Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to get this done for along time... A guy on jeepgarage.org (Flyin' Ryan) does them but he charges $240 for them while that is still cheap compared to an aftermarket throttle body I couldn't see paying that for probably not much gain.. My local machine shop said he charges around $100 to do it but didn't seem interested in doing it :( So i figured i could!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its not perfect by any means but it helped for sure, my jeep really pulls hard now above 2500RPM, people have claimed to gain some MPG from doing this.. we'll see im going on a little trip of about 300mile so hopefully that will let me know if i've gained anything or not....

·
Banned
389 Posts
I know I would be very interested in seeing if you got a bump up in mpg from the polishing, hope to see your post on it soon.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice that you saved the money in doing this. Seems to me there are a lot of bottlenecks as far as air flow for the HEMI. I have opened most of them up on my past engines but I want to stay away from creating noise since this is my wife's car. I may do a couple of things on the intake side if people are seeing gains. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No update on mileage yet... I wasn't satisfied with my work so i took it to what i fill is the max :) Polished it up much nicer too!

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you do this? :icon_confused: Tools, etc. Thank you. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just out of curiosity, how did you do this? :icon_confused: Tools, etc. Thank you. :eek:rangehat:
Die grinder to start off removing the "big" stuff, then a dremel drum sander attachment to smooth it out(100grit i think) then hand sanded it with 500,1000,1500 sandpaper, lastly a little Mother wheel polish! Took about 2.5 hours :thumbsup:

·
Banned
389 Posts
Well worth the time involved if you own the right dremel tool set up. I had port matched/polished heads and intake on my SHO and on the dyno. Vedder Performance was claiming 12 hp. out of the 3.4 L. Yamaha engine. I had replaced the camshaft to the Stage II Performance and added a larger mass airflow at the same time I had that work done so I felt more gain than that. With that background w/ my Taurus and building that engine (it eventually also had a 75 hp. shot of N2O also) I know for sure that if you want to put in the time and effort to polish a throttle body you should see small gains. Seeing Lt JWS post up this project is bringing back fond memories of my SHO build up and now the wheels are turning in my head about removing my TB off my 4.7 L one of these afternoons and doing what he has done with his.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Well worth the time involved if you own the right dremel tool set up. I had port matched/polished heads and intake on my SHO and on the dyno. Vedder Performance was claiming 12 hp. out of the 3.4 L. Yamaha engine. I had replaced the camshaft to the Stage II Performance and added a larger mass airflow at the same time I had that work done so I felt more gain than that. With that background w/ my Taurus and building that engine (it eventually also had a 75 hp. shot of N2O also) I know for sure that if you want to put in the time and effort to polish a throttle body you should see small gains. Seeing Lt JWS post up this project is bringing back fond memories of my SHO build up and now the wheels are turning in my head about removing my TB off my 4.7 L one of these afternoons and doing what he has done with his.
When you are ready to do yours, I'll drive over and you can do mine! :banana_hitit:

·
Banned
389 Posts
Seeing that you are from Ft. Wayne I'm hoping your also a fellow Indianapolis Colts fan, if so, I'd hook ya up because fans gotta stick together. I'm going to seriously give this some consideration because I am always looking for an edge on my engines, and I am treating my 4.7 L just like everything else I've owned, if it can be modified safely and get me more power for a decent return on my time and buck then I will end up doing it. It sounds silly to most, but since I am mostly interested in making my ride faster I've also given consideration to the idea of seeing what nitrous would do to my engine too. Here comes the floodgates opening up to criticism to that posted statement, but to anyone who would respond with some catty comment about blowing things up then they've likely never done a nitrous build, and if you have and have experienced catastrophic failure (do a YouTube search if your at all curious) yes, it happens, but typically only to the greedy (seeking too much power), the dumb (not having the set up right on either the N2O or the fuel side), or the lazy (not keeping up on proper maintenance, cleaning or care of the engine. May the flood of criticism begin, I like opening up an area of debate, research and conversation on a topic that I can almost safely bet has never been breeched here on this forum...ha ha! :)

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Seeing that you are from Ft. Wayne I'm hoping your also a fellow Indianapolis Colts fan, if so, I'd hook ya up because fans gotta stick together. I'm going to seriously give this some consideration because I am always looking for an edge on my engines, and I am treating my 4.7 L just like everything else I've owned, if it can be modified safely and get me more power for a decent return on my time and buck then I will end up doing it. It sounds silly to most, but since I am mostly interested in making my ride faster I've also given consideration to the idea of seeing what nitrous would do to my engine too. Here comes the floodgates opening up to criticism to that posted statement, but to anyone who would respond with some catty comment about blowing things up then they've likely never done a nitrous build, and if you have and have experienced catastrophic failure (do a YouTube search if your at all curious) yes, it happens, but typically only to the greedy (seeking too much power), the dumb (not having the set up right on either the N2O or the fuel side), or the lazy (not keeping up on proper maintenance, cleaning or care of the engine. May the flood of criticism begin, I like opening up an area of debate, research and conversation on a topic that I can almost safely bet has never been breeched here on this forum...ha ha! :)
When you mentioned that you use Lucas oil products, I was going to mention that there is a Stadium in Indianapolis with their name on it........................:icon_cheers:

·
Banned
389 Posts
Been There

Watched the Colts beat Jacksonville there last December, great place. First time I got back to Indi. since it was built. I used to live there. Saw plenty of games at the old RCA Dome. GO COLTS! (Hope we have a season this year!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know I would be very interested in seeing if you got a bump up in mpg from the polishing, hope to see your post on it soon.
I would think that more air, means more fuel, which means more power, which means a decrease in gas mileage?

Would you need an air intake and a programmer to make it worth it?

·
Banned
389 Posts
I would think that you would not need an upgraded air intake (say K&N) or an upgraded tune (say Superchips) to see a benefit in airflow from doing this polishing. More air means more efficiency but your computer is still gonna give you the same fuel curve based on either the stock tune or an upgraded tune from a power programmer so as far as gas mileage goes, you should see an almost un-noticeable change (to the good)...the only thing port matching and polishing air flow internal surfaces will do for you is reduce turbulence inside the engine creating more efficiency and boost horsepower...you get zero extra torque from this because volumetric efficiency is only gained on most engines when pulled on a dyno after polishing above 4K rpms. So something like this would likely give you an extra 5 hp (my educated guess) above 3,500 rpms. Not very noticeable on a 305 hp engine, but added to an upgraded tune, K&N it does help. Every hp. I can get for free from modifying friction (ZMax in the engine oil) or increased airflow is worth it in my mind, especially when polishing only takes time and not money (except for possibly replacing a gasket) to do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was just basing my question from my experience with my Grand Prix. I know when we we went with larger throttle bodies, it required the PCM to be re-tuned, to benefit from the increase in air. I am not sure if it matters that they were supercharged motors or not.

It does not make sense to me that if you increase the air-fuel ratio, you would get better MPG.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe the PCM will eventually adjust due to changes in airflow. So does this mean increase or decrease in gas mileage, who knows.

We may feel improvements in throttle response immediately after the install (CAI or throttle body modification), but the computer will slowly take these performance improvements back to stock.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Your not increasing the air to fuel ratio, your only increasing how much faster, and straighter the air flows into the engine = more power (only horsepower, really no gain in torque on a dyno).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry its taken me so long to update.... My results are I've gained just over 1MPG(1.2 so far and thats not being easy on it!), but the best part is the power.... The passing power is amazing... it reminds me of the Mustang GT I traded in on it. Well worth it.. now all i need is a real CAI to take full advantage of it!

·
Banned
389 Posts
Lt JWS thanks for that update. Glad to hear that your also really interested in making more power outta your 4.7 L too. I have the '08 4.7 L. and I have the Superchips Flashpaq tune, since our engines are really different (heads on up actually) I'm wondering if you'll be also getting a tuner for even more performance. Bang for the buck, it gave me the most power added so far for my money, can only assume it would also do the same for you. I also hear that the HEMI guys also get a real nice jump in power from it too! Thanks for inspiring some of us with the polishing, I am definitely going to find the time one of these weekends to do my TB now too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts