Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 , stock suspension. new tires. QD II.

I have a slight incline on my driveway. when i back out, and then turn the wheel to point the jeep in the direction i wish to go, i feel a "notchiness, gritiness, etc" coming from the front end. When i came home last night, from going to the store a 1/2 mile away, i pulled in the garage, then backed out again, and noticed the "gritiness" was not there. I don't go off road, as it is mostly my wife's Jeep. I am unable to get under it to look, at the moment, as i am busy working overtime. Could it be the CV axles, or maybe the bearings the axle go thru to the tire? It does not matter what the outside temp is. It only occurs when the vehicle has been sitting for a few hours and the drive-train has had a chance to cool down.

TIA .

John

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle and when was the last time the axle fluid has been changed?

QDII has clutch disc type LSD's, and I have seen posts where people with QDII that were overdue for axle fluid changes were complaining about the LSD grabbing/making noise at low speed sharp turns. Fresh fluid solved the problem. Don't forget, as well as using the proper fluid, you have to add the proper amount of Mopar Friction modifier as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on the vehicle and when was the last time the axle fluid has been changed?

QDII has clutch disc type LSD's, and I have seen posts where people with QDII that were overdue for axle fluid changes were complaining about the LSD grabbing/making noise at low speed sharp turns. Fresh fluid solved the problem. Don't forget, as well as using the proper fluid, you have to add the proper amount of Mopar Friction modifier as well.
Thanks. Just under 90K miles. I followed the owners manual. But i will take it in to have all the fluids ( trans, transfer, axles) changed again. ( I had a s-10 and one of those oil change places put gear lube in my trans, where as the owners manual said it automatic fluid. Can't trust them guys. :) )

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Most manual transmissions will be fine with a wide range of lube, but with how sophisticated and sensitive to fluid transmissions are now a days, I wouldn't risk it and always use the recommended fluid. Really the biggest reason the lube is selected for a manual trans is the one that the Synchro's work best with, and that is nothing to dismiss, replacing synchros in a manual trans is huge.

Automatics, yea, today you're just begging to destroy the trans if you use anything other than recommended.

If you don't use the fricition modifier in the axle fluid, the clutches in the LSD will grab more at low speed than they should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts