Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2006 Commander 65th Anniversary Version (Sport, 4x4(Quadra Trac-I)).
The guy at the dealership has limited knowledge and all he said was that QT-1 is full time all wheel drive.

Please tell me more about QT-I. Is it true that QT-1 is a full time all wheel drive? Did anyone here try off roading? How was your experience?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
QT-I is a full time all wheel drive system. It does not have 4 low, only 4 high.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Check out this link for get information on the drive systems: CLICK HERE

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You can use first gear as your "low". I have QT1 and have been as deep as the bottom of the axle in mud and was able to get out.

You will probably never go rock crawling or stump jumping with QT1 but so far I have had no problems.

I think if you find yourself in sand, if you can keep forward momentum, you should have no issues.

BTW, welcome to the forum from the beautiful Ozark mountains!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the same vehicle and have been suprised more than disapointed with the capability of QT-1. I wont deny that it has its limitations but I dont think it gets enough credit either. I have offroaded in the rocks and sand of the Sierra Nevadas while I lived out there and have offroaded in the Mud, sand, ice and snow of Wisconsin. My advice to you - Go do some light offroading and get a feel for what you can and can't do. Learn about the ESP On/Half off/Full off features. Also, some new all terrain tires will help you a ton. The combination of QT-1 and the stock tires could be better off road.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an 07 Sport 3.7 Full Time 4X4.... question one is is the QT-1 a true full time 4X4 or does it send power to the wheels as needed and question two is can you do a transfer case swap from the QT-1 to a QT-2 or something that give you more flexibility?

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
question two is can you do a transfer case swap from the QT-1 to a QT-2 or something that give you more flexibility?
Ive wondered this, tried searching for it but never found an answer... I like this forum but it seems like it is not a very active one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just bought an 07 Sport 3.7 Full Time 4X4.... question one is is the QT-1 a true full time 4X4 or does it send power to the wheels as needed and question two is can you do a transfer case swap from the QT-1 to a QT-2 or something that give you more flexibility?
You would probably come out ahead, and with a lot less issues by just trading it in for one with QT-II. My $.02, but everything on the XK is finicky already.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a QT1 and so far have not been disappointed. It's a pretty capable 4x4 system and you just have to know how to control it and when to use partial-off versus full-off ESP. I put it to the ultimate test during the Chicago Blizzard at the beginning of 2011 and it handled very well, lets just say I was one of the very few vehicles on the road that night. I only got stuck once but who wouldn't have in the conditions I put it in.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Just keep in mind that all three Commander 4X4 systems are basically the same, with just a few changes that can make a big difference. Also keep in mind the EBCS, that does a half-dozen functions to control traction, limit wheels spin, control stability, etc, even the QT1 has that...

So, even though QT1 and QT2 has open differentials, the EBCS will control wheels spin and make it like you have a virtual Limited Slip Differential (LSD). EBCS uses the ABS system to pump brakes at individual wheels and keeps a low traction wheel from slipping and loosing traction.

QT2 adds a transfer case that can go to 4 Low, as long as QT2 is in 4 Hi, there is no difference between the two systems. Like recommended, you don't want to be as agressive with serous off-roading with QT1, because you have no 4 Low to get unstuck, or power through the really soft stuff that boggs you down.

QD2 has the transfer case of QT2, but adds Electronic LSD's (ELSD), that differentials have electronically activated clutch packs that are powered by an oil pump that provides pressure as the differentials spin. These differentials can actually lock or limit slip drastically, and do it more effectively then the EBCS that can only pump the brake at individual wheels. The ELSD is a little larger and thus needs the case modified slightly to fit it, so even though the whole differential assemblies look the same, they are NOT interchangeable, the entire assembly/Axle has to be swapped out. This would give you some rock crawling ability, where the QT1 and QT2 probably have wheels slipping with the EBCS.

Retro-Fitting? Keep in mind everything is electronically controlled, so NOT only do you have to swap mechanical components, you'll likely have swap electronic modules and then reconfigure other electronic modules to get it to work. And since Chrysler saw to it that the only the Dealerships can practically own the tools to access the electronics any deeper than reading a small portion of the codes, this means you likely will have to take it to the dealer and pay their rates for a lot of the work.

Someone did retro-fit QD2 to their Commander and made posts about it on the forum, it did sound very involved and expensive, and he said it did have to make several trips to the dealer to re-configure the electronics correctly.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What are the limitations of an 06 with QD2 and stock tires. And the hemi. What I do alot of back road driving for work and come across some flood outs, deep mud and still water, steep loose dirt hills with water run off trenches sometimes zig zagging.

I've powered my old 3.7l lumina sedan through a lot of the above but I also knew that car for over ten years and could walk that lady through anything. Sorry I digress, I miss that car/truck/car.

What can and or can't the original commander handle sporting the hemi, qd2 and everything stock.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
1,993 Posts
The only thing limiting your QD2 from serious off roading like climbing walls and boulders are the tires and ground clearance. Through a budget lift on and some 32" AT's and you will be almost unstoppable.

QT1 I've lead plenty of these guys down some rocky trails and I'm always impressed what there able to concur. Just this weekend a friend in his QT1 WK took a ledge that only the QT2 and QD2 guys have done in the past and he made it no problem just pick the right lines.

This forum has dropped off in activity but IMO it was the Forums fault for not sticking up for all the guys who mod and wheel there XK's and letting new guys start trouble just went all bad. So they pretty much told us guys who post a lot and mod a lot the guys IMO who make this place interesting to take a hike so we all did just that went to another forum. We all do make a point to stop back in here and check in to lend a hand when people have questions but that's about it. :(

Swapping the TC is possible but a huge PITA. It's the computer that holds you back a little and getting your VIN number reassigned with the right TC to get the right computer from Jeep. There is one guy attempting this I just haven't seen anything from him in a while. One guy did swap to QD2 from QT2 but after reading his thread it's easier and cheaper to just sell and buy another one.

I would just get like an atlas TC or something and when I needed 4Lo I would have the computer systems on a switch and just kill the computer when I needed to.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's good to hear. Not in the market for a lift, I need to keep or improve street handling and performance for work if anything.

What kind of water/mud depths have people made it through QD2 hemi 06 stock?

What would just bigger tires give me and take away from me?

I know some of these questions are pretty green, this is my 1st jeep, vehicle that's not a fwd sedan and I've not even had it a month. I apologize to anyone shaking their head while reading my questions in various threads.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
What kind of water/mud depths have people made it through QD2 hemi 06 stock?
Jeep says not to go deeper than 19 inches in water. With the mud you are pretty much limited to your ground clearance -- any deeper and you will bottom out. Also with mud the stock tires are going to limit you due to their tred design.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts