Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title of post is essentially the issue. Jeep Commander 2006

Bought used 3 or 4 years ago. No real issues. Windows started going out one by one. Now, none work (up or down, neither work). Power locks, power mirrors are both okay. Just the power windows are out.

Taking it to the shop if I can't figure it out but I would love to avoid the expense if I can. Auto Zone looked at the fuse, said it LOOKED okay but idk how much I trust them after the issues we have had with the store.

Could that be it? Idr which one it was and my manual is gone. I'm sure I left a lot of unanswered questions, feel free to ask if you think you have some sort of clue as to what the heck is going on.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts

Bought used 3 or 4 years ago. No real issues. Windows started going out one by one. Now, none work (up or down, neither work). Power locks, power mirrors are both okay. Just the power windows are out.

Taking it to the shop if I can't figure it out but I would love to avoid the expense if I can. Auto Zone looked at the fuse, said it LOOKED okay but idk how much I trust them after the issues we have had with the store.

Could that be it? Idr which one it was and my manual is gone. I'm sure I left a lot of unanswered questions, feel free to ask if you think you have some sort of clue as to what the heck is going on.
Whitley;

First off, you can order an owner's manual here;

Dodge - Contact Us

Just look under the "Your Vehicle" Tab and you will see a link that says "Owner's Manual and Glove Box material" click on it and follow the instructions.

2nd; If you know the location of the fuse that controls the windows in question - replace it, it's a 5 minute job and if nothing else, you can eliminate the fuse as a potential cause.

If you are unsure of the location of the fuse - you should be able to find it here;

Junction Block explained

3rd; Since you said the windows went out one by one, I question if the fuse is really the problem; If the fuse is not the problem, it could be that the power window push-buttons/switches for the windows in question have gone bad; the power window push-buttons/switches have metal contacts that wear down over time and when the metal contacts wear down enough, they will eventually fail and no longer work. Just some food for thought.

EDIT: I downloaded the PDF Owner's manual for a 2006 Jeep Commander for you.
It's attached to the bottom of this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts

Whitley;

First off, you can order an owner's manual here;

Dodge - Contact Us

Just look under the "Your Vehicle" Tab and you will see a link that says "Owner's Manual and Glove Box material" click on it and follow the instructions.

2nd; If you know the location of the fuse that controls the windows in question - replace it, it's a 5 minute job and if nothing else, you can eliminate the fuse as a potential cause.

If you are unsure of the location of the fuse - you should be able to find it here;

Junction Block explained

3rd; Since you said the windows went out one by one, I question if the fuse is really the problem; If the fuse is not the problem, it could be that the power window push-buttons/switches for the windows in question have gone bad; the power window push-buttons/switches have metal contacts that wear down over time and when the metal contacts wear down enough, they will eventually fail and no longer work. Just some food for thought.

EDIT: I downloaded the PDF Owner's manual for a 2006 Jeep Commander for you.
It's attached to the bottom of this post.
Great post been down this road before in my last Jeep an 01WJ. All my fuses went out around 150K, later had to replace the driver's side door switch as it went bad. On that Jeep is disabled my keyless remote as it needed programming I believe. Not sure if the Commander would be the same. Just something to keep in mind. Cheers Mark
Edit forgot to add you can find replacement switches online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts