Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my 2nd Commander. 2010 Limited. It only came with one key from dealer. I bought a new key off eBay. Information online tells me I have to have the dealer cut the metal key as well as have them program the electronics to work with my car. Price of $100. Is there anyway around this? $100 seems like a lot. Does anyone know if I can do it myself or any other way to get it programed? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You need two good keys to program it yourself, I bought a key from a locksmith and they were able to program it for total cost $200. It was like $150 for the key. I have an 06 which may be different than yours.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Chrysler removed the feature to make your own key copies in the 2010 model year. I have a 2010, the O.M. says so, I've tried and it won't work.

The FOBIK key, in your pic, is different than the Transponder Key in earlier Commanders. The FOBIK works off an RFID chip and it can NOT be cloned.

Most key copy places can NOT program a FOBIK key, the few locksmiths that can do it, have to get the special equipment through an arrangement that forces them to pay so much, they would have charge you more than the Dealer. Sorry, that is likely your best option. You could shop Dealerships, I was able to find one that did it for me for $75 and he did all the keys I had, NOT just one. So I loaded up on ebay FOBIK's and POD keys, got them all programmed for one fee and put all the spares in a safe spot.

POD Key

There is a max number of keys that can be programmed to the vehicle in its entire life, the keys lost by previous owners count against that total. Its like 7 or 8 keys, you lose more than that, you're SOL. Although I think it can be fixed its really expensive.

I'm sure you're cursing about now. I also wrote a nasty letter to Chrysler Customer Service about this FOBIK key system.

Oh, the removal of the self programming feature. Seems some dealers had employees running scams, using the feature to produce undocumented keys with cheap ebay keys, that they sold to thieves with the registration info. So after the feature was removed, the only way to make a key copy will be documented with Corporate HQ. Yea, so the Dealer's screw up and Chrysler punishes the owners and rewards the Dealers. :ugh2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts