Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a problem getting a roof basket from Defender/OffRoadUnlimited? I ordered one back in early March with a promised two-week delivery. I called OffRoadUnlimited the next week to make sure they were on schedule and was told they were at the welder and scheduled to go to the powdercoater on Friday. Called the next week and was told they were getting powdercoated and could probably ship on Friday. Called Friday and was forwarded to the "owner" who told me that they were at the welder and would go to the powdercoater the next week. By now, my scheduled trip to Utah had been cancelled so I wasn't in such a hurry for the rack. I waited two weeks and called again. This time I was told they were "swamped" and could they call me back in a few minutes. No call back. I called two days later to say they hadn't called me back and was put on hold for 10 minutes before I hung up. Another week passed and I called again. This time there was so much static on the line that I couldn't hear what they were saying. They did call me back on a different line to say they would have to look up the invoice to see where I was in line for shipment. Never got a call back on that. Called again two days later and again the static problem. Called the next week and the phone rang and rang--no answer. By now I'm pretty frustrated so I call the Defender number and got through only to find out that Defender and OffRoadUnlimited are the same company and the guy I had been dealing with had a new phone number. When I get him on the phone he again puts me on hold. Another guy picks up...then another. The last guy is Maurice--the owner who again tells me he will have to look up my invoice and call me back. I have had it by this time and tell him I have been getting the run around for a month and will have to cancel my order. He sounds very disappointed but agrees to credit the $550 back to me. It's a week later now and I'm still waiting for the credit to show up.

Now I'm not an obnoxious guy and was very friendly with them on the phone until the very end, so I don't think the problem stemmed from my attitude. Has anyone else had problems like this?

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might try asking Gulf550 about them. I believe he had some long waiting issues with the racks. I got mine from him but i did order the mounts from them and they came in a timely manner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have one of the early runs of the one piece rack. After about six months it started to rust. Was working in Burbank so I went by ORU and showed them the rack. They acknowledge a problem in the acid dip before powder coating. They told me they would talk to Maurice and let him know about. I called several times after that, getting the run around. Ended up having it repowder coated myself. I can't say much for their customer service.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It took me approx. 4 months to get my original rack. Within 3-4 weeks it started to rust. I called them and spoke to a rep. about it. After sending pictures they decided they would replace it for free, but I would have to wait till they got back from powder coating. Almost 1 year to the date I originally complained about it was when I got my replacement rack. PITA......The only way I got it was to send off a nasty e-mail to guy I was dealing with. Well luckly within 5 mins of sending it to him he called me up and said one was on the way. One company I will probably never deal with again. If you are doing it by e-mail, just save everything. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is the guys name I was dealing with and his e-mail address.
Mike Parks [email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are doing it by e-mail, just save everything. I wish you the best of luck.
That's the nice thing about using a credit card. If I have an email trail, the card company will reimburse and then go after the vendor.

It's too bad. I really liked the look and size of their rack, and the fact that it's one piece.

·
Registered
288 Posts
To be honest with you, my original one was the one piece. My replacement one was the bolt together style, which I like more. Just my opinion though.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I really liked the look and size of their rack, and the fact that it's one piece.
:rofl: I just can't resist. Here's nice rack in a one piece:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow - that sucks...

I just got my Defender rack a month ago. Walked into 4wheelParts and ordered it, had it in two days.

what rack are you guys trying to order?? Welded 4.5'x5.0' here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had mine on for about 3/4 of a year and no rust yet. Mine is the replacement one that gulf550 had sent to him and he sent it to me. Maybe they sorted out the powder coat problem. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow - that sucks...

I just got my Defender rack a month ago. Walked into 4wheelParts and ordered it, had it in two days.

It was the 5.5'x5.0' one-piece. You must have caught them when they had stock. They said they were making "a bunch" right now. They probably take orders for awhile, then make 20 or 40 racks to save cost. I wouldn't have minded waiting if they had been up front about it. I just don't think intentionally lying to customers is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wow - that sucks...

How much did it run you from 4wp? I might be getting a rack for fathers day and im pricing up all of my options... I'm really not too thrilled about the $200 shipping from ORU for either of the racks. Its $200 regardless if you get the 45504 one-piece or the 45505 two-piece (just one is truck freight and the other is UPS).

Also didn't see Defender on the 4wp website. Maybe i'll have to call them up...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I take that back... just found it on 4wp (they use ORU as the manufacturer).

45504 one piece welded is $600 shipped
45505 bolt together is $470 shipped

... good to know

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take that back... just found it on 4wp (they use ORU as the manufacturer).

45504 one piece welded is $600 shipped
45505 bolt together is $470 shipped

... good to know
ORU quoted me $465 for the 45504 plus $200 shipping. I thought the shipping (to NM no less) was outrageous so I asked if I could have FedEx Freight pick it up (I have a business account) and they agreed. Maybe that was the issue--they lost their profit margin on the shipping markup.

At any rate, I'm still waiting for them to reverse the charge on my credit card. Sent another email today.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How much did it run you from 4wp? I might be getting a rack for fathers day and im pricing up all of my options... I'm really not too thrilled about the $200 shipping from ORU for either of the racks. Its $200 regardless if you get the 45504 one-piece or the 45505 two-piece (just one is truck freight and the other is UPS).

Also didn't see Defender on the 4wp website. Maybe i'll have to call them up...
I'll have to look at my invoice, but I didn't pay any shipping...

NOTE: I went to the 4WP brick & Mortar store, not an online order. Probably makes a difference.

Rack was just under $500, plus another ~$60 for the mounts I think?

No shipping, just tax, totaled out to like $580. Ordered on Monday, they had it in to pick up Wed or Thursday?

I looked at ordering from ORU, but with shipping it was actually much cheaper to get it locally.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-Parts-and-Accessories/Defender-Roof-Rack.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=82&t_pt=3426&t_pl=9795&t_pn=ORU45504

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, for something heavy or large, shipping could be more than sales tax.
Hopefully big stores like 4WP don't get priority over guys like me in the queue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts