Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of trying to decide what lift/tires to get for our XK I finally decided to put on a RR lift. I just got the spacers, no shocks because I've heard they are trash. I also upgraded the rotors to a drilled/slotted rotor with new pads to accommodate the larger 265/70/17 Cooper STT's and I'm also running Spidertrax 1.5 spacers. (pics soon to follow)

Went out this AM for the first time after getting her all done to slowly brake in the brakes. All was well, no sounds, ran smooth with slight rubbing on the fender well (pinch mod already done) when at near full lock. As I drove around later in the day, I noticed that it would make a popping sound in the front when I would start to go at a green light. Then it seems to have gotten worse, happens when I stop, start, and occasionally when I slightly turn the wheel. I feel it in the floorboard whenever it happens. I also noticed when I pulled into the garage, it popped as well. Swaybar bushings?? Ball joints??

I'm going to pull each front wheel off one at a time in the morning. Plan is to jack it up on the lower ball joint, spin the wheel and see if I hear anything, then take it off and reinspect all of my "handy-work". Any ideas??

btw, thanks to all of you guys this was a pretty straightforward process. I love this forum, been coming here for a long time learning from the pro's. Thanks for everything....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad ya figured it out!

-Ross

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd be careful with those drilled rotors... usually all that does is compromise the structure of the rotors and make them prone to cracking easily. Slotted can be okay, but I'd never go drilled as they're usually cheaply made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be careful with those drilled rotors... usually all that does is compromise the structure of the rotors and make them prone to cracking easily. Slotted can be okay, but I'd never go drilled as they're usually cheaply made.
I was curious about that. Heard some stories of that happening but with the mountain driving here in Colorado, brakes get hot quick. They were an extremely tight fit especially with new pads.

I know I've added more weight to the XK, but is it normal to feel like it's really sluggish? It's almost as if the brakes are being applied. It's probably all in my head, I'm noticing everything now. The hum/slight vibration from the tires really freaked me out at first, never had tires like this before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It potentially could be from the additional rolling mass of the larger tires. It shouldn't feel like your brakes are applied... but it should at a minimum be a little more noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts