Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK took the Commander into the shop today to see if my mechanic had any ideas what was making the noise. He was kinda busy so sent me to another buddy who has a suspension/alignment shop. He put it on the lift and shook the hell out of it and came to the conclusion the noise is not in the suspension, but coming from the drivetrain more specifically the transfer case. Took it back to my buddy's shop he put it on the lift. He didn't think the angles on the transfer case were that bad and shouldn't be the problem. My half shafts have some extreme angle on them though and he thinks that is the problem. I can't afford to throw money at it until it is fixed. The wife is already pissed about me putting money into lifting it and now I need to put more money in to get it right. any help is appreciated.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
102 Posts
sorry friend, there's not a lot of information in your post. What sort of noise is it? What circumstances do you hear the noise? (speed, throttle input, steering, etc etc etc)

give us as much info as you can so we can try to help.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Everything is stretched out a bit further now so if anything in your suspension was bad or on its was out you would definitely hear it more now. You can shake every part of that front end by hand all you want but it ain't gonna do a thing! Lol! I had a clunk forever and couldn't figure it out. It ended up being a lower ball joint and I must have shook it (by hand! Lol!) A hundred times and said that can't be it! Wasn't til I go it out that I could tell. If you give a little more information on what you are hearing we could probably narrow it down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well right after the lift there was a steady clicking, vibration noise indicating to me it was the CV joint. I ordered new half shafts and have them sitting in the garage because I wasn't able to get that lower bolt out of the strut fork. Yesterday there was loud popping and wheel jumping almost like something was trying to break and come through the floor boards. I knew something was seriously wrong at this point and that's why I took it to the shop. I guess in the back of my head I still think it's those half shafts just needing replaced, but with the added doubts from talking to people today I am concerned it's not the problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did the mechanic take it out for a drive with you, in an effort to replicate your concerns?

Shaking it around doesn't nearly simulate the impact of hitting a pothole at 30mph, or decelerating and braking while turning...

Looking at the front suspension, I'd replace the sway bar end links just to mark that off the list. I'd also be curious about the condition of the lower ball joints. Noises are hard to troubleshoot over the internet, if you think you've screwed up a CV somehow, then by all means that's probably the noise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well, here's what I think:
I think that if you've already got the halfshafts there in the garage, then put 'em on. And while you're disassmebling to do so, you'll very likely find the noise-maker.

I'm a fan of replacing parts when I have to take them off and put them back on. Things like bushings, ball-joints, hardware, etc. And struts, if they've got some miles on them. ???

Finally: what size tire / wheel / spacer are you running? any chance you're hearing a wheel rubbing the inner fenderwell? that can make a hell of a shaking / racket.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is a whole thread on steering racks making noise after doing a 2" RC lift, might be worth reading and seeing if that is the problem. You seemed convinced its driveline, and maybe the conditions you get the noise would make it very likely only driveline, but you haven't really told us enough to rule one source of the noise from another.

Sway Bar bushings can cause clunks and bangs, as you the body sways one direction from the other or at least start to sway from neutral. And Commanders have them wear faster than other vehicles. But the sound would never be at the same frequency as driveline.

Push, Pull, Twist, Shake of the suspension and driveline to find slack and worn out joints, only works if the weight/pressure/force is off the joints/suspension/driveline. You have to put the vehicle up in the air and take the weight/pressure off the suspension, there is no way a human can produce the same force on a suspension as a 5000lb vehicle moving 60mph. Even with the weight/pressure off, a bad joint could still NOT show slack with just the force of a human.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Definitely sounds like a cv joint or a bad wheel sensor.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
??? Bad wheel sensor?

I've never heard of a bad wheel sensor making a noise.

whatcha thinking? clue me in.
Maybe he meant Wheel Bearing?

Wheel Bearings usually make grinding or dull roar noises, although I guess its possible for them to make clicking noises, CV joints would be more likely to make that noise.

Something could get stuck between wheel sensor and tone ring and cause a noise, I guess?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after getting the lower bushing out we got the axels out. I pulled the boot off the inner passenger side and 1 of the bearings was free along with some misc metal junk in the grease. Not 100% sure yet but I think that was my problem. Wish my mail would show up with my new bushings so I can put her back together.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
A bad wheel sensor would activate the traction control and it would feel like clunking, vibration and make noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wish my mail would show up with my new bushings so I can put her back together.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah me too - I've got a similar problem that's driving me nuts! ')

My mechanic (who is generally trustworthy) said my LCA bushings are shot, but Jeep don't sell the bushings and I'd need a whole new LCA's. Which bushings did you order?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the advice of others I ordered Moog bushings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that seems to have been the major problem. Did 80 on the highway with no clicking clanking or sounds that make you think the drivetrain is gonna break off and come thru the floorboards. Now I have some bushing clanking when going over bumps that I need to figure out and then will be good.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A bad wheel sensor would activate the traction control and it would feel like clunking, vibration and make noise.
I suppose its possible, but I think you would get a sigficant pull toward the side the brake was activating, or sense something wrong with the engine if traction control was decreasing power. As well, you'd "likely" get an "ABS" or "Brake" warning light on the dash and stored DTC's. BUT, there are plenty of examples where a sensor goes bad and doesn't set a DTC or warning light.

You can't rule it out, but I say its the least likely of the ones listed, I'm "guessing" you'd see other symptoms that would point toward the brakes/engine if traction control was inadvertently activated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I suppose its possible, but I think you would get a sigficant pull toward the side the brake was activating, or sense something wrong with the engine if traction control was decreasing power. As well, you'd "likely" get an "ABS" or "Brake" warning light on the dash and stored DTC's. BUT, there are plenty of examples where a sensor goes bad and doesn't set a DTC or warning light.

You can't rule it out, but I say its the least likely of the ones listed, I'm "guessing" you'd see other symptoms that would point toward the brakes/engine if traction control was inadvertently activated.
+1 on this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts