Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked on the steering rack today, need to add more fluid. Manual dictates Mopar Power Steering Fluid (of course) or equivalent. What is this equivalent?

Of course I just picked up a couple quarts of Prestone Dex-type fluid while at the store, happy to not need the special Honda type, but then I see that the fluid doesn't look red like I would like. What is the difference? Interchangeable? For even just a short time?

·
Registered
862 Posts
There is no equivalent... use ONLY the Mopar fluid. It's synthetic, by the way. And be ready to spend about $30 a quart. The good news is the reservoir is only part of a pint. A quart will fill it about 2.5 times.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I did some research and the fluid just has to meet "MS5931" standards- this is the amber fluid for certain P/S systems. Ran downstairs right after learning that to check if the quart I used qualified. The good news is that Advanced Auto Parts brand P/S fluid is "5931" compatible - $3.59/qt. The bad news is that I, just by random choice, had poured the red Prestone brand in first. And cycled the system real well to get the air bubbles out, and the new fluid in. The Prestone bottle says it is compatible with ALL P/S fluids, but does not actually mention MS5931. The fact that it is red and my factory fill is amber bothers me, so to be on the safe side I am going to flush the system and refill with the appropriate (colored) fluid.
Another good lesson learned the hard way, I guess, but at least it has a happy ending!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worked on the steering rack today, need to add more fluid. Manual dictates Mopar Power Steering Fluid (of course) or equivalent. What is this equivalent?

Of course I just picked up a couple quarts of Prestone Dex-type fluid while at the store, happy to not need the special Honda type, but then I see that the fluid doesn't look red like I would like. What is the difference? Interchangeable? For even just a short time?
Hi,
I am the Tech Manager for Prestone. The fluid you used is completely compatible with your OE fluid. You can find the specs on the Prestone website, www.prestone.com. There is no need to flush your system.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Side note: what did you do to your steering rack, and how hard was it to work on? I'd like to know in case I need to drop or replace the rack myself.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced it. Not that hard at all- 2 hours from when I pulled in the garage to when the new rack was installed. 4 hours including temporary tape-measure alignment and shop clean up. However, the new rack got rid of a small clunk, but brought about new problems of its own. Read more here: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11559
Once I get everything sorted out I am going to put together a how-to (and how-not-to) thread on replacing the rack.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Actually, I did some research and the fluid just has to meet "MS5931" standards....
Where did you read that?

"2005–2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2006–2010 Jeep Commander vehicles require Mopar Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid, Part No. 05142893AA meeting MS-10838"

What does your owner manual say? Mine (2010) says MS-10838.

MS-10838 has no aftermarket equilvalent that I am aware of.

The Jeep Commander has an hydraulic fan powered by the PS system, I "imagine" that puts a huge toll on the PS fluid. I suspect that is why Chrysler came up with the MS-10838 spec for PS fluid for the Commander (which happens to be a hybrid for hydrualic systems as well), but the manual doesn't say that, so I don't know.

If you have a Hydrualic Fan (Hemi, not sure if the 4.7L V8 has one) then I'm "guessing" you'd be foolish NOT to use the MS-10838.

If you do NOT have a Hydrualic Fan, then I'm "guessing" you "might" get away with MS-9602 (ATF+4) or another superior quality synthetic fluid that states it exceeds MS9602. But the manual doesn't say that, it is only a guess on my part, so I could be very wrong and you could have PS problems.

MS5931 is an older PS Spec from the 90's. For most (but NOT all) Chrysler/Jeep vehicles it was replaced by MS9602, which is ATF+4. Note, the MS9602 spec is ATF+4 not just any old ATF, ATF+4 is a synthetic ATF that has a superior additives package. Put Dexron II in your Jeep PS system and you will have problems. But according to the manual, even ATF+4 is NOT good enough for the Commander.

Don't go by color, its just dye, it really has no bearing at all on the quality or compatibility of the fluid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out exactly how much PS fluid our system needs?

I can't seem to get a straight answer. Mine's a 5.7

1 - 9 of 9 Posts