Jeep Commander Forum banner

Portable GPS or In-Dash GPS

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you can get a pretty good portable GPS for no more than $200. Some come with bluetooth and other options.

The cheapest In-Dash system I could find was around $400 dollars. And I will probably get what I pay for. Ofcourse the sleek in-dash feel has its own benefits, but it will attrack no good people to trying to break in to steal it. (It doesnt matter if you have a police officer as a security system. If they want it they will steal it!)

Or you can go portable with a Garmin or Tom Tom.

In-dash comes with many options including hard drives, dvd player, bluetooth, and much more.

My question is, what did you go with and why?!?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have an in dash in my Commander and a portable Garmin that I take with me in all my other vehicles.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I purchased my Jeep new, but it didn't come with a Nav unit. I do not like all of the wires showing, so I went for the Navus by Mopar, a unit built for Chrysler by Garmin. I just upgraded it to City Navigator 2009. It it mounted permantly to the top of the dash, at eye level, and is wired directly to the Jeep. The screen is small (4"), but it serves my purpose, and does not look like an afterthought.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I went with the OERadio indash unit because of all the features packed into a factory-lookalike headunit. If this unit wasn't an option I would have gone with a portable GPS. The reasoning behind either choice stems from the goal to not have things look like a teenager installed his stereo in my car. "Dash kits" and whatnot just can't look factory clean, and taint the appearance of an otherwise "high-end" head unit install. Portable units, however, are meant to be portable, and won't really attract negative attention if a wire or two is showing. I vote you either retro-fit an REC unit, install the Navus system, or just enjoy the simplicity of a Garmin.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
In Dash in my XK and a portable Garmin for the Solara, Safari and Mazda 3. I had the after market dash kit trim painted Khaki to match the dash.

·
2,248 Posts
I have the factory in dash. It is easy to use and the screen doubles as a backup camera display. I like the set it and forget it and the voice messages that use the sound system.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts

The front of the kit framing/surrounding the head unit( I guess it is a sort of bezel) is black vinyl/plastic, and I did'nt like the way it looked against the dash (Kahki color), so I had the black pieces sprayed to match the existing color. Looked a little better to me.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It is pretty close to the factory color. Impressive, especially considering it's over the black. What did you use? Who did it?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Thanks! - actually it is not finished, needs one or two more coats to smooth it out a little more. I light sanded the two black pieces and bought a can of camo spray paint(in the outdoors dept at Wal Mart) that was the closest I could find to match "over the counter". There is a half dollar sized plug on the top/center of the dash board that I removed and took with me(an XK color swatch?) to try to match up with the paint. Eventually I'll take it out and light sand it once more and finish the job.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well I'm even more impressed now that I know it was done with a Wal-Mart spray can! Good work. I was wondering if it was this:
http://www.3dproducts.com/hi-techvinylplasticandcarpetdyes.aspx
My flip down monitor is off from the factory color by just a half shade. I was considering this dye to try and match it up, but maybe I'll just head to Wally World!

Ok, we can go back to the original topic now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am leaning toward the portable. I could always upgrade later and just leave the portable gps in my other vehicle. I would love to be able to just upload my music though instead of using an ipod or cd. Maybe, for my birthday or christmas I could ask for an IN-DASH unit! I guess it depends on available funs! Does installing an aftermarket unit void any electrical system warranties?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I have an in dash in my Commander and a portable Garmin that I take with me in all my other vehicles.
X2, though sometimes I use the Garmin in the XK so I can have the touchscreen benes which the REC NAV doesn't have.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I voted in dash. Why? Because not only do you get the navigation but you also get a new aftermarket stereo head unit that doesn't suck like the OEM one does.

Of course there is nothing OEM left in my truck electronic wise.

I have a portable unit also, It is a very good unit and sometimes is even more detailed than my Alpine in areas. Get what fits your budget and lifestyle the best. Booth are good.

Just my $.02.

Jeff K

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Does installing an aftermarket unit void any electrical system warranties?
Only if your aftermarket device causes damage to the system. In order to deny a repair claim the dealer would have to prove that your modification was the cause of the damage (i.e. short in the system, etc.).

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Commander has the in dash factory unit and in the TJ I have a portable Garmin unit. The small garmin screen is not great but it is portable and waterproof. The upgraded map programs i have with topographic maps is great on the Garmin for off road use. It depends on what you need. In the Commander, that stays on the road, in dash is good. For off road use it is nice to be able to take the GPS out of the vehicle if hiking.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might sell some things I really don't need and try to get an aftermarket in-dash unit. I really like the fact that I can play dvds. I would eventually like to have monitors in the headrest instead of an overhead display. I plan on having kids soon, and that would come in really handy on roadtrips. Any tips on aftermarket brands? What is too cheap? Meaning when am I sacrificing quality? I see plenty of aftermarket brands for say 4 or 500 dollars. But then you look at some name brands and they jump up to 1,000+. I have played the name brand game many times, but I know at a certain point I start sacrificing quality!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just bought a Garmin nuvi for my z, it works inside the dash without an external antenna. The thing even works on the middle floor of a concrete parking structure?? I have one of the first Garmin hand held units I have used for many years, boating and currently in my 5.9 zj. Nice speedo lol. The old one needs a clear path for signal. The built in rec in the commander needs a clear path (accidentally moved the roof rack too far back once, oops)for it's antenna but this nuvi is amazing. Just an fyi

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If I was to do it over again, I would get a portable GPS. When I bought my in-dash unit, the portable ones hadn't hit the market real big and they were still a little pricey. Now you see what they sell for. Now, my unit does play DVDs , can have a back-up camera and a game console hooked up to it, and can have an external screen hooked up also, but it was expensive, about $1200. For as little as it is used, its not worth that kind of money to me. i think it was more of a novelty thing that I just had to have. I like that you can swap the portables between multiple vehicles, for about a grand less.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts