Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a 2006 Commander 4.7 V8. I'd like to get as much old power steering fluid out as possible. It has a very strong burnt smell to it. The level is low, and I'm hearing a noise that might be comming from the pump hopefully due to low fluid.

What are the steps to change the fluid? How much new fluid do I need to fill it, and do I need any other parts to do this?

Am I correct in that the proper fluid is MS-10838?

Really appreciate the help!

Frank.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
RP power steering fluid is not compatible with our system. The power steering pump also drives our cooling fan.

I believe amsoil is the only company that claims to have a compatible power steering fluid for our vehicles. And while i'm an amsoil fan, I will only run the proper Mopar fluid in my power steering pump.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Glad you haven't had any problems [yet]. Doesn't mean you wont, and it sure doesn't mean that someone else won't.

You could probably run 15w-40 in your engine and not notice any problems. Hell, put some non-HOAT coolant in your radiator too while you're at it.

The cost of a new steering rack, pump or hydraulic fan is pretty steep in these vehicles. Saving $10 to run RP just doesn't make sense to me, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

But again, glad it's been working for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did the 4.7 come with hydraulic fan/Ps combo? I thought that was only for the Hemi? Unless its the Hd Cooling with tow package?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm pretty sure Adam's 4.7 has the hydraulic fan...

I could be wrong. But regardless... Chrysler specifies MS-10838 for all WK/XKs and MS-5931 for all Pre-2005 WK's. Whatever they changed in the system required a different fluid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Before putting it in my Commander, this was straight from Royal Purple:

"Yes, Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326, 12 oz bottle) power steering fluid is compatible with spec MS-10838 and exactly what we recommend for your 2006 through 2010 Jeep Commander. It will mix and be compatible with any remaining amounts of the previous power steering fluid."

Web site- http://www.royalpurple.com/
FAQs- http://www.royalpurple.com/why-rp/faqs/
Locator- http://www.royalpurple.com/dealer-locator/

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!"

I also use royal purple 5w-30 as the engine oil, Zerex ZXGO51 G-05 antifreeze, Valvoline VV346 ATF +4 in the transmission and royal purple in the differentials.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
None of the links you posted say it's compatible. So i guess you have to e-mail them to find out?

Fact of the matter is they use the same bottle for WK/XK's as they do for every other jeep/vehicle. Mopar fluid guide calls out a specific fluid for the WK/XK line.

Here's a better link. Page 24 is of interest:
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/chemicals/chemicals.pdf

Personally, I'll pay the extra $10 for peace of mind. But glads its worked for you.

One of the reasons why i change all the fluids in a vehicle that I buy used. I don't always trust that the previous owners are as OCD as i am :icon_lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the procedure to change the power steering fluid on my 4.7 V-8 ?

I have the MoPar fluid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you can use a pump fluid extractor, or bulb syringe like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LX4L4M/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

pump out or suck out the remaining power steering fluid from the resevoir until it is 95% empty, then refill the reservoir with fresh power-steering fluid until it reaches the correct level according to the marks on the dip stick.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You can safely flush all the PS fluid out of the system, by putting the front wheels in the air on jack stands, disconnect the PS return line from the reservoir and run it to a bucket. The engine is off the whole time during this. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock, the PS rack will suck and pump the PS fluid out of the system and flow it out the return line into a bucket. Once its pumped all the fluid it can out, then you can add a little fresh fluid to the reservoir (only an once or two, raise the level too high and it will leak out the nipple for the disconnected return line), turn the steering wheel again to pump a little bit of fresh fluid through to flush any old fluid out. Reconnect the PS return line, fill the reservoir, turn the steering wheel to pump so fluid through and the air out, keep adding fluid to keep the level up. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel, check and top off the reservoir once you've worked all the air out of the system.

I can't imagine a way to flush out the fan motor circuit, but at least this method will get the most of the fluid out, instead of just the small amount in the reservoir.

BTW, The MS-10838 is a hybrid hydraulic/PS fluid. Chrysler uses it with vehicles that have the PS system power hydraulic devices, like a hydraulic cooling fan or a convertible roof retraction/extension system. The convertible had many failures in its system because of the additional stress of the hydraulic devices, until Chrysler came up with its Hybrid fluid and started using it.

I have to agree, while AMSOIL and Royal Purple does supply some of the best fluids, it does NOT mean the their PS fluid is also a hybrid Hydraulic/PS fluid that meets the specs of Chrysler MS-10838, if you can't find it in writing, then I don't trust it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I posted this in a thread devoted to transmissions when I had a Xmsn failure.. Went round and round but ultimately spent the 5 grand necessary to get that gremlin put away. Two days after getting the vehicle back i started hearing the sound that usually comes when the PS fluid level is low. Here's what I posted:
Ok so you've been with me through the Xmsn debacle. Nearly 5 grand later it works smoothly only to find a new gremlin. Big Blue sat in the dealership for 2 weeks getting fixed, and when I got it back two days later I hear the power steering straining when backing out of the driveway. It sounds like its low on Power steering fluid, but the level is high if anything. There's no leakage on the driveway, and I seen no signs of leakage anywhere. Now once it warms up and the outdoor temps come up a bit it doesn't make as loud a sound, but its still there when turning Lock to lock.

Any ideas what I need to replace? And, about how much I'm looking at dollar wise?

Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Power Steering Noise, especially when you only get it when cold, is often just the hydraulic noise from the fluid being forced through the tiny passages and orifices.

If you have the wrong PS fluid in the system, that could be the cause of the noise alone. The fluid sheered down and worn out, could be the cause as well.

Other than those causes, there isn't enough info to trouble shoot the PS system, other than look it over and try to find anything wrong. If you have the Hemi with the Hydraulic powered fan, that adds a whole other system on to the PS system, that something could go wrong.

If the noise really bothers you, change the fluid with the proper fluid (see above) and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanx Mongo
its really not that bad, just hear it when making sharp turns and its cold out. Steering seems to work fine and the fluid level is good. It is the original fluid with just minor top ups over the car's life. I guess I could get the OEM fluid from the dealer and try using the turkey baster approach to "somewhat" drain the fluid then replace with new.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Minor Top Ups? Did you use the OEM fluid for the Top Up's? If NOT, that might be the cause of your noise.

The removing the return line from the reservoir and turning the steering wheel to make the rack pump all the fluid out (engine off of course), can be a bit of a pain, but it will get all the old fluid out, while the turkey baster trick will only get a minority of it swapped out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts