Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost key

Anyone ever had to replace a key? My wife lost hers and a locksmith said it'd be around $200 to get a new one because of the electronics. He made her a manual one, but I've heard that you'll lose a lot of settings on the vehicle if you use a manual key instead of the computerized one.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Re: Lost key

That and the truck won't start since there isn't a transponder in the manual key. $200 is why my spare key is in my safe.

·
Super Moderator
14,960 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

JamesF250 said:
Anyone ever had to replace a key? My wife lost hers and a locksmith said it'd be around $200 to get a new one because of the electronics. He made her a manual one, but I've heard that you'll lose a lot of settings on the vehicle if you use a manual key instead of the computerized one.
Manual keys are only good for opening the door (which if you locked with the keyless remote will promptly cause the security system to go off) and can not be used to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

When I bought mine the dealer could not find the second key and had to order one for me. They told me the blank was $250 then you have to have it cut and programmed for your XK. So $200 sounds like a good price

·
Registered
476 Posts

Creek said:
When I bought mine the dealer could not find the second key and had to order one for me. They told me the blank was $250 then you have to have it cut and programmed for your XK. So $200 sounds like a good price
I had a spare made shortly after purchasing my XK. $225.00 - This one stays in a safe. The originals are in use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ouch - next time I'll negotiate for extra spare keys. Or make my wife stay out of the ball pit at the kids play place, which is where they are floating around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lost key

I bought a key on eBay that I was able to program via the procedure in the manual. The key does NOT have the door Lock/Unlock buttons, but it does open the door and run the engine.

I bought this key strictly as a backup key. The first one that I received didn't accept the program instructions, so the eBay guy sent me another one that did work.

To program a new key, it is necessary to have 2 working keys. So, if you lose one of the originals, I guess you will have to pay the piper. Below is an eBay link for a replacement factory Jeep key that presently is at $58 and counting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-07-Jeep-Grd-Cherokee-Commander-Key-Remote_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQihZ004QQitemZ140149327455QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD10V

·
Registered
39 Posts

I purchased a factory spare key from
https://www.streetkeys.com/
Had it cut by a locksmith and programmed it myself via the instructions that came with the key. But you do have to have two working keys to program the third yourself.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Matt,

I looked at the Street Keys website. Seems they offer three differant keys for the Commander, which one did you get? Was it complicated to program? Seems like the one for $19.00 would make a great valet key... Thanks, good info.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Nitro Express said:
Matt,

I looked at the Street Keys website. Seems they offer three differant keys for the Commander, which one did you get? Was it complicated to program? Seems like the one for $19.00 would make a great valet key... Thanks, good info.
The key that looks like the OEM is the one I got.

4 buttons. First, have it cut by a dependable, locksmith.
I wouldn't trust the local hardware store kid to cut a $100 key.
If you have the two original keys you can program it yourself in less than one minute.
Quick programming:
Put one original key in ignition turn to on BUT DO NOT START. Watch little lighning bolt flashes on dash, then it stops flashing..you hear a chime.
remove that key
Insert second original key repeat above.
Insert new key, turn to ON but NOT START and wait until lighning bolt stops flashing you'll hear a chime..DONE
Looks, feels, and operates all the features exactly like an original key.

·
Super Moderator
14,960 Posts

Mat, you can also program and use the other 2 keys they show for the Commander but you won't have the remote features.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am going through a similar experince....

I have the chip - programmed and the whole key fob. The dealer I purchased from gave it to me, and I had it programmed to my truck.

The key was already "keyed". Does anyone know if I can just replace the metal "key" part to be rekeyed? Can the chip be taken out into another key fob - that doesn't cost $130!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
robochick84 said:
I am going through a similar experince....

I have the chip - programmed and the whole key fob. The dealer I purchased from gave it to me, and I had it programmed to my truck.

The key was already "keyed". Does anyone know if I can just replace the metal "key" part to be rekeyed? Can the chip be taken out into another key fob - that doesn't cost $130!!!

Thanks
Yes, you can remove the little circuit board and place it in another key but I don't know if you can buy just the blank key with the backing.

Keys that have been programmed to the cars wireless module with the secret PIN number from one car will not take on a second PIN number from another car. The wireless module will store multiple keys but the keys can only be programmed once. I don't know if they will work just for unlocking or locking doors.

If someones looking for just a FOB without a key, you can try looking into the ones used in Police cars. Police cars don't use chipped keys so they come with just the FOB part to place on the key ring for unlocking and locking doors.

·
Super Moderator
14,960 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the information. I had found the later one this morning. I think that will be the winner. I am going to see how to pop open the other one tonight to make sure I can get the chip out.

Why would anyone want 11 pre-cut keys??????????

Anyone who has went through this process before, should the key be cut then taken to the dealer for programming? I am assuming that the dealer can cut it but would cost $$$$$$. What kind of process did you do when getting the new key, cut, and programmed.

Much thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I had my key cut first, still have not programed it. Need to find the instructions again and just go outside and do it.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts