Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out, I ordered the wheel kit from DIPYOURCAR off of amazon. It came in yesterday while I was at work. Last night with after I got home and ate dinner... 12 pack of the ITE and a few hours I finished up with glossifier and a pretty sharp anthracite grey....
#NOmoreChrome..

Let me know what you guys think...

PS: there is a good bit of overspray on the tires, I'm having my new treadwrights installed on Monday- just as soon as FedEx delivers them.
Check out my post in Tires thread for that sick deal I got....

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
that's a pretty nice look, a couple things though...

1. My personal opinion, I have some experience with PlastiDip (however not any good DipYourCar kits) and I have eventually grown to dislike plastidip. It looks nice at first, but doesn't hold up well over time, again, I have not tried any nice kits.

2. You didn't take the balancing weights off, sooo, when you get new tires, those weights come off and will probably go back on in different spots, so you're gonna have weird patches. When I painted my wheels, I just took the weights off and rebalanced with sticky weights when it was done. I didn't notice anything with none of the weights not being on the wheels, actually I think I put it off for like 2 months before I actually got them rebalanced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, tracking the balancing weights issue, I already had to re-spray a big piece of the liftgate chrome panel(was so pissed when I cut and peeled the masking off, it took a postage stamp size chunk of the plastidip with it!). long story short: after debating re-spraying the whole piece, I decided to see what it looked like if I just touched it up... and it evened out really well, and with a top coat or two of the *included* Glossifier, if evened out even better.

*the Glossifier is a non Plastic top coat finishing product and it hardens almost like a polyurethane clearcoat,,, I pressure washed the wheels with 2800PSI this morning after everything cured and they didn't chip or peel at all.... so we'll just have to see how they come out after some trail time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Awesome, well even at the higher quality top coat, the reason rims are typically powder coated is because it is MUCH mightier than other paints, so you may still get chipping over time when enough rocks hit your rims. But at the very least you are protecting your current rims. My rims are painted with a quality clear coat on top, and 5 years later, I've got quite a few rock chips in them. I definitely like that you did a lot of your chrome bits.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update!

just drove 1700 miles cross country to my new duty station in Colorado Springs... and the PlastiDip is still intact, I-70 is murderous and still, everything held up great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts