Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is going to take a couple weeks off this summer to point the XK in a westerly direction since I've never been places like the grand canyon, Yellowstone, the badlands, etc. and I want my kids to experience these things as well before they turn into evil teenagers.

Because I've only ever flown in to Phoenix and San Diego (aside from driving a U-Haul to move a buddy to Phoenix around 20 years ago) I have no idea where to start. I know we've got more than a couple members out that way so I thought I'd look for some input as far as what we should see. I think we'll be doing more camping than motelling (if that's actually a word) and we'd be driving from Detroit and back, so I was thinking we'd take one track on the way out and another on the way back.

We'd be looking at two weeks, but may try to make it three and it would have to be in the June-July time-frame. I appreciate your input!!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Don't miss Moab, Zion and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...rent a camping trailer. It will carry your gear and is handy for those unplanned needs.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Consider running your trip around camp Commander WC.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Consider running your trip around camp Commander WC.
If the dates work, I'd love to get there. In fact, it was reading the accounts of Commander WC that made me realize I've never had a vacation out west and initiated the discussion with the wife. I think the dates will be driven by our work responsibilities (and the kids' summer vacation) but we're leaning toward July.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My suggestion (having been there/done that):

From Detroit take 90 west - it will take you to the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore and then further on to Yellowstone. If you're adventurous, get a county-level map of the Black Hills area and stay off the "highways". Head south after Yellowstone down through Grand Tetons and then continue south into Colorado or Utah, meet up with the WC Camp Commander, then come back either 80 or 70 (not much of anything along either of those interstates, but 70 was worse in my opinion). This is a good loop for a two week trip. Two years ago I did the Badlands/Yellowstone and back to Madison WI in 10 days/3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brendon - very helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
if you're going as far as the badlands you could go to south dakota and do all the touristy stuff there (i'm from there) like mt. rushmore, crazy horse, see the black hills.. and it's a lot better climate during the summer than phoenix is. the black hills are beautiful, there are lots of "hole in the wall" places like boondocks http://www.fiftiesfun.com/ and places in keystone (on the way to mt. rushmore) that are fun too. there isn't a whole lot to see in wyoming if you hit up the SD badlands. if you go through arizona, visit sedona, it's beautiful! of course the grand canyon if you're up that way.. the scenery is fun to watch as it changes from desert to mountain/forest to the grand canyon.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Saturate.. SD is definitely on the list.

We've been to Sedona ( had some work in Phoenix and took the wife) and my wife wants to go back sometime. Gonna see how the trip goes and maybe do some camping around there on the way out or back..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts