Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the PSI rating on the Power steering pump for the 3.7L Commander?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Does anyone know the PSI rating on the Power steering pump for the 3.7L Commander?
I don't believe I've ever seen a specification for operating pressure, but there is a check valve (internal, not serviced) that supposedly bypasses when line pressure exceeds 300 p.s.i. (like when you hit the end of travel, sometimes you can hear it hisssss)

Curiosity comes into play.....watcha trying to figure out?

Rob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curiosity comes into play.....watcha trying to figure out?
I'm shopping for winches. I'm thinking of the Mile Marker hydraulic winch. Most of their models specify a need for 1500psi and 3.5 cfm. I just want to know what's compatible.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reviews for the hydraulic winches are great. Extended run times, doesn't overheat, works while submerged, etc. It is designed to us the PS steering pump. You just disconnect the hose going from the PS Pump to the steering box, connect a new hose that goes from the PS Pump to the winch, connect another from the winch to the steering box then add more fluid to take up the extra volume used by the additional hose. The only electrical part of it is to turn it on or off. I think 2amps is all.

I wanted the 10,500 lb winch but it states that it doesn't work with "Jeep" PS Pumps and I would have to go with the 75 series 9000lb winch. I wasn't really sure if Mile Marker was thinking of all Jeeps or just wranglers/CJ's.

·
2,248 Posts
Who says that you cannot cool power steering fluid. I did and it is on the Forum for all the world to see that I screwed up. I mistakenly connected the power steering fluid lines to an extra cooler when I thought it was the transmission lines. By the way the power steering fluid is cooled in the bottom of the radiator. The hoses connect on the drivers side. There is a thread on here somewhere, showing my goof up.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5329

Here it is.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
Who says that you cannot cool power steering fluid. I did and it is on the Forum for all the world to see that I screwed up. I mistakenly connected the power steering fluid lines to an extra cooler when I thought it was the transmission lines. By the way the power steering fluid is cooled in the bottom of the radiator. The hoses connect on the drivers side. There is a thread on here somewhere, showing my goof up.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5329

Here it is.
I think only the 4.7 and 5.7 Commanders with the tow package have the heavy duty transmission cooling. CommanderChaos has a 3.7.

·
2,248 Posts
Does the 3.7 have a power steering cooler in front of the radiator?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Chaos, sounds like what you want to do is get a bracket made up that will bolt onto the engine somewhere. From there you can get a standard hydro pump that they would use on a commercial mower or piece of construction equipment. Then all you would have to do is tie it into the belt on the engine. That way you can go with a dedicated hydro system for the winch and achieve the pressure you need at the volume needed. I know of a couple commercial mowers that use the same style belt to run the hydro motors as the serp belt on the XK. Not an easy project at all but it can be done.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
That's what I was saying in my previous post--I don't think it has that cooler.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN
That's what I was saying in my previous post--I don't think it has that cooler.
I just checked my Commander at lunch. Yep, it has the PS cooler.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chaos, sounds like what you want to do is get a bracket made up that will bolt onto the engine somewhere. From there you can get a standard hydro pump that they would use on a commercial mower or piece of construction equipment. Then all you would have to do is tie it into the belt on the engine. That way you can go with a dedicated hydro system for the winch and achieve the pressure you need at the volume needed. I know of a couple commercial mowers that use the same style belt to run the hydro motors as the serp belt on the XK. Not an easy project at all but it can be done.
I think the PS pump will handle the 9000lb winch. I guess I don't really need to get the 10,500 lb one. The low pressure 9000lb winch costs $150 more than the 10,500 lb one though. That was one of the reasons that I wanted to go with that one. Oh well, it's only money right?

On a different note, you gave me an idea. One of the down sides to the hydraulic winch is that if your motor is dead so is your winch. Get an electric hydraulic pump that is in parallel to the PS Pump. With the flip of the switch you could turn it on when the engine is off and the battery would in effect be running the show. The best of both worlds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts