Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I hear a humming sound on my way home. When I get home my power steering goes out so I check the fluid and the fluid is low so I go to the parts store and get more power steering fluid and fill it up and the humming stops.... a day later it starts humming again and the fluid is empty this time when I go to check the fluid the cap "pops" off because of pressure.... does anyone know what this could be and why its not holding fluid?

·
Registered
58 Posts
There must be a leak.
Have you looked under your Jeep? If you can, drop the plastic slid plate (4 bolts) and see whats going on. There's gotta be a leak in the hoses or the steering unit. Give it a look and you'll see where the leak is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a leak in my steering gear box at the very top of it where your steering linkages connect to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like maybe the rack and pinion is leaking. That happened to my Commander but luckily I was still under warranty at the time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It looks like it leaking out of BOTH boots. Can you confirm that? Check to see it's not the metal tubes on the back that are leaking/cracked. Either way, you are in for some repair.

If you are not a wrenching kinda guy, it's between $300 and $400 for the re-manufactured rack and pinion assy and roughly $250 in labor.

If you can tackle it yourself, you can get a re-manufactured unit on eBay for around $325.

Until you fix it, keep the reservoir filled or you may toast your pump too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I spent a $1000.00 for my repair. I didn't go through the dealer for mine because it was alot more than that. Now I'm not sure on the remanufacturered ones, but it was not an option for me. Even if it was, I would of still went new. I also have a lift installed on mine, so that could of been another reason why I spent alot more.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Make sure you use the "RIGHT" power steering fluid, modern ps systems are very demanding on the fluid and you can have problems using a lesser fluid that doesn't meet the spec.

At least my 2010 commander calls for Chrysler MS-10838, I have NOT seen any aftermarket PS fluid that claims to meet that spec. When I changed my PS fluid, I got the MS-10838 from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
ok so I found out where it is leaking from the boots on top I think its the inner tie rod ends but its leaking from both side... does anyone have any advice?
The boots are really just dust covers for the inner tie rods connected to the end of the rack. The rack is sealed inside the boot, to contain fluid and often there is some sort of channel or tube to connect both sides of the boots to let airflow between them (so you don't blowout the boots from air pressure as they compress). So if one side of the rack leaks the fluid could move to both sides through that little air channel or tube, or it could be leaking from both sides.

Doesn't change anything everyone has already told you, you're going to have to replace the rack.

Lift kits increase the stress on the steering gear, so does off roading, its pretty common for most Jeeps that do a lot of off-roading to have to have the steering gear replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts