring.

Regarding your lift question, I'm sorta wondering why you want to make a lift thats already available? 2" ?
Anyways, there is a 2" kit out there that is comprised of a plate like mine with a spacer welded to it and another plate like mine welded to the spacer.
The strut plate bolts to this spacer lower plate using the original studs. The spacer upper plate bolts through the original holes at the body mount with replacement fasteners.
One of the best 2" designs in my opinion because it minimizes disassembly.

You are contemplating expanding on my design, which by the way has grown again to 1.5"
Commander Ron is currently running this setup for testing.

Anyways, if you add more than 1/2" to the top of the plate, replacement, longer bolts will have to be substituted for the original studs, and, even at 2" there is barely enouph stud to use.
As far as using aluminum, you should be OK.
Wouldn't work here though. The road salt will turn them to dust in two seasons.
I wish I could get ahold of the alloy used for our knuckles.
They are aluminum but seem to be unaffected by road salt.

As I said before, there are so many 2" and 2.5" quality designs out there I wouldn't even try to improve on them, but evidently you like to make your own stuff, and thats good.
Regarding a rear spring spacer, you are correct in your one to one ratio.
It is better for the ride quality, and less stressful to the spacer if it mounted above the spring. By having it above the spring there is no change in unsprung weight.

Thats about all that comes to mind right now,
Rob

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahmed, I disagree,
You have the right vehicle. But you have now admitted you also need a dune buggy.
I wish I needed a dune buggy, living out in the flatlands gets boring
I wish if you could experience our very very soft and dry sand dunes, you will get convenienced that not any car can make it with less problems, and ground clearance is one important factor in sand together with engine power.

Regarding your lift question, I'm sorta wondering why you want to make a lift thats already available? 2" ?
We don't have those 2" lift kits available in our market, and I will have to order it from US which will cost more than its price for shipping only!

The only lift kit that I can get from nearby (UAE) is the 2" OME lift, but that will cost around $1000 including fixing, its a good setup but far too expensive considering the other alternative with around $130 !!

Anyways, there is a 2" kit out there that is comprised of a plate like mine with a spacer welded to it and another plate like mine welded to the spacer.
The strut plate bolts to this spacer lower plate using the original studs. The spacer upper plate bolts through the original holes at the body mount with replacement fasteners.
One of the best 2" designs in my opinion because it minimizes disassembly.
That is exactly my plan for the front spacer :)

for the rear spacer, I think it should be only bolted from the top?

I also thinking about dropping the rear shock mounts by the same lift to avoid stretching the shocks, will this be a good idea ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Driving in the sand is about tires tire pressure and technique...........

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys in pajamas, pushing a car in the desert!
What I see is a truck at an edge !! nothing to do with desert !!

But its really interesting though!!

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
What I see is a truck at an edge !! nothing to do with desert !!
But its really interesting though!!
He was talking about the video you posted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts