Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all fellow commander owners

Can anyone help. i'm looking to fit my 06 commander "Sherman" with a set of 22" aftermarket alloy wheels but can't find any info on whether the tyre pressure sensors can be attached to any wheels or what happens if you leave them off the new wheels.

I can see there are loads of owners on here with non stock wheels. how have you all done it??

Many thanks for your help regarding this thread!

Phil

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've never heard of any issues carrying over TPM sensors to aftermarket rims, but I guess there may always be the exception. More than likely, you can just reuse your factory ones. If you don't put in any sensors you'll have that nice yellow light on letting you know the computer is not reading any sensors.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think TPM's are pretty common in new vehicles. I would just check with your wheel source and installer and be sure the new wheels will accomodate them. You should be able to re-use your existing TPM's.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I have sensors fitted to my 20" Rims with no problems at all....My local dealer fitted the Jeep sensors for me....happy days since!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

The sensors are just part of the air filler valves .. they don't HAVE to be used to fill the tires with air .. as long as they are in the presurized part of the tire they will still work.

If worst comes to worst and the original ones won't fit your new rims .... what they do is just band them onto the rim inside of the rim.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The local tire shop just took the sensors off the stock rims and installed them on the aftermarket ones. No problems here.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Guys!!

Really Helpful information, wish i'd found this site a year ago when i bought the car!!

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just installed a set of 22" on my XK, I went to discount tire for TPMS, they said they have one specifically designed for jeep (I hope it will work). It is not installed yet bec they had only 2 in stock. I will have it all installed on monday. I will let you know when it is done.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I just installed a set of 22" on my XK, I went to discount tire for TPMS, they said they have one specifically designed for jeep (I hope it will work). It is not installed yet bec they had only 2 in stock. I will have it all installed on monday. I will let you know when it is done.
H Drako. There were different part nbrs for different model years XK's. Also, does your XK have the module(s) to receive the reading from the TPM sensors? I don't know if you already know this then good, but in case you were not aware, you need the sensing sending unit on the valve stem in each wheel and a module in each wheel well to pick up the reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pressure

There is no problem switching them over, however aftermarket rims have to be set at a higher pressure which sets them off. They only stay on for a few minutes though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
H Drako. There were different part nbrs for different model years XK's. Also, does your XK have the module(s) to receive the reading from the TPM sensors? I don't know if you already know this then good, but in case you were not aware, you need the sensing sending unit on the valve stem in each wheel and a module in each wheel well to pick up the reading.

Thanks GP,
I don't know about the module, they said it will work so I will see it on monday. The stock one shows the exact pressure on each wheel. I will mention it it to them about the module just to be sure.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't able to respond last monday as i promised. Anyway, I had the the tire sensor placed and it is working well. It is getting a good signal from the sensor. I hope everything will work well with yours!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts