Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the Dremel to the stock air box and the results were great..i had already spent the money for the drop in K&N filter and didnt want to drop extra on a whole new intake since im getting my exhaust very soon..

left the side closest to the engine to act as a heat shield, and left the grill mounted scoop...took off the bottom resonator tube thingy cuz its pointless after this...

results......

throttle response is GREATLY improved....

has a nice little grunt to it...nothing annoying

gas milage instantly went up about 2 mpg's (based on computer) all city driving......only had it on 1 night so actual gas milage will come later....

EDIT: let me add the the Lid is put back on, looks unaltered from engine bay view

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
definity not...lol the lid is put back on...looks unaltered from the engine bay view

looks like a hack job but i have plently of experience with intakes, installs, builds etc..

in theory this is a great idea and performs well........lets in tons of air while keeping engine heat away...way better than some of the aftemarket designs with metal heat shields and aluminum tubes that heat up..

now the only restricting part is the accordian hose from the air box to the throttle body which may be good for a hp or so...

·
Registered
79 Posts
What can I say?! If it works, then I guess it's all good. At least you are trying out different things to make your XK perform better. Definately, working with what you have. Good job, even though it does look like a hack job. don't have experience working on intakes, exhausts, etc. That is why I would fork out the extra dough for parts. I used to have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES and there was a guy who made a special intake for the car. I dunno if any of you guys know of him but the name of the product is called J-Intakes. He made an awesome intake for less than 200 dollars in his garage. Almost got one but I had to get rid of the car. Anyways, good work IDC2335.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Any chance of water from the bottom getting in the intake?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my800 said:
Any chance of water from the bottom getting in the intake?

never say never.....but it would have to be one hell ove a puddle ...or river..but no more of a chance than any other intake system

bigazian80 said:
What can I say?! If it works, then I guess it's all good. At least you are trying out different things to make your XK perform better. Definately, working with what you have. Good job, even though it does look like a hack job. don't have experience working on intakes, exhausts, etc. That is why I would fork out the extra dough for parts. I used to have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES and there was a guy who made a special intake for the car. I dunno if any of you guys know of him but the name of the product is called J-Intakes. He made an awesome intake for less than 200 dollars in his garage. Almost got one but I had to get rid of the car. Anyways, good work IDC2335.
Also Once installed it no longer looks like a hack job..it looks like i never touched it....and im gaining power and saving gas...for free

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you work on cars as much as you say you do then you'll know this term: hydrolock. If you don't know it, you should learn it because I see that in your future. I don't see this as a better design than aftermarket ones, sorry.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
penguin said:
If you work on cars as much as you say you do then you'll know this term: hydrolock. If you don't know it, you should learn it because I see that in your future. I don't see this as a better design than aftermarket ones, sorry.
well aware of the term and effects, but dont see it as a threat, its a huge filter bout 4 feet off the ground and its blocked by the wheel well and all sorts of stuff from the ground up.....i do no off roading and dont plan to drive through any rivers....ill check the filter after a good drive in the rain and post results.. if it gets wet, its an easy fix, just make a little shield underneath.. once you close the hood all the aftermarket systems have a sealed top and open bottom as well...no one questions them...you guys are rough

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Hydrolock is the immobilization of an engine's pistons by a liquid... to assure we are clear on the meaning....prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage .........

This occurs when you get water into the intake.....It is relatively common when driving through floods, either where the water is above the level of the air intake or the vehicle's speed is excessive, creating a tall bow wave.

That being said - Keep the water level below the intake manifold and no tall bow waves. I nosed into a bow wave once and filled the foredeck with water and all but flooded the boat. But we pumped the water out and kept going.

The same thing will happen with any intake if you get into too deep water or run thru a wake. He may be a little more at risk than the person with a standard intake, so if you run into high water, turn the snorkel over. I think it's a great idea. You have the filter in place to hold back splashes and normal rain. Quit HACKIN On The Guy With Innovative Ideas!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not hacking on the guy, just giving my opinion (which is what this board is for). I'm not arguing it's good initiative. Also hydrolock isn't just from running through a big puddle. Your filter can act like a sponge and soak up water which then can start leaking water into your intake. If you have a great week of rain all you have to do is check that open filter and you'll see what I mean. All that underhood splashing will get that filter fairly wet (cotton-gauze filters are notorious for this). To me I would feel safer with running a CAI with a bypass valve. Again, good initiative, but I'd be worried to run it down here.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
bigazian80 said:
JoeKD, I picked up some of his parts at a meet we had at his place. He did some testing and once you replace the factory air tube with the less restrictive one, there's barely any difference between the cone filter and the drop in. That would also depend on how much you open up the box.

http://www.j-intakes.com/

ldc2335, I've seen guys open big holes in there in their stock air boxes but none as free flowing as yours. That's actually pretty clever, open up the flow as much as possible, retain a wall to separate cold/hot air, and do it virtually for nothing. By the time you get any water up there, a cone filter would have been submersed. Nice Job! Not the prettiest but you'll never see that part of it, looks stock from the top.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i like your idea. i've done it on other vehicles.

my plan is to replace the tubing / pipe with some stainless steel tubing. and then run a K&N or Foam style drop-in filter.

i need to replace my air filter anyway. so this may be what i do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good discussion all. That's what the forum is about. Trading ideas . no one should be taking this personal.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I dont know...... I'm all for modding and have done it to every car I have ever owned, but this makes me cringe............. I have a drop in filter, and have thought of ways of opening the airflow. In the past I have drilled 3" holes in the sides of boxes before, but that looks too radical for me.

I plan to eliminate the dryer hose and resonator box at the throttle body eventually, just need the time, but it will have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YB Normyl said:
Ldc2335, I've seen guys open big holes in there in their stock air boxes but none as free flowing as yours. That's actually pretty clever, open up the flow as much as possible, retain a wall to separate cold/hot air, and do it virtually for nothing. By the time you get any water up there, a cone filter would have been submersed. Nice Job! Not the prettiest but you'll never see that part of it, looks stock from the top.
it could look alot nicer, i was in a bit of a hurry...i also chose to keep the front scoop and the section of the bottom that has the support thing on it... but you could actually follow the line at the top all the way around, and also remove the scoop, leaving only the right side wall and the mount in the back and left side and it would look nicer..

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's all good guys. I like IDC2335's idea on the airbox. He is right that it can look better but that is what modding and chopping is all about. Trying something different and ifit doesn't work, you can always buy a new one. If I had the time and tools to do it, I would definately try new things with what I have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree on performance for cheap. I went with an Airraid jr. Has high flow filter, black plastic tube and sits in the stock air box for $110 off ebay.... Looks very nice and clean.....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts