Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago, I removed the original tail light assemblies on my 2006 Commander Limited and replaced them with LEDs. They worked fine until last month, then my ESP and BAS light started coming on and if the truck sat for more than a week, the battery would go dead. Took it to the dealer and they said that the LEDs "caused feed-back" and caused the control module to malfunction, causing the drain, warning lights to come on, and the 3rd brake light to stay on with the running lights. They removed the LEDs and put the old lights back on, so far I haven't had a problem!
Any of you out there ever heard of this problem?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
boy, I think this is a good one for robby! Unless there is a short somewhere....or a bad resistor in the makeup of the LED assembly. Was this just a bulb or entire assembly? Who made the lights? you might check with them. How were the lights installed?

·
2,248 Posts
I have had LED tail lights for almost two years and have had no problems. If you still want to use your tail lights you could insert diodes in the power wire going to each function. It would probably take about 6 or 7 small diodes to prevent any chance of feedback.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i had the same problem with my old smoked LED tailights so I threw them out. it is definitely a resistor problem.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Towards the bottom of this page: http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

You will see load resistor kits. The XK headlights have a related problem of circuits not shutting down when HID kits are installed. It's because the computer is ''expecting'' the resistance of a lightbulb in the socket. The circuit is staying alive with the LED's because they only draw a tiny fraction of the current.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts