Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2007 2WD Limited with the Hemi for my wife for a pretty good deal in Southern CA. I've been admiring the Commander since it's launch in 2006 and happy to finally have one in our driveway!

It has about 50k miles on it and the only warranty is the remainder of the powertrain from the manufacturer. We sold my wife's other car due to constant mech issues (2003 Audi A4) and we're hoping not to have the same issues with this one.

My question is: Are there any common problems I should know about (other than the sunroof leaking) and be prepared for or are the Commanders being somewhat reliable for you guys with regular maintenance? Any feedback is greatly appreciated to put our minds at ease (or start saving for repairs)!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The only problem I ever had with my '07 was the driver's heated seat stopped working. I had it fixed under warranty. Everything else has been regular maintenance.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I purchased mine new and have had it for 3.5 years and have no major problems except for a bad casting of the front differential (fixed under extended warranty). I have not quite 40K miles. Since yours has a remaining powertrain warranty, this may not be an issue, but at 30K, all drivetrain fluids and spark plugs are to be changed. See if you can verify that this has been done. There were 3 recalls: third row seat belt bracket cover, anti-lock brakes, and reprogram powertrain control module. You can have dealer run your VIN to see if theses have been done. There is a TSB for the leaking sunroof (drains may be plugged) and whistling noise from these drains (new endcaps are installed). Other than that, this is a great vehicle, one you will enjoy for many years. Everyone here will back me up on this point. Have fun out there.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I just picked up a 2007 2WD Limited with the Hemi for my wife for a pretty good deal in Southern CA. I've been admiring the Commander since it's launch in 2006 and happy to finally have one in our driveway!

It has about 50k miles on it and the only warranty is the remainder of the powertrain from the manufacturer. We sold my wife's other car due to constant mech issues (2003 Audi A4) and we're hoping not to have the same issues with this one.

My question is: Are there any common problems I should know about (other than the sunroof leaking) and be prepared for or are the Commanders being somewhat reliable for you guys with regular maintenance? Any feedback is greatly appreciated to put our minds at ease (or start saving for repairs)!
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new to you Commander.
Being a 2wd, you have a lot less mechanical things to fret over.

You can go the Jeep website and enter the 'For Owners' page.
Here, you can enter your VIN# and find out if you have any open recalls.
Don't worry about age or mileage, recalls have no time/mileage limit.

You have a leg up on things since you live in California.
You have no corrosion concerns around the ABS wheel sensors so, one less thing to think about.
Although these don't have much in the way of connector issues, some have cropped up around the transfer case shift motor.....again, something you don't have to worry about.

You didn't mention if you have a tow hitch.
If you do, and it shows evidence of use (paint worn off inside the reciever, scratches around the safety chain holes) then give consideration to changing the differental oil and the trans fluid to establish a baseline.
If the hitch shows no use or there isn't one, the manual says you can pass on the fluid service at this time.
But, I still think it would be a good idea from the establishment of service you should develop.
I do not have the manual in front of me, but I believe the HEMI has a longer plug change interval than 30k.
You'll have to look it up.
If you don't yet have the manual there is a electronic one available in the same 'For Owners' section I mentioned earlier.
If it was mine, I would replace the serpentine belt and air filter now so I know they are fresh. Keep the old belt in the vehicle for a highway emergency spare
You should have the brakes inspected so you have a estimate of remaining service life on the pads.

You'll know if the sunroof drains have a problem after the first good rainstorm.
If all is well, you can keep it that way by following two steps.
1. Do not leave the roof open for ventilation when parked.
2. Do not open the roof till you have driven a few minutes to blow debris off the roof.
What you are trying to prevent is the stuff that gets blown on your car does not get blown into the sunroof drain tray.
This will happen if the roof is left open to ventilate or is opened before wind has had a chance to blow the stuff off the roof.

Bout all that comes to mind for now.

Enjoy!
Rob

P.S. The Commander will be wayyyyyy easier on the checkbook than that A-4 was!

·
2,248 Posts
Now see what kind of great advice you get on a Jeep Commander web site. I think that Robby gives about the best practical and mechanical advice on the Forum. The price for his advice is not bad either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for all the responses! I feel much better about the long term reliability as long as I keep up the regular maintenance. Robby, thanks for the link to the recalls, that will be very helpful. Also, we have the tow package however it doesn't appear it was ever used :) For what its worth, we picked up the Commander from a reputable Jeep dealer in Torrance (just south of LA) so I assume they did a full service before putting it on the lot. I guess I can't be too sure though so better do a cautionary service to be safe.

Man, I'm loving this truck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
My 2WD HEMI XK has been pretty reliable than I had anticipated from day 1. It was my wife who eyed this vehicle in the first place (I had no clue what a Jeep Commander was; thought we were going to get her a Wrangler).

With that said, here are the following items I had done to it:
Under the base warranty:
Sunroof drain tubes
Windshield weatherstrip
Window regulators (both sides)
Driver side door handle (inside)
Fogged up taillamps (moisture build up)
Rear isolators (rear would squeak over the smallest bumps)
Passenger side mirror (would slightly shake while driving on the freeway)
Transmission oil pan gasket leak.

Under extended warranty (ends when I hit 70K):
Steering knuckle (whirling/rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel)
Driver side cigarette lighter (not working)
Transmission leak (casing/housing was leaking)

For a vehicle w/ nearly 63K miles already, the engine itself has been flawless. The vehicle has been well maintained, and drives like a champ. Virtually everything is still original under the hood. I make it a habit to steam clean the engine about every 7500-10K miles to prevent wear and tear. A brake job is in the works soon in my schedule to do... I hear it's really simple. For preventive measures, I'd follow this schedule:

Replace air filter (every 7500 to 10K miles)
Replace oil/filter (every 3K for regular oil; 10K w/ Mobil1 Synthetic Extended)
Replace transmission fluid (flush out every 60K)
Replace brake fluid (flush every 2 years)
Replace rear differential fluid (every 15K)
Replace coolant (flush every 60K)
Set tires to 38psi (rather than 35psi, so you don't need to check it so often)

That should cover the majority of it... I hope yours has been driving like a champ like mine. :)

You can also find more sources here: http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to get work done on my 2009 Commander and they would NOT cover it with the warranty because I was not the ORIGINAL owner. Be careful and don't let the Drive train warranty give you false hope. I even went to 2 dealerships!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 07 limited hemi 4x4 about three months ago and i love it, however.... It now dies on me randomly while coming to a stop, idling (in gear, neutral, or park),reversing, and sometimes while leaving a stop under light acceleration. When shifting from drive or reverse into neutral the tranny squeaks and sort of bangs out of gear. There is also hesitation where i will give it light throttle and nothing happens, i give it more and it acts like i am trying to floor it. It is giving no trouble codes and i have tried resetting the computer. I dont know if its related or not but it also sounds like it has a manifold leak. Otherwise i really love this jeep and I want it fixed. I purchased a warranty through ford and it should be covered no matter what yet the Jeep dealership tells me that theres nothing wrong with the thing and its all "normal". SOOOOO..... If this is normal please tell me so I can stop worrying about looking like a douchebag when i have to restart my nice ass jeep in the middle of traffic....:SM145:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 111,000+ miles on my 2007 Hemi Commander and it's been the best vehicle maintenance wise that I have owned. The only things I have replaced outside of normal routine maintenance are the starter, EGR, oil cooler lines and transmission gasket. Like the OP, my 2004 Audi A4 on the other hand is a constant repair bill.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Super glue!!! That's how many members have fixed the shaking. Do a search and it will explain what needs to be done

·
Super Moderator
15,011 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2WD HEMI XK has been pretty reliable than I had anticipated from day 1. It was my wife who eyed this vehicle in the first place (I had no clue what a Jeep Commander was; thought we were going to get her a Wrangler).

With that said, here are the following items I had done to it:
Under the base warranty:
Sunroof drain tubes
Windshield weatherstrip
Window regulators (both sides)
Driver side door handle (inside)
Fogged up taillamps (moisture build up)
Rear isolators (rear would squeak over the smallest bumps)
Passenger side mirror (would slightly shake while driving on the freeway)
Transmission oil pan gasket leak.

Under extended warranty (ends when I hit 70K):
Steering knuckle (whirling/rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel)
Driver side cigarette lighter (not working)
Transmission leak (casing/housing was leaking)

For a vehicle w/ nearly 63K miles already, the engine itself has been flawless. The vehicle has been well maintained, and drives like a champ. Virtually everything is still original under the hood. I make it a habit to steam clean the engine about every 7500-10K miles to prevent wear and tear. A brake job is in the works soon in my schedule to do... I hear it's really simple. For preventive measures, I'd follow this schedule:

Replace air filter (every 7500 to 10K miles)
Replace oil/filter (every 3K for regular oil; 10K w/ Mobil1 Synthetic Extended)
Replace transmission fluid (flush out every 60K)
Replace brake fluid (flush every 2 years)
Replace rear differential fluid (every 15K)
Replace coolant (flush every 60K)
Set tires to 38psi (rather than 35psi, so you don't need to check it so often)

That should cover the majority of it... I hope yours has been driving like a champ like mine. :)

You can also find more sources here: http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm
Driver side cigarette lighter is not working this is a common problem. so we can talk about it frequently. i also faced this problem in my automobile workshop. so i want a lifetime solution of this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Jeep Commander 4WD 4.7L Flex Fuel

Hoping one of you folks can help me out. I have a friend who owns a 2007 Jeep Commander 4WD 4.7L Flex Fuel. Recently her alternator was going out. Her boyfriend assured her, he could do the work. Unfortunately he had no idea what he was doing and ended up splicing wires, which resulted in a new clip for the alternator. So...anyways....he installed the wrong alternator, did not hook up any kind of clip to the alternator. She drove the vehicle about 30 miles on the wrong alternator. Fast Forward to today....now she has the correct alternator, with the correct clip. The vehicle still will not start. It does roll over but no fire to get the beast roaring. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what could now be wrong with it? We have been told the mega fuse and possibly any fuse related to the charging system. I am hoping one of you could give me a little more insight and possibly the location of said mega fuse. I may be a girl, but I am determined to get my friends vehicle fixed. Any help or advise any one of you could give would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanced and God Bless!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts