Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have an issue with our 2007 XK that I can't seem to figure out. Yesterday we removed the passenger side front wheel (all that was removed) to check fitment for one of our new parts. We reinstalled the wheel and torqued the lug nuts to factory spec, and yes we actually did torque them. Now under light acceleration and braking we have a popping noise.

I jacked it up again today to check the tie rods and the right side has a slight clicking noise and is a little looser than the driver side. So then I removed the tire to inspect the tie rod further. I removed the nut on the outer tie rod to check it and it feels smooth and the inner tie rod doesn't seem to have any play. I know you get more leverage with the wheel on but it felt fine. My dad and I have a slight disagreement. He thinks it's the tie rod I think it's the lower control arm bushings. Any input would be apreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Sounds to me that through the course of all of your work and troubleshooting that there is some component of your front end and/or suspension, that has not been torqued down correctly.

Most suspension & front end components have a factory torque specification, however, some of these torque specifications need to be done while the vehicle is sitting on the ground, "under load" to meet the factory requirements.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sounds to me that through the course of all of your work and troubleshooting that there is some component of your front end and/or suspension, that has not been torqued down correctly.

Most suspension & front end components have a factory torque specification, however, some of these torque specifications need to be done while the vehicle is sitting on the ground, "under load" to meet the factory requirements.
This is something that often gets overlooked. :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'd say lower control arm bushings

Check the bolts. When I had my alignment done the shop did not properly torque the LCA. My rear LCA bushing is looking pretty bad now. Most of my noise is gone since torquing it. I need to get around to replacing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts