Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just got my new AEV wheels today. I am excited to get these babies mounted. I start calling around to get some prices. Well what I found out is that no one will do the switch for me. They all said since I did not buy the wheels from them, they would not touch the wheels. They then told me if I bought a set of tires then they would mount on the wheels for me. I called at least five shops and got the same thing. NOT COOL, what a bunch of bung holes. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
UberCommander said:
So I just got my new AEV wheels today. I am excited to get these babies mounted. I start calling around to get some prices. Well what I found out is that no one will do the switch for me. They all said since I did not buy the wheels from them, they would not touch the wheels. They then told me if I bought a set of tires then they would mount on the wheels for me. I called at least five shops and got the same thing. NOT COOL, what a bunch of bung holes. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I've heard of many mom and pops that won't do it because they're upset that you didn't purchase locally. Problem is, they themselves sell wheel/tire combos over the internet so they're doing the exact same thing they're so against.

What kind of shops have you tried, locally owned, or national chains? I'd try discount tire if there's one in your area. Or, your dealer, they try to get money any way they can. Probably cost more than a tire shop, but if they do it, it'll be cheaper than a full set of tires.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
UberCommander said:
but you bought new tires. I was wanting to pay someone to mount OEM tires on wheels I bought from third party.
Unless you were planning to sell the OEM wheels to get the tires, just hold off on putting the wheels on until you are ready to get the tires.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RedCommander said:
What kind of shops have you tried, locally owned, or national chains? I'd try discount tire if there's one in your area. Or, your dealer, they try to get money any way they can. Probably cost more than a tire shop, but if they do it, it'll be cheaper than a full set of tires.

I called all of the stores I know of around the base. I could wait to put the wheels on, but that is no fun to have these wheels just sitting there doing nothing. ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is just stupid. Any job is a job, they should be happy to sell their services to you. Good luck on your search to find someone to do it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
When you find someone, make sure you take your business back to them. What comes around, goes around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant believe that. Down here in Alabama you could go to any shop with out any problems. I can think off the top of my head that I have been to 3 shops that have swapped tires out for me on my mustangs and other cars. Sounds like nobody likes money up there. I almost always buy tires from my buddy at the Ford parts dep. for good deals and just go to the shop that is least busy to get them mounted.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I found one guy who would do it for $53.25, the only problem is I don't know if I would trust him to mount them. He is a one man show and as I was talking with him, he had chew juice running down his chin. I just decide to get new tires and carry the spare in the back until AEV comes out with tire holder. I called them today to double check on if they are for real about tire holder and after talking with a few of them, they said it is for real. The tires I am starting to lean towards are 265/70/17 Firestone Destination M/Ts. If they rub, I will go with 265/70/17 REVO's.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
UberCommander said:
I just decide to get new tires and carry the spare in the back until AEV comes out with tire holder. I called them today to double check on if they are for real about tire holder and after talking with a few of them, they said it is for real.
I hate to rain on your parade, but like I said before, don't hold your breath. Especially now since it's official that 2009 is the last year for the Commander. The guys at AEV have contacts with DCX and know what's going on. Unless they have had a very high request volumn for the parts I doubt they are going to produce them. I hope I am wrong because I would also like to have the rear tire mount and some other things for my Commander, but I'm not counting on it happening.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
RedCommander said:
Did I miss the Jeep announcement, or are you just going by that milous guy? Why should we trust him?
Yes, I am going by what Milous has said. I believe he knows where of he speaks (yea, I grew up in the 60's). Don't have any reason not to trust him.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There Has Been No Official Announcement That Commander Production Will End In 2009!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
did you ever get them mounted? lol

it has been a decade.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
housedl said:
did you ever get them mounted? lol

it has been a decade.
I don't understand. A wheel is a wheel.
I know this is an ancient thread (and I really get kind of irritated when people dredge up these 10 year old threads for no good reason) I'm also pretty confident that this dude RedCommander is long gone, since he hasn't posted since 2010 and probably doesn't even own his Commander anymore - but I can tell you why people run into issues with this.

The new AEV rims don't have the OEM TPM sensors mounted on them like the factory rims do.

Most shops won't do a swap like this for liability reasons.

Here's the scenario;

You take your XK to a shop to swap out your rims and tires with your new AEV rims and your TPM sensors were working when your brought your XK into the shop.

The shop takes your factory rims and tires off, mount tires on your new AEV rims and put them on your vehicle and you leave that shop with your TPM sensors not working because your new AEV rims didn't come with OEM TPM sensors on them.

Now say a week or so later, something happens and you have an accident; that shop would be liable for damages and could be sued because the TPM sensors that were working when you went to that shop and are considered standard safety equipment/sensors, were disabled and not functioning, due to the rim and tire swap that they performed. Some states actually have legislation pertaining to this that make it illegal to perform.

I had that same exact issue here in Virginia a few years ago when I first had my custom Centerlines mounted on my previous vehicle an '08 Grand Cherokee, the shop gave me a really hard time for the reasons I just mentioned but after about 40 minutes of complaining and getting the shop manager involved via a phone call, I signed waiver of liability and they finally agreed to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts