Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, this is my first thread so BEAR with me, I have a brand new 2008 Jeep Commander 4 x 4 3.7, I already have all the interior and exterior mods planned out, but here is where I need everyone’s help, I plan on modifying my Commander by adding bigger tires and a lift kit similar to the one seen on ROCKCRAWLER.com

And I needed some advice on whether or not should I do it given that I only have a 3.7, if so, what are the different ways I could increase the HP in the engine, performance, and not compromise my gas mileage.

Well that's it, I intend on starting this summer after my wedding, then I'm going to splurge on my Jeep. I'll keep you guy's posted on the mods I make, I've found some really great additions to mod out yours Commanders.

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DO WHAT!!!!!!!! More than likely I will have someone else do the work, so I need to know exactly what to tell them, but thanks for the quick reply!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
allstatebear said:
I intend on starting this summer after my wedding, then I'm going to splurge on my Jeep.
You have never been married before, have you?:p

Sorry to hijack. It just didn't work that way for me.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
he's in for a surprise! unless of course, she's into the 4x4 experience and encourages him.........oh wait. that was a dream.....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
cico7 said:
he's in for a surprise! unless of course, she's into the 4x4 experience and encourages him.........oh wait. that was a dream.....
Funny... I had the same dream and have a wife who enjoys the trail rides until its time to open the pocket book up. :( Then its "what is it with you and mods to your Jeep. I don't (I start dreaming about mods here)... hello are you listening?!" about then I just quietly squirrel away cash and hope she don't find it. Thats how I got my K&N but it will be harder to hide the wheel fund.

As for the performance. The bigger the tire the harder the engine and tranny has to work to turn them. My personal opinion is on a V6 keep the lift small and the tires not to large because you may get away with it but the tranny and transfer case will pay when you hit that "damn I wish I had 4Lo" moment.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AKFossil said:
As for the performance. The bigger the tire the harder the engine and tranny has to work to turn them. My personal opinion is on a V6 keep the lift small and the tires not to large because you may get away with it but the tranny and transfer case will pay when you hit that "damn I wish I had 4Lo" moment.
How about a 1 to 1.5" lift, and tires between 255 to 265? Of course with CAI and new exhaust?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
allstatebear said:
How about a 1 to 1.5" lift, and tires between 255 to 265? Of course with CAI and new exhaust?
You might be able to get away with 255's, but not 265 on that size lift. There are members running 265's on the 2.25 lift and have rubbing issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CrzCajun said:
You might be able to get away with 255's, but not 265 on that size lift. There are members running 265's on the 2.25 lift and have rubbing issues.
Thanks a lot, I was really skeptical about my Commander because I had a 2005 Chrysler Sebring TSi that I just feel in love with, but I totaled it Dec 5 2007, I hit a car on the open hwy going 60 MPH, did a 180 and flipped over, a week after my son was born, that could have gone either way, I managed to walk away with just 5 scratches on my arm, after waiting on my insurance company, I made the decision to get an SUV, my fiance' liked the Commander, but I was looking at the Dodge Nitro. I really did not like it at first, but man, I love my Commander, It's different from everything else on the road, and I hope to make all you guys proud with my future modifications, I cant wait to get started. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Wow! Happy to see the Sebring did its job in protecting you.

I agree with CrzCajun on tire size. I think start with the CAI and Exhaust in my opinion. As for tires I am a big fan of the BFG ATs here but I have been reading a lot about the Silent Armors (which seem to be a XK Fan Favorite) and kinda torn. I am not a hard core I am out every weekend trail rider. But about 8 miles of my drive into work is dirt roads with the occasional detour:D.

I guess your best bet is to decide how are you going to use the XK and plan from there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree with AK above, do the K&N and look into the exhaust. Heres the link to the first guy on this site (to my knowledge) to do a 3.7 exhaust http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3961

I am currently saving for some performance headers for added torque and HP. Heres the link for this. Nobody has done this mod - http://jbaheaders.com/detail_shortyV.asp?id=1930SJT

I also have the 3.7 and am planning my mods too. I have a few done but are mostly cosmetic. But I think I am planning to do the headers and exhaust before I go lift and tires.

The search bar can be your friend too in your research.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts