Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puting on the rear hitch and for some reason the bumper will not come off. I have looked at the directions several times and nothing is clear. Are there hidden screws some where I have removed everything indicated on the directions. Please Help

:icon_confused:

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check when I get home to see if its the rivits that I have to remove. My work computer does not show pics. I have removed all the resuable rivits and the 2 rear screws by the lights as well.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Underneath on the side part of the bumper, there is a metal bar that is held in by two reusable rivets. There's one of both sides and they both have to come off. You should be able to see it with a flashlight. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stuck in one spot

Ok I got the rear bumper off finally there were 4 rivits that need to be removed. Ok here is one more question ran the wiring harness up to the battary the blue/purple (I think thats the color) wire where does that go? It looks like it goes through the fire wall but I am not for sure any help would be great.

·
2,248 Posts
I am not sure what harness you ran. Usually the Brake actuator wire is blue according to the standard color code used most. That wire goes from the output of a brake controller mounted up front (usually under the dash and within reach) to the brake wires that actuate the electric brakes. (not to be confused with the brake lights)

This is just a guess because I am not sure if you are using an aftermarket wire harness or the factory whiich could be different. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure what harness you ran. Usually the Brake actuator wire is blue according to the standard color code used most. That wire goes from the output of a brake controller mounted up front (usually under the dash and within reach) to the brake wires that actuate the electric brakes. (not to be confused with the brake lights)

This is just a guess because I am not sure if you are using an aftermarket wire harness or the factory whiich could be different. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse things.

I am using the one from MOPOR not aftermarket. The color you said is the color I am talking about but do I have to run that through the firewall? Do I have to hook that up? to the brake sensor under the dash?

·
2,248 Posts
That wire is usually used for an aftermarket brake controller. The wire would go thru the grommet in the firewall and attach to an output from the controller (such as a Hayes controller) which sends voltage thru the wire to the trailer connector plug where a wire from the magnet on the brakes gets the signal and applies different amounts of braking force depending on the amount of voltage.

There is not a controller built in as part of the Commander. The aftermarket controller gets its signal either from a pad that mounts over your brake pedal or from a hydraulic tee that measures your brake fluid pressure or from an electronic signal from a pendulum insdie the controller.

You might do a Google search on Hayes brake controllers or other controller for a better explaination with pictures.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts