Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

i currently have the Rocky Road 2.25" lift on my Commander. I've been casually pondering the idea of a bigger lift and bigger tires. I've been doing research on the superlift 4" lift. From what i found out, the superlift retains factory CV angles and driveshaft angles. If this is true i'm guessing the Rocky Road spacers that goes on top of the front shocks as well as the rear poly spacers should work on top of the super lift giving the Commander a total lift of 4+2.25=6.25inches, and possible clearing 35x12.5" tires with no problems. what do you guys think?

if this works, i'll be mounting the 35's on Mickey Thompson classics 17x9 with 5inch backspace. my questions are how strong would this combo be? i need my commander to be a decent daily driver and decent on some trails (nothing hard core though). what problems if any do you guys/gals foresee with this setup?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TPS said:
good luck with that. I'm not sure stacking lifts would be a great idea.
yeah might not be a good idea. but i cant get it out of my mind. i got this idea from a 2006 Cherokee (identical to our Commanders) i saw at my local off road shop. he had the 4" superlift along with Old Man Emu springs (which gave an additional 2" up front) for a total of 6". his CV joints didn't look too bad and he claims this setup worked great but i'm still a little uneasy on this setup. only difference between his setup and the the one i'm pondering is that he got an additional 2" on top of the superlift by using a longer spring and my scenario will be getting an additional 2" using a spacer on top of the shock.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You have an IFS vehicle unlike a solid axle Cherokee or Wrangler. You could probably get away with lifting the rear that much. But I think the geometery on the front suspension would be all messed up.

Also note, homebrew lift kits rarely have good ride quality and stability. They are more geared for off-road clearance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
rubicontrail.net said:
You have an IFS vehicle unlike a solid axle Cherokee or Wrangler. You could probably get away with lifting the rear that much. But I think the geometery on the front suspension would be all messed up.

Also note, homebrew lift kits rarely have good ride quality and stability. They are more geared for off-road clearance.
yes, i think you're right. i agree with what you say about homebrew lifts. However, the Cherokee i was checking out also had an IFS front suspension. Superlift uses the same kit for both the newer WK Cherokees and the Commanders and since superlift claims to retain factory geometries with their lifts, it kinda makes me beleive that the geos after the Superlift + Rocky Road spacers wouldn't be that far different than the geos on my non-superlifted Commander with rocky road spacers. i could be wrong though. i guess the only for sure way for me to find out how this setup performs is to take a test drive in this guys Cherokee if i ever bump into him again.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
porkfriedrice said:
yes, i think you're right. i agree with what you say about homebrew lifts. However, the Cherokee i was checking out also had an IFS front suspension.
Ahh, you were talking about a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee... different vehicles, different suspensions.

Either way, you would lose all Electronic Stability controls on a 6+" lift. This is definitely going to change your ride at high speeds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rubicontrail.net said:
Either way, you would lose all Electronic Stability controls on a 6+" lift. This is definitely going to change your ride at high speeds.
i figure i'd loose most of my stability controls and high speed ride characteristics with just a standard 4' lift anyways so why not go for broke? LOL!

however you do bring up a good point and i probably should dismiss this idea since i do love to drive fast at times. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
It would probably work but the ride quality would be questionable and I don't know what you want 35's under a commander for if it is going to be a daily driver.

35's are for some pretty good rock crawling, If you are going to rock crawl you also want to try and keep a lower center of gravity. I would worry about that much lift with out changing a little more.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Let's don't forget stuffing 35's in the front diferrential it might explode. Too much stress on those axles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For mostly daily driving and moderate offroad driving, what's wrong with the setup you have now? 35's are a bit extreme and I wouldn't want to roll on a long trip with those on the highway. Unless you are doing some serious rock crawling, which Commanders aren't really made for, I don't see why you would do that but you know, testostrone is always a factor. Ha!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have been thinking about the same idea, I just hated takign the risk on my JC considering the money I have invested. BUT I say do it!! I want to see the pictures!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
XKTX said:
Let's don't forget stuffing 35's in the front diferrential it might explode. Too much stress on those axles.
true, but one thing to consider is the promo AEV Commander rolling on 39" fatty's still uses the stock diffs.

tcc11tcc said:
For mostly daily driving and moderate offroad driving, what's wrong with the setup you have now? 35's are a bit extreme and I wouldn't want to roll on a long trip with those on the highway. Unless you are doing some serious rock crawling, which Commanders aren't really made for, I don't see why you would do that but you know, testostrone is always a factor. Ha!
my old ford expedition that ran 35" A/T's had no problems on long highway trips. extreme to me is anything over 35's

I take my Commander to the dessert and mountains quite often. mainly to haul my knuckle head buddies, our mountain bikes, and all our gear. it also serves as a rescue vehicle when one of us flies over the handle bars and eats dirt in the middle of nowhere. i try to keep the Commander away from the knarly trails but ocassionally testosterone mixed with a little beer gets the best of me. true its not made for hard core stuff but its alot more capable than one may think. you're right, my setup does well as is with what i do.. but i live in So Cal where its all about who has the biggest and badest truck!! wether its functional or not.. LOL! yes, we all have little man syndrome down here. :eek:

but yeah, i was just casually tossing this idea around in my head for some time now but don't really think i'm gonna do it. i think it'll look killer but i don't think it'll be practical. plus it will no longer fit in my garage and the parking structures i need to get into down here

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Acutally I didnt have to cut anything, I copied Superlifts ride, same wheel and tire combo and the Superlift Lift. It rubs a little on tight turns but other than that i'm good. I dont go offroad though, only becasue I am not there enough to do it. Thanks for the compliments!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm sure it's doable, especially if the Superlift retains the stock angles. The Superlift still uses a custom spacer on top of the strut to get the 4" lift, so you're saying to add a coil spring spacer would get you another 2"? Using the coil spacer will shorten the travel of the strut, I would also look into lifting the strut by sliding it up the clevis with a spacer. Some Liberty guys are doing it, Rancho even makes longer struts for them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Speaking only to the coil spring spacers, I believe its doable. For instance Nth Engineering Suspensions (now owned by AEV) use a shorter spring with spacers on top to attain their height. I myself have 3/4" coil spring spacers over my springs on my TJ. However, I really think an additional 2" of lift over the 4" designed by Superlift most likely would screw up the geometry of the control arms etc. If you insist on pursuing this policy I suggest you contact Superlift and get their opinion and perhaps AEV as well. Those people are the experts. The last alternative MIGHT be to go with the 4" lift and then TRIM the fender wells. Frankly, I think you are trying to make a Commander into something it wasnt designed to be and could be dangerous and when you get done it wont perform nearly as well as a nice used TJ modified or if you want to really go cheap an older YJ with a springover lift. As others have said, big tires mean the need for bigger AXLES, DIFFERENTIALS, BRAKES and extended brake lines etc etc. Way down the road when Commanders are old and cheap THEN is the time to try and make them into rock crawlers if its even possible. Remember, center of gravity is important too. john

1 - 16 of 16 Posts