Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
‘08 5.7 Limited QD-II
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys can someone guide me how to scan or check if all the essential sensors are running good. Iam getting really bad fuel economy around 4km/ltr so to begin with i am thinking of checking all the sensors such as O2 MAF MAP.

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
33 Posts
4 km /liter = about 9.6 mile/gallon for us American people, If that is urban driving (stop/go, speeds less than 45 mile per hour= 75 km per hour, with air conditioners running), that is about the correct fuel use. If you were to get that mileage while driving highway speeds (60 mile per hour = 100 km per hour), then you are correct in looking for the cause.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
Yea the 5.7 does use gas, I get 12 MPG in city driving and maybe 19 on the highway. The Commander checks all those sensors and will throw codes if bad. You might try a reset of the computer by removing the negative side of the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting. You will need to reset some things like radio presets et. after doing that. The engine will go through a relearn over the next several days. Also can you tell if the MDS is working? That will help gas usage when it works.

Reactions: Sadiq

·
Registered
‘08 5.7 Limited QD-II
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 km /liter = about 9.6 mile/gallon for us American people, If that is urban driving (stop/go, speeds less than 45 mile per hour= 75 km per hour, with air conditioners running), that is about the correct fuel use. If you were to get that mileage while driving highway speeds (60 mile per hour = 100 km per hour), then you are correct in looking for the cause.
Yes urban driving and we use E95 fuel here so is that normal mileage?

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
33 Posts

·
Registered
‘08 5.7 Limited QD-II
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the 5.7 does use gas, I get 12 MPG in city driving and maybe 19 on the highway. The Commander checks all those sensors and will throw codes if bad. You might try a reset of the computer by removing the negative side of the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting. You will need to reset some things like radio presets et. after doing that. The engine will go through a relearn over the next several days. Also can you tell if the MDS is working? That will help gas usage when it works.
Yes i did the reset there are no codes neither were earlier MDS is running

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whoever might have told you that a Jeep Commander (with any engine size) gets good gas mpg was lying to you. They're all pretty terrible. My 4.7, if I use 87 octane and coast at every opportunity might, just might see 14-15 miles per gallon in the city driving that I regularly do, typical driving in town I may get 12-14 though. If I load it down with E85 then I'll see anywhere from 9 to 11, maybe 12mpg if I really coast all the flipping time with it. Before I just filled up my XK with 87 octane yesterday, I had depleted a full tank of E85 and the average mpg at that time was all of 8.4 miles to the gallon. Don't you just love your XK?

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
33 Posts
I think E91 is 91% alcohol, and 9% gasoline
E85 is 85% alcohol and 15% gasoline (so the Americans will not drink it!)
The 87 octane and 89 octane are different ratings or "strengths" of about 99.9% pure gaoline

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
The least we have here is E91
The HEMI is not designed to use ethanol gasoline. Unless a vehicle is specically designed (flex fuel) to run ethanol gasoline you should not use anything over E15 because it will harm the components of the fuel system.

·
Registered
~~2008 Overland 5.7 HEMI~~
102 Posts
My 2008 5.7 gets 10.4 mpg pretty consistently. 90%of my driving is in town, stop and go. Coasting? LOL what’s that?! I drive ‘er like I stole ‘er (which I basically did🙏🏽💖) with AC on all year round and almost exclusively in tow/haul mode. I enjoy her so much every single day that I just don’t care how thirsty she gets. To me, it’s totally worth it. It’s crazy how much I 🖤 this thing. And am still discovering things I didn’t know she could do.

Off topic... She gets a lot of looks, especially at stop lights, etc. It was a little creepy at first until I realized they’re lookin at her and not me. 🤣🤓. Even the “young kids” dig her. Few days ago I was kicking back in the back with the liftgate up (I’ve got her pretty kushy back there as that’s where I spend a lot of time) and a kid about my son’s age (18) was walking up with just the biggest grin on his face, like Christmas morning or something. He couldn’t take his eyes off ‘er and says in the most Jeff Spicoli way, “SWEEEET JEEEEEEP”.😎 I can’t deny that it totally made my day. His adoration was just so authentic, I loved it. (Plus I get to keep my Cool Mom Cape for another day!💪🏽💥)

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
Reactions: LunaSea831

·
Registered
‘08 5.7 Limited QD-II
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoever might have told you that a Jeep Commander (with any engine size) gets good gas mpg was lying to you. They're all pretty terrible. My 4.7, if I use 87 octane and coast at every opportunity might, just might see 14-15 miles per gallon in the city driving that I regularly do, typical driving in town I may get 12-14 though. If I load it down with E85 then I'll see anywhere from 9 to 11, maybe 12mpg if I really coast all the flipping time with it. Before I just filled up my XK with 87 octane yesterday, I had depleted a full tank of E85 and the average mpg at that time was all of 8.4 miles to the gallon. Don't you just love your XK?
It was expected but that MAF needs to be checked soon as the consumption is bit weired

·
Registered
‘08 5.7 Limited QD-II
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2008 5.7 gets 10.4 mpg pretty consistently. 90%of my driving is in town, stop and go. Coasting? LOL what’s that?! I drive ‘er like I stole ‘er (which I basically did🙏🏽💖) with AC on all year round and almost exclusively in tow/haul mode. I enjoy her so much every single day that I just don’t care how thirsty she gets. To me, it’s totally worth it. It’s crazy how much I 🖤 this thing. And am still discovering things I didn’t know she could do.

Off topic... She gets a lot of looks, especially at stop lights, etc. It was a little creepy at first until I realized they’re lookin at her and not me. 🤣🤓. Even the “young kids” dig her. Few days ago I was kicking back in the back with the liftgate up (I’ve got her pretty kushy back there as that’s where I spend a lot of time) and a kid about my son’s age (18) was walking up with just the biggest grin on his face, like Christmas morning or something. He couldn’t take his eyes off ‘er and says in the most Jeff Spicoli way, “SWEEEET JEEEEEEP”.😎 I can’t deny that it totally made my day. His adoration was just so authentic, I loved it. (Plus I get to keep my Cool Mom Cape for another day!💪🏽💥)
Hahaha true mine get noticed always the box shape is prominent yeah tow haul mode its a different vehicle all together 😁

·
Registered
2006 Limited 4.7 Quadra-Trac II
10 Posts
Might as well throw my 2 cents in haha. As most everyone has said previously, any engine option that comes in the XKs generally have a drinking problem. My 2006 with the 4.7 drinks fuel like it’s going out of style. Solid 11 around town. But I have seen it get up to at least 17-19 on trips. I usually check my mileage by taking the miles on that tank and dividing that by how many gallons(or liters) I put it in. I’ve given up on trying to achieve decent mileage haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts