Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you mount 4 OEM cross bars on the roof rack in order to support more weight?

Do you think it would support better. I'm thinking of putting my spare tire on the roof at least temporarily if that makes sense.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
for those who have four bars ,, as there are two types of the bars (front and rear) what is the order of the bars ?

(Front Front Rear Rear) ... or (Front Rear Front Rear)

any noise?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would assume that because of the difference in width front to rear that the two front ones would go toward the front and the two rear would go toward the rear. There is probably a point at which the rear bar will not slide forward any farther and the front will not slide backward any farther that is not necessarily in the middle of the XK's roof rails. There would probably be a gap but the two front bars or the two rear bars could probably be put nearly next to each other in their respective locations.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
49er does it, check his pics
for those who have four bars ,, as there are two types of the bars (front and rear) what is the order of the bars ?

(Front Front Rear Rear) ... or (Front Rear Front Rear)?
Yes, I have four bars... Front, Front, Back & Back. You can double your weight with four bars.

·
2,248 Posts
Just remember that a spare tire or anything heavy on the roof will raise your center of gravity for the vehicle. It might not make too much difference but again it might surprise you on a sharp corner or turn.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks Huey and 49'er.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts