Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to understand the 'manual' shifter.

I am not new to automatics, we have a 6 speed auto 2007 MX5 GT with paddle shifters. You can shift using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, or choose to upshift/downshift with the shifter knob.

Now on the Commander, there is the +/- option on the shifter... and I know it doesn't work the same way, it isn't a 'manual auto' mode.

Reading through the manual, it says that this allows you to switch between 'top gear' either 4th or 5th...

Can someone explain when this would be used... is it primarily for towing?

Thanks in advance for aleviating my stupidity... :)

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Trying to understand the 'manual' shifter.

I am not new to automatics, we have a 6 speed auto 2007 MX5 GT with paddle shifters. You can shift using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, or choose to upshift/downshift with the shifter knob.

Now on the Commander, there is the +/- option on the shifter... and I know it doesn't work the same way, it isn't a 'manual auto' mode.

Reading through the manual, it says that this allows you to switch between 'top gear' either 4th or 5th...

Can someone explain when this would be used... is it primarily for towing?

Thanks in advance for aleviating my stupidity... :)
You can use it to shift through gears 1 through 4. Occasionally I will use it as a manual shifter instead of using the automatic.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The simple answer is that you can up shift or down shift by simple bumping the shifter once each time to change the gears.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate it! From reading the manual, it doesn't make it apparent that it is like an autostick...

Thanks for letting me know... I'll have to check it out in the morning!

·
Registered
189 Posts
It essentially is an autostick, however it will not shift instantly, or at all under full throttle. I've found it handy for down shifting before a gravely hill to kick pebbles at jacka**es tailing me up my drive :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It's not "like" an autostick, it is autostick. Might not be the best, or the fastest shipping, but that's what it is called by the manufacturer.

Depending on which year you have, when using the autostick yours may go ahead and shift at redline, or in the 2006 at redline it cuts off the engine. Also, in the 06 if you hold to the left, it goes into 1st gear. In the other year models it chooses the "appropriate" gear for your rpm.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's not "like" an autostick, it is autostick. Might not be the best, or the fastest shipping, but that's what it is called by the manufacturer.

Depending on which year you have, when using the autostick yours may go ahead and shift at redline, or in the 2006 at redline it cuts off the engine. Also, in the 06 if you hold to the left, it goes into 1st gear. In the other year models it chooses the "appropriate" gear for your rpm.
If I hold to the left mine shows 1 in the display but doesn't change down until the revs/road speed are low enough.

I tend to use the autostick to go down steep hills and use the engine for braking instead of keeping my foot on the brake and overgheating the pad/discs

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
when you change the gear of the trans using the auto stick it will opperate in any gear below and including the one you have selected. for example if you set the trans to 3rd gear it will not be in 3rd gear from a stop. It will shift from first to second and then stop at third gear.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it... I figured it would be an easy question to answer, it just wasn't clear in the user manual! I didn't want to go messing around with it as an autoshift, to find out that it isn't designed like that! :)

Certainly isn't as intuitive as the one on our MX5, but then they are totally different types of vehicles, with totally different types of driving style.

Thanks again - this forum is great...!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have never used my autoshift on the regular road but have used it a lot on the trail, it is great for downhill and helps keep the foot off the brake.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is a kind of autostick, and will allow you to holdin lower gears, etc, but you really cant force it to upshift much earlier than it would automatically. i.e You cant make it shift into 5th gear at 15 mph. It is still mostly an automatic, but allows you to up or down shift within reason or hold gears much easier. Is a nice feature, I like it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use it for downshifting on the downhills all the time on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Here is another good use for the shifter. I often tow a trailer with my jeep and sometimes you need to pass a truck on the highway or just want to have alittle more power knowing there is an upcoming hill. You can downshift to give yourself alittle more power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts