Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander 3.7l v6 4X4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, Im new to the group so thanks for having me. We recently picked up an 2007 Jeep Commander for cheap. Maybe some will have some knowledge in this issue we are having. The power locks do not work from inside or the key fob, we kind of heard what sound like a relay click under the dash when trying from the fob, but nothing from the door. The windows at first only the back driver would open from the driver switch, then only the driver window would open from the driver door, while none of the other door switches would do anything. When trying to push the switch for the passenger window I could here a beep from behind the radio which was weird. checked the wires in the door jam on the driver door and didn't find anything broken. Any ideas or procedures to take from this would be greatly appreciated. I just finished a Dodge Ram project so I am mechanically inclined, just seeing if anybody's experiences can speed up the process of figuring out what could be wrong or what to check. Thanks again everybody for any help you can share with me.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
200 Posts
Hello everybody, Im new to the group so thanks for having me. We recently picked up an 2007 Jeep Commander for cheap. Maybe some will have some knowledge in this issue we are having. The power locks do not work from inside or the key fob, we kind of heard what sound like a relay click under the dash when trying from the fob, but nothing from the door. The windows at first only the back driver would open from the driver switch, then only the driver window would open from the driver door, while none of the other door switches would do anything. When trying to push the switch for the passenger window I could here a beep from behind the radio which was weird. checked the wires in the door jam on the driver door and didn't find anything broken. Any ideas or procedures to take from this would be greatly appreciated. I just finished a Dodge Ram project so I am mechanically inclined, just seeing if anybody's experiences can speed up the process of figuring out what could be wrong or what to check. Thanks again everybody for any help you can share with me.
Was it running when you got it or had it been sitting for awhile?
If you have an OBD reader that also does live data, I'd use that to check switch functions first.
I use this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was bought as a project cause it’s been sitting for a while. I have a scanner to check live data. Does that specific one allow you check and control switch functions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was bought as a project cause it’s been sitting for a while. I have a scanner to check live data. Does that specific one allow you check and control switch functions?

·
Registered
2007 Commander Overland 2WD 5.7L Hemi
9 Posts
Replace the driver door window/lock switch - just did it to our 2007 Commander Overland 5.7L - dealer quoted $428 to replace including $207 for the part - bought the part on Amazon for $26 - took me <15 minutes to replace - simply pop up the small armrest trim panel that the switch is mounted in - disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses - then pop the switch out the bottom of the trim panel - remove/replace/reconnect the 3 harnesses - one for the window, one for the locks, one for the mirror - pop the trim panel back into the door panel armrest and you are done - I posted several pictures a couple weeks ago - good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
The search box is your friend!
See post #5 in this.

·
Registered
06 Commander Limited 4.7 Black
7 Posts
Welcome to the group.
Anytime I have issues with door locks power windows, mirrors and such first place I generally look is the umbilical that stretches from the body to the door.
That bundle of wires is constantly being flexed. Well maybe not constantly but every time you open and close the driver's door. Try holding down one of the buttons that doesn't work and flex that bundle of wires with your free hand. Another place to look is body grounds Chrysler Jeep are notorious for bad grounds.
Good luck and let us know when you figure out what's causing it.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
658 Posts
i fired the "parts cannon" at my window issue replacing switches and it turned out to be the wiring, the wire harness that goes through the hinge joint to be specific. I picked up a few spares at the pick-n-pull and two of the three had wire insulation breaks at the same point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replace the driver door window/lock switch - just did it to our 2007 Commander Overland 5.7L - dealer quoted $428 to replace including $207 for the part - bought the part on Amazon for $26 - took me <15 minutes to replace - simply pop up the small armrest trim panel that the switch is mounted in - disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses - then pop the switch out the bottom of the trim panel - remove/replace/reconnect the 3 harnesses - one for the window, one for the locks, one for the mirror - pop the trim panel back into the door panel armrest and you are done - I posted several pictures a couple weeks ago - good luck!
I have an 08 ram so I already new about the wires in the door being a possibility, so I tried everything there first with no luck. We were waiting on a new switch which was cheap on Amazon that we will be trying today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well window switch didn’t work. But didn’t notice that when hit the lock or unlock on the key fob the lights flash and horn beeps but I just don’t get the doors to lock or unlock. Almost sounds like a relay under the dash is clicking like it’s trying but nothing happens. Windows still don’t work expect every once in a while. Also notice that the rear wiper motor is good, but doesn’t get power back to it. Saw another post about someone saying the wiring under the carpet going towards the back under the back seats got so hot they basically melted. Might have to check that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Human body Wood Gesture Nail Wrist

Wood Wrist Body jewelry Jewellery Nail
Well I think we found the problem… it’s gonna take a little time and patience to go through and cut out each wire and solder in new ones. Burned in 2 spots about 8 inches apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts