Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten a few things in order with selling my old Cherokee and I am looking to lift up the Commander. I want to get into some new tires before the snow starts flying. I can't go for the SuperLift or OME at this time. I have a pretty good sense of what I want to get but any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I plan on probably ordering the whole setup online. I also have a couple questions?

1. Lift probably going with the BDS 2" for about $250. People run lots of different budget lifts on here like the RockyRoad. Should I re-consider the RockyRoad with shocks setup or throwing some aftermarket shocks on with the BDS?

2. SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers $200. These seem like a must have for bigger tires and the small lift. Has anyone found any new wheels that run the 255/75/17 without spacers?

3. And of course the killer deal on TireRack with the $94 BFG MudTerrain 255/75/17. It sounds like most people can't get a spare Mud into the spare slot with the TowPackage? Do most people with the Muds just run a Fortera for a spare?

4. Installing: I am still trying to decide weather to install it myself or have it installed. I have worked on cars for about 7 years. Just this week I had to swap out my fiancees alternator on her 95 Olds. I don't have experience with suspension work however I do have air tools. I haven't found a Jeep dealerships in northern Colorado that will do the install. There may be a few down in the Denver area. I will be keeping the Commander for years and don't want to run into warranty issues with the full coverage on it and lifting. A local 4x4 shop quoted me at $450 + $60 for alignment. Does that sounds reasonable or too high? For those that do their own installs do you need to take the Commander to the dealership for re-alignment and programming for bigger tire size (255/75/17)?

Thanks to the Forum for any answers comments or suggestions. Also recommendations for online sites for buying the gear are appreciated. Lots of great advice on this Forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
1. Lift probably going with the BDS 2" for about $250. People run lots of different budget lifts on here like the RockyRoad. Should I re-consider the RockyRoad with shocks setup or throwing some aftermarket shocks on with the BDS?

2. SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers $200. These seem like a must have for bigger tires and the small lift. Has anyone found any new wheels that run the 255/75/17 without spacers?

3. And of course the killer deal on TireRack with the $94 BFG MudTerrain 255/75/17. It sounds like most people can't get a spare Mud into the spare slot with the TowPackage? Do most people with the Muds just run a Fortera for a spare?

4. Installing: I am still trying to decide weather to install it myself or have it installed. I have worked on cars for about 7 years. Just this week I had to swap out my fiancees alternator on her 95 Olds. I don't have experience with suspension work however I do have air tools. I haven't found a Jeep dealerships in northern Colorado that will do the install. There may be a few down in the Denver area. I will be keeping the Commander for years and don't want to run into warranty issues with the full coverage on it and lifting. A local 4x4 shop quoted me at $450 + $60 for alignment. Does that sounds reasonable or too high? For those that do their own installs do you need to take the Commander to the dealership for re-alignment and programming for bigger tire size (255/75/17)?
1. I installed the Rusty's(with shocks). Been happy with it.

2. I have the spacers on as well but ran out of money.

3. You could run the Fortera as a spare for a little while, as in no longer than it would take to get to the nearest tire shop.
If you don't have a hitch I believe you can fit a little bigger tire under there. If you do have a hitch I think your stuck.

4. You can do this install yourself. All you need is a spring compressor. You probably have everything else. As far as an alignment you don't have to go to the dealer, any alignment shop you trust can do it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Lumberjim tried these and determined that they are really just to big for the set up that you are proposing, Click Here

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I wouldnt even recommend driving 5 feet with a stock tire on in place of a 255/75R17. The 255/75R17 is over 2 inches taller then stock. With our vehicles being full time 4WD you are going to cause damage to the transfer case if not blow it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I wouldnt even recommend driving 5 feet with a stock tire on in place of a 255/75R17. The 255/75R17 is over 2 inches taller then stock. With our vehicles being full time 4WD you are going to cause damage to the transfer case if not blow it.
I agree 100% DO NOT RUN ON MISMATCHED TIRE SIZES!!! you do not have to get a full size spare but expect to call for a tow if you get a flat.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
2. 255/70/17's Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors could be run without the wheel spacers, but any bigger you will definitely need the spacers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lumberjim tried these and determined that they are really just to big for the set up that you are proposing, Click Here
Thanks for all the advice. That definitely makes sense to not run mis-matched tire sizes wit the AWD. I may have to re-think the spare setup. Don't even know if it is possible but can you removed the Tow package to accommodate a 255/75/17 in the spare slot?

Hmm....I might be mistaken on the tire size of 255/75/17 with the 2 " lift. I thought members like sciron4x4 were able to make the setup work with 2" lift, spacers, and lots of trimming, cutting, and banging on the pinch weld. Thanks again for the advice and I will keep searching the forum for the best setup for me.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
There are many members running the BFGoodrich MT's in the 255/75R17's. Wheels spacers are needed, a 2-2.5 inch lift, and trimming of the inner wheel well plastic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
you would have less issues with the bigger Rock Krawler lift for maybe a $100 more..........its a full 3.5"

I don't think anyone here runs it yet (its newer) but I've made arrangements to order mine

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
IMO the RockCrawler lift is garbage. When you get into lifts larger then 2-2.5 inches on an IFS you need to use drop down brackets to regain stock suspension geometry. That 3.5 inch lift is going to cause major stress to the upper ball joints, cv axles and many other suspension parts. The is a reason why the 4 inch superlift has drop down brackets and relocates the differential and all. But if your going to use the RockCrawler lift I wish you luck. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
IMO the RockCrawler lift is garbage. When you get into lifts larger then 2-2.5 inches on an IFS you need to use drop down brackets to regain stock suspension geometry. That 3.5 inch lift is going to cause major stress to the upper ball joints, cv axles and many other suspension parts. The is a reason why the 4 inch superlift has drop down brackets and relocates the differential and all. But if your going to use the RockCrawler lift I wish you luck. Let us know how it goes!
I second this. That lift gets really reviews and has had a lot of problems. Google it and see for yourself.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks for that advice about the JK takeoffs and to everyone for advice. So this lifting is hitting a snag as I consider different options for the spare. I really wanted to go with those 255/75/17 but don't really want to be running around without a spare. Been driving 7 years and never a flat but I figure as soon as I am not prepared BAM flat tire on a Saturday morning heading up to snowboard. I have seen different posts but what size tires have people gotten into the spare slot even if it is super tight squeeze? Thanks and if anyone has gotten the 255/75/17 in there somehow please let me know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts