Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K. I finally decided and I am going to go with the 265-70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs with 17x8.5 Fuel Hostage wheels! The only concerns I am having is whether or not the tires will rub without spacers. Oh and I have a 2.25" RR lift kit if that helps. Also the rims I am getting have an offset of 14. I don't really understand what this means...

·
Registered
370 Posts
The DuraTracs have a real big tread line but with that offset I am pretty sure you will clear the ball joint bolt (if not you can trim it). However, I think you will probably have to do the pinch weld mod to clear the wheel wall. My 245/75/17 DuraTracs clear the bolt but rub the wheel wall. I am running a 2" lift with no spacers and stock wheels.

I am sure others will comment if I am incorrect.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Okay guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but, with that wheel and a offset of 14 your backspace of the wheel is roughly 5.3. most guys on here runs wheels with around 4.5 of 5 in of backspace. sense the stock commander wheel has a backspace of 6, this means that a wheel with 4.5 will be pushed out 1.5 in. which is the equivalent of running 1.5 inch spacers. At 5.3 bs you probably will be rubbing a lot.

If you could find some 17x8.5 wheels with +24 offset, that would be equivalent to 1.25 spacers and will align your tire with the outside of the fender.

view this thread... http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13197

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No wheel spacers needed. Those wheels should work fine. +14 offset = 5.3 inches of back spacing and that is ideal for our vehicles. You will most likely have to do the pinch weld mod, but that should be done anyways when you are installing 265/70's on a Commander.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pinch weld mod??? Even if i knew what this was i dont think id be capable of doing it. Do you think the local tire store would do this for me?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think ill just go with bigger spacers. seems like an easier option, may not be cheaper, but definitely easier for a guy like me that isnt the best handy man! haha

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
i think ill just go with bigger spacers. seems like an easier option, may not be cheaper, but definitely easier for a guy like me that isnt the best handy man! haha
With bigger tires you're still going to have to do the pinch weld mod if you don't want any rubbing.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Dude, if you are buying wheels, get the correct backspacing/offset and you will not need the spacers.

If you want to run stock wheels, then get the wheel spacers.

Regardless, like Jeep5253 said, you need to do the pinch weld mod. Look at Matt's post on how to do it, before you give up on it. If you can hold an angle grinder and swing a hammer, you can do the pinch weld mod.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Regardless with a 265/70 your going to run if the pinch weld mod isnt done along with remolding the plastic inner fender well. Its very early to do. If you can change a flat tire you can do the pinch weld mod. If you dont want to do the mod then dont go with 265/70's, go with 255/70's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay that doesnt look that hard at all, but why did that guy use primer/paint on his??? dont you just put the plastic cover right on top of the pinch weld?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
lol was that guy you Matt?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The pinch weld mod doesn't do anything cause the tires will still rub on the wheel wells
Part of the mod is reforming the plastic wheel wells with a heat gun. Did you look at the entire thread on the mod? It shows how to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts