Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Well I recently decided that I wanted to get my E&G Classics grill powder coated black to match my Jeep. The only problem is I can't decide whether to get the whole grill painted or just the mesh part (leaving the "border" chrome). I am still keeping the chrome "Limited" badge regardless, but just don't know which look would better fit the truck. I was wondering if anyone who is good with Photoshop wouldn't mind altering a photo of the Jeep with both looks (I am totally useless with Photoshop or else I would do it myself lol). Below is the generic picture of the Commander with the E&G grill if anyone is in the mood to fiddle with it. I would even be interested to hear people's suggestions even without a photo of both options. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I've been looking in the same idea you have as well. I was thinking about buying the DUB grill and powdercoat it black. After some research online about powdercoating I found out that powdercoating over chrome is very difficult. You might want to contact a powdercoater first and ask about the possibilities. Best posibility is probably to get the chrome completely removed from the grill followed by a complete powdercoat. It's pretty hard to mask the chrome border and not "damage" the chrome during the removal process (done in dipping the grill in chemical solutions to remove the chrome and surface treatment for powdercoating). Therefore I would go for a complete cover.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Man Yiory, it's like you read my mind on this project- what to coat and what to leave chrome! Now I really want you to do it, so I can see how good it looks!

My reasoning for coating the whole thing was to soften the somewhat rough edges on the grille with the thickness of the powdercoat.

But I think the chrome trim ring would make a nice accent too. My powdercoating shop said they could do it for $100, and no mention of any anticipated problems (based on the picture I sent them). And if there was an issue with an acid bath getting on the trim ring, I thought (from when I installed mine) that it looked like you could disassemble the grille into its component parts, leaving the mesh by itself for work.

Keep us posted, can't wait to see the progress!

PS: I'll try to squeeze in some PS time at school this week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But I think the chrome trim ring would make a nice accent too. My powdercoating shop said they could do it for $100, and no mention of any anticipated problems (based on the picture I sent them). And if there was an issue with an acid bath getting on the trim ring, I thought (from when I installed mine) that it looked like you could disassemble the grille into its component parts, leaving the mesh by itself for work.

Keep us posted, can't wait to see the progress!

PS: I'll try to squeeze in some PS time at school this week.
Don't forget about the PS! I am curious as to what the above PS'd grille would like on the Black Commander.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Don't forget about the PS! I am curious as to what the above PS'd grille would like on the Black Commander.
Didn't forget, just been a busy week back in class. Never made it to the computer lab for actual PSing, but to appease curious minds (mine included) I Paintbrushed a set. The image quality is pathetic, but the concept seems promising. Both remind me of the classic Toyota Land Cruisers, especially the one with the trim ring left chrome. Hope these can suffice for awhile!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
It looks good, I would keep the chrome trim if I were doing it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the all black with the limited just in chrome suits/ compliments the look you are going for much better. The grill with chrome border makes the border stand out even more. My vote is for the all black with just the limited untouched.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Kansas, thanks for taking the time to edit the photo. After seeing both concepts, I think I may leave the chrome trim the way it is. I figure this would complement the few chrome pieces that exist on the truck (rear grab handles, Jeep decals) nicely. I also was planning on getting chrome nerf bars, so although the stock E&G grill is too much bling, I think the black mesh with the chrome trim will be perfect. I will definitely post pics when I get it painted. Too many projects, too little time (and money lol).

·
Registered
809 Posts
No problem. I always enjoy a little time on the computer drafting images of possible Jeep projects! So much so that I did a couple more for this one. They're still not Photoshop, so there is no realistic reflections and whatnot, but the quality is at least a little more consistent. All in all I think this is going to be a great mod, either route. The trim left chrome looks a little more factory finish (aka GMC "Professional Grade"), but I think the full bleed would do a great job of rounding off the edges of E&G's simple lazer cut (those with the grile know what I'm talking about), enhancing both the quality of the grille and the up-close appearance of the Jeep. Interestingly I decided that for both options the emblem is a must- something that I don't care for when the grille is chrome, but really like once it's blacked out. Plus I'm going to add a chrome strip by the lower air dam to better tie that into the front end too.

One of the issues I want to be sure of on my own grille is how the color will compare to the factory paint. How close to specific paint codes can a powdercoating shop match? Could/should this project also be done by traditional painting at a body shop, etc? Also, I wondered about how much you might be able to see through the grille once the bright chrome is replaced by black. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yiory, I think you just need to take one for the team and get yours done for real. Then post some real pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yiory, I think you just need to take one for the team and get yours done for real. Then post some real pics.
lol, unfortunately for me, I plan to. By the way, thanks for the new photos. From the angle of your recent pics, the all black is starting to look nicer than before. This just makes the decision making process that much harder :icon_confused:. Now I am forced to factor in the fact that my turn signals are tinted black (making the all-black look seem a more logical choice). At the same time, if I add the lower chrome fascia to the front (btw if anyone has one available, feel free to send me a pm), I feel that the chrome trim will accent it nicely. Ahhhh decisions decisions!

·
Registered
809 Posts
...Now I am forced to factor in the fact that my turn signals are tinted black (making the all-black look seem a more logical choice)....
Got that too:

I think this is the route I am going to take- all all black and reflectors left amber to match my tails. If there were ever a time that Euro-clear signals would look nice, it would be now. But that's another thread...

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good choice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so I just emailed all the powder coating places in the area. While I am waiting for their replies (price estimates), I was wondering if anyone knew how much a job like this usually costs? I am going to go with the lowest estimate regardless, but am curious to see how the prices here (MA) match up with those elsewhere. Thanks and hopefully this will be done in the next week or so.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My quote was $100.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Any progress, Yiory?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here's an update. I called/emailed about 3-4 different powder coating places. All of them told me that powder coating was not a good option for me. They recommended that I take the grill to a body shop and have them color match it to the Jeep. I did some asking around the past few weeks and the general consensus for blacking out a grill is to powder coat it. Now I'm confused. Any ideas?

p.s. None of these places specialized in automotive powder coating. I think all of them powder coat wheels, two of them did motorcycle frames, and the other two did home appliances (?). I would ship the grill out but don't want to pay shipping/return shipping :( Any advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Who powdercoats their home appliances? That's some house!

What about a collision center/body shop around town that does automotive paint jobs?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who powdercoats their home appliances? That's some house!

What about a collision center/body shop around town that does automotive paint jobs?
Haha some people do some pretty wild things in their homes. A relative of mine actually just build a huge garage (with two lifts in it!) and decided to paint the cabinets in the garage Ferrari red. Looks bad a$$ but definitely not something I would have instantly thought up when thinking of painting cabinets in my garage lol.

As for the body shop idea, I think that will be my final option if I can't get it powder coated. The reason I want it powder coated as opposed to simply painting it is the durability factor. I want it to look nice but also resist the elements better than paint. I might just show up to one of the shops with the grill and ask to have it done regardless of their opinion, as opposed to talking to them on the phone. The only concern I have is the black powder coat not matching the black color of the Jeep (which is what a few of the shops told me), but I think it'll look nice. We'll just have to see when its done lol.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Agreed on both accounts, but I do think that the Commander's black paint is pretty much just black, and would match pretty close to a high-gloss powdercoat. I think a paint job could be quite durable too, though. Keep us (me) posted on your progress!

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah initially I had the same problem when painting my classics grill black, but had a friend who owns a large sandblaster do it for me. I could suggest something like that or possibly a chemical dip to remove the chrome, but trust me once you do it you'll never regret it! I love it on mine!!

but heres a pic I quickly snapped in the rain to give you an idea of the look!
:eek:rangehat:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts