Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
I currently don't own a Commander
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Possibly going to look at a 2006 4.7 Limited 4x4 in Atlanta area tomorrow with a bit over 100k miles. Probably won't be able to line up a PPI due to time constraints and its cheap enough to take a gamble on. I'm a fairly knowledgeable DIY gearhead type and former Liberty CRD owner. Any tips for finding issues, "run away" faults, terminal $$$$ drips, wrong color coolant, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Knoxville TN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know it's short notice, but any recommendations for a PPI mechanic in E Atlanta today would be appreciated. This Commander has Quadra-Trac II.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
Rob
Traditional things like service records would be great, checks for the recalls, there are a few pretty important ones around the key switch unit. Also recognize its a 16 year old car
Main things i would be looking at would be if all electrical things are working. Nothing in the cluster as warnings. There are a lot of gremlins that pop up. These have a service life on the PCM, nothing too expensive to repair, just time.
Driving, listen for clunks, other rattles. front end clunks could be traditional suspension components, or the 4x4 front differential bushings.
The 4.7 is pretty reliable as a mb designed engine. These are prone to overheating, so i'd listen for misses or look for any spots in the engine bay. I'd be a little fearful of a rear main seal leak but almost everything else can be cured with fel-pro gasket..
We will see what others say

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
696 Posts
also may check for a 4wd facebook or message board like this in the ATL for a shop recommendation. a PPI is money well spent

like your handle and avatar. neighbor had a 914 with a SBC a few years back. scary fast but always had a cooling problem... never seemed to get that right...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice. Went to see it based on verbal description by dealer and photos on ad. Asked for extra pics but weren't sent. Found out why. Dealer grossly misrepresented car. Total waste of time. Added bonus, after texting dealer I was driving 4 hours to see it, verified I had first right of refusal, and followed up twice I was on the way, another "buyer" happened to show up right before me... I walked.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
Thanks for the replies and advice. Went to see it based on verbal description by dealer and photos on ad. Asked for extra pics but weren't sent. Found out why. Dealer grossly misrepresented car. Total waste of time. Added bonus, after texting dealer I was driving 4 hours to see it, verified I had first right of refusal, and followed up twice I was on the way, another "buyer" happened to show up right before me... I walked.
Sucks that they did that.
Maybe share their name so no one else gets sucked in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another to add to the "bad actors" list, Used Luxury Car Dealer - Serving Hickory & Charlotte NC | Mich's Foreign Cars
Arranged a PPI for a Cayenne S we were ready to pull the trigger on at a dealer 3 hours away.
Discovered some issues on my visual inspection and test drive that weren't disclosed by the dealer on website and phone calls. Saw and smelled a valve cover gasket leak among other things that weren't necessarily deal killers.
PPI turned up a rear main seal leak, which is really unusual on a Cayenne V8.
When we told the dealer we were passing based on the rear main seal leak, they responded "our service manager just replaced that". So much for their claimed "full transparency".
PPI shop owner told me he's had to clean up some of that dealer's boo-boos in the past.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also may check for a 4wd facebook or message board like this in the ATL for a shop recommendation. a PPI is money well spent

like your handle and avatar. neighbor had a 914 with a SBC a few years back. scary fast but always had a cooling problem... never seemed to get that right...
Thanks! Air Cooled VW's were my entry into DIY wrenching. My first 66 bugs' 1300 cc engine outlasted 1 bug and 2 splitty bus bodies (64 Westy and 66 21 window Samba, all succumbed to rust). Once purchased a turbo'd 914 off Ebay from the OG owners estate. Was really quick on boost...until it warmed up and started detonating like crazy. Learned a lot about aftermarket turbocharging and Bosch FI systems (and how difficult it was / is to get vintage aftermarket turbo kits and stock FI to play nice together). Sold it and bought it back a few years later and converted it back to stock FI. Not that long ago (when Porsches were simply old cars, not portfolio level investments) I almost bought a SBC V8 twin turbo 914 project that was a VW & Porsche magazine feature car back in the day. It wasn't running at the time... and the extreme torque when it ran started pulling some of the body / frame rail / floor seams apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possibly going to look at a 2006 4.7 Limited 4x4 in Atlanta area tomorrow with a bit over 100k miles. Probably won't be able to line up a PPI due to time constraints and its cheap enough to take a gamble on. I'm a fairly knowledgeable DIY gearhead type and former Liberty CRD owner. Any tips for finding issues, "run away" faults, terminal $$$$ drips, wrong color coolant, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Knoxville TN
I have a 06 3.7 commander, looks great, but... motor knocks at 2800 rpm (reason unknown) many transmission faults but it shifts and drives normal. These codes appear to be random so maybe the ECM is bad. I bought the car cheap because the dealer could not find the faults. The previous owner reported multiple problems with a lot of down time. I buy difficult cars to investigate as a hobby, so buyer beware.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
262 Posts
I have a 06 3.7 commander, looks great, but... motor knocks at 2800 rpm (reason unknown) many transmission faults but it shifts and drives normal. These codes appear to be random so maybe the ECM is bad. I bought the car cheap because the dealer could not find the faults. The previous owner reported multiple problems with a lot of down time. I buy difficult cars to investigate as a hobby, so buyer beware.
Since both engine and transmission controls are in the ECM, that's probably where the problem lies.
Could try cleaning the connectors first with some spray electronics cleaner.

·
Administrator
8,445 Posts
Thanks,
Rob
Knoxville TN
Anything you need to know when considering buying a Commander is in the below thread;

Best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts