Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: Orange turn signals are ugly.

I have read through a few threads from this site that say getting clear signals are nigh impossible and smoking them is a bad idea from a safety standpoint. So I was wondering if this scenario could work.

Use the fog lights as turn signals. Completely black out the old place for them and hook up the wiring down below to the fog lights. Also buy amber bulbs for the lights down below.

End result is a clear lens with an amber light that can be easily seen and no ugly orange on our jeep.

Workable?

p.s. I am new to car mods please be gentle :)

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
Turn signals are required to be seen from the side and front.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Check to see if there is a 2nd bulb in the Turn Signal, at the wrap around part that is visible from the side.

I would think it is possible, to black out the front facing part of the turn signal and leave the side facing portion orange. If there is a 2nd bulb just illuminating the side portion of the turn signal, then it likely will work. If there is NOT, you'd have to leave the 1st bulb in the turn signal working to make the side marker portion of the turn signal work. Blacking out the front facing portion, depending on how you do it, might NOT let the side marker function like it should.

Really, is all that worth it? I really do NOT see how the small amount of Orange is Ugly? But if it is too you, the only way around what I suggest is too mount some sort of side marker that you wire into the parking lamp circuit.

·
2,248 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I looked at my Commander last nite, there is a 2nd bulb in the wrap around portion of the turn signal that turns on and off with the park lamps.

So, you could black out or paint over the forward facing portion of the turn signal, rewire the socket to go to the fog lamp and use an amber/orange bulb in the fog lamp. If you did NOT paint over or black out the side facing, wrap around portion of the turn signal it would continue to work as the side marker.

OR, you could do everything above to include blacking out/painting the side marker portion as well and install a new side marker rewired from the bulb for the side marker, like HeuyPilotVN suggested.

Take a look at the Jeep JK, there is a round side marker in the fender flare, you could do something like that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did the same on mine.
Without taking it of i used a smoking film (quite dark) to cover it up. The result is nice and also reversible in case you realize it's too dark and not safe anymore.

It took more or less 1 h to cover it up.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It depends on the police, which will vary from state to state, as well as town/city to town/city. I can't imagine it is legal to disable the side marker reflector/light, and this mod would do that. A cop would have to notice first, then second thinks it worth writing you a ticket about it. Some areas cops will do that, others they will NOT.

Most cases, cops don't pull you over for minor things, but if they do pull you over for speeding or what ever reason, they will then take the opportunity to cite you for other violations they find on top of the original violation they pulled you over for.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As i said before i smoked my front lights but first i checked that, even in day light, you could see the direction light flashing cause safety comes first than appearance in my opinion.

Is not about the tolerance of the police agent, is about to let other drivers know where are you going to turn!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts