Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, my name is keith and im from illinois. I picked up a 2006 jeep commander about 2 years ago. Recently the the engine blew leaving me with a rod through the block and lost hope. I finally found an engine for my 3.7 and swapped it in a matter of days with alot of spare time. I tried starting it yesterday and the only thing that happened was the horn woke up the neighborhood and threw two codes at me. Help would be appreciated. Also more info the engine i planted into it is now a 04 jeep liberty 3.7.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The codes were c2202 and u140e
So u2202 throws because during trying to start, the ECU did a VIN check, and it failed. You have to ensure all the parts you swap that would store its VIN match, and the easiest way to do that is to either keep as many parts as possible that originally belonged to your vehicle, or get any parts that would store the VIN modified to have YOUR VIN. I bought a 5.7 ECU to run my 6.1 engine when it's all together. I already sent it off and got it back with my VIN and vehicle mileage flashed over, among other things. I believe your dash gage board also stores VIN. I'm unsure about any other components.

For u140e, try here:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/187236-U140e-implausible-vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i took all the pumps and pulleys for it as well as alternator, starter. Ive already departed eith the old engine. Would redoing the timing chain and set-up help? Im stumped but where would i send my ecu?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So u2202 throws because during trying to start, the ECU did a VIN check, and it failed. You have to ensure all the parts you swap that would store its VIN match, and the easiest way to do that is to either keep as many parts as possible that originally belonged to your vehicle, or get any parts that would store the VIN modified to have YOUR VIN. I bought a 5.7 ECU to run my 6.1 engine when it's all together. I already sent it off and got it back with my VIN and vehicle mileage flashed over, among other things. I believe your dash gage board also stores VIN. I'm unsure about any other components.

For u140e, try here:
U140e-implausible vehicle

Read my message i put on my thread please

·
Registered
176 Posts
The '04 engine you swapped in used the old JTEC engine computer and your Commander uses the new NGC computer (the changeover was the '05 model year.)

The cam sprocket on the right side of the engine and the reluctor ring on the back end of the crankshaft need to match your Commander computer - and those in your new engine don't match. You either need to break down both engines and swap the rings or get a 3.7 from an '05 or later Chrysler vehicle (any block up to 2012 is the same - the external components are the differences.)

I did an engine swap in my '03 Liberty and put an '07 Dodge Dakota 3.7 into it - and had to put in a new cam sprocket and reluctor ring in the new engine to make it compatible with my '03 computer.

Full details are in this thread: Engine Swap Overview

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The '04 engine you swapped in used the old JTEC engine computer and your Commander uses the new NGC computer (the changeover was the '05 model year.)

The cam sprocket on the right side of the engine and the reluctor ring on the back end of the crankshaft need to match your Commander computer - and those in your new engine don't match. You either need to break down both engines and swap the rings or get a 3.7 from an '05 or later Chrysler vehicle (any block up to 2012 is the same - the external components are the differences.)

I did an engine swap in my '03 Liberty and put an '07 Dodge Dakota 3.7 into it - and had to put in a new cam sprocket and reluctor ring in the new engine to make it compatible with my '03 computer.

Bob
Hey when you mean right side from where are you viewing it at?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey when you mean right side from where are you viewing it at?
From inside the cabin. I hesitate to say 'driver' or 'passenger' since members from other countries that have right-hand drive vehicles frequent the Jeep forums.

So in the States, I'm talking about the passenger side. :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Bob
Hey Bob, so if i get the cam sprocket would it just be better if i got a whole new timing chain set up to replace the whole front end?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Read my message i put on my thread please
Sorry Commando, Sounds like bob REALLY knows what he's talking about. Listen to him over me. I have a little more knowledge on the 5.7/6.1 and some in the 4.7, but not so much the 3.7.

But you can contact my tuner (just search AJ Hemi Tuner in Google) out of New York, and he might be able to answer any questions or help you out. He might even be able to tune your ECU to work with the non-matching parts or possibly give you guidance on using the ECU that goes with the engine along with a flashed VIN, etc. It could save the hassle of breaking into the engine, figuratively of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Commando, Sounds like bob REALLY knows what he's talking about. Listen to him over me. I have a little more knowledge on the 5.7/6.1 and some in the 4.7, but not so much the 3.7.

But you can contact my tuner (just search AJ Hemi Tuner in Google) out of New York, and he might be able to answer any questions or help you out. He might even be able to tune your ECU to work with the non-matching parts or possibly give you guidance on using the ECU that goes with the engine along with a flashed VIN, etc. It could save the hassle of breaking into the engine, figuratively of course.

Thank you skull hunter I will definitely check that out!:wink3:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Bob, so if i get the cam sprocket would it just be better if i got a whole new timing chain set up to replace the whole front end?

Sorry for the delay in my reply - been traveling...

Unless the timing chain is obviously bad I'd suggest you keep the chains that are in the engine now. They typically don't go bad though the guides will sometimes separate from the metal brackets they're attached to. The timing system is designed to be a lifetime component and they generally are.

By the way, for those reading through this thread who have the 4.7, the issues are the exact same. The 3.7 is literally just the 4.7 with two cylinders lopped off. If swapping a new 4.7 into an XK or other Jeep just make sure the engine is either of the same model year or swap out the cam sprocket and crankshaft reluctor ring to match it to your ECU.

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Sorry for the delay in my reply - been traveling...

Unless the timing chain is obviously bad I'd suggest you keep the chains that are in the engine now. They typically don't go bad though the guides will sometimes separate from the metal brackets they're attached to. The timing system is designed to be a lifetime component and they generally are.

By the way, for those reading through this thread who have the 4.7, the issues are the exact same. The 3.7 is literally just the 4.7 with two cylinders lopped off. If swapping a new 4.7 into an XK or other Jeep just make sure the engine is either of the same model year or swap out the cam sprocket and crankshaft reluctor ring to match it to your ECU.

Bob
So bob after i swap these parts just those two everything after its together again, this should run perfectly? And i saw you swapped a newer motor in it. I should have done the same but the engine i got was a 02 and the only local engine. You really lucked out on that one. But also i did get that reluctor ring on engine guru and the cam sprocket on ebay. I have to say you are right its not a hard job its just time consuming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So to everyone swapping between 06 and 04 its the same internals for whom is watching this thread. It was a time consuming thing on my behalf to help others with this problem

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Swapping

I'm not swapping but all good information is good information to have. If it was easy everyone would do it, Right?

Swanny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah so i just replaced the cam sensor and i was doing research and i thinkg the intake manifold and throttle body sensors are different

1 - 20 of 21 Posts