Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 jeep commander and my back up sensor has stopped work for the last 6-8 months. I can't find what fuse it is so that I can check to see if that's the issue can anyone help me locate the fuse so I can check it. Thank you for your help and time. Lexi

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I am having problems with mine as well, though I hope a good wash will help as its pretty dirty.

I have heard cleaning and re-greasing the contacts can help. (di-electric grease)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have heard cleaning and re-greasing the contacts can help. (di-electric grease)
I've seen several posts on this board stating exactly that experience, had trouble with the sensors for the backup/park and they cleaned them thoroughly, NOT only washing both sides, but removing the connectors, cleaning them with electrical cleaner and using di-electric grease on them and it solved the problem.

Remember they are exposed to a lot of road salt, dirt and lots of water, that stuff mixes together it makes a grime that is very conductive of electricity, a little works it way into the connector and you've got a short.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Same issue with mine. Had the bumper repainted and when I put theback in they failed. A good cleaning and dielectric grease and they are fine.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yes, any auto part store will carry di-electric grease. Look at the shelf with all the RTV Silicone Tubes, sealants and glues, there is usually small tubes of di-electric grease for changing spark plugs.

Most also have a cheap jobber pack on a rack at the check out counter, along with jobber packs of anti-seize, brake grease, etc.

Also pick up a can of electric contact cleaner as well. You've got to clean the body of the sensor as well, with soap and water, do that with the connector connected so you don't get water in the connectors/contacts, then use the spray can of contact cleaner on the connectors/contacts. Look for corrosion in the contacts as well, and try to scrape/brush it off as well as you can.

·
Registered
554 Posts
contact cleaner and di-electric grease. The cure all to most of our electrical problems when dealing with connectors exposed to the weather, and road salt. Too bad this doesn't cure the computer problems some have here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts