Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed out with the boys tomorrow for some light trails up behind Pikes Peak - and I'm wondering what you guys air down to when you go out. I've got 265/70's on the XK - thanks ahead of time and I'll post pictures upon our return.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
there is some debate about the air down. I know alot of people do. One benefit is that on sandy or soft soil (not mud) aired down tires provide a larger footprint and better traction. This is probaby the best use for airing down. Others like to air down on rocks and mountain terrain. This I feel is more harm than good. The only potential benefit is to give you a better ability to grab onto really large obsticles but this is only true for things that a commander will not be attempting (hardcore rock crawling). I feel that airing down for rocky terrain only harms you in that you loose ground clearance. I know you may only loose about 1/2" at most but every little bit helps. I do not like to air down when on the rocks.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The AZ group has been airing down to 25lbs.

·
2,248 Posts
The other reason to air down is that the ride is so much better when you are hitting bumps and slowly crawling over rocks. With the tires at full pressure it is more like bouncing over obstacles.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight - good points to consider both directions, I'm going to a new trail so I think I'll just wait to see what the terrain is like, I'll let you know. I know I would prefer a smoother ride, not sure the boys, 4 and 6, would agree - they like to bounce around!

·
Registered
258 Posts
so...when you guys do air down...what do you use to refill? Or do some of you drive to the nearest station and air back up when done trailing.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
For the Rockies, I always stayed at regular pressure. Sure, its a little rougher, but I like to feel what I going over to get a better sense of the terrain.

As far as refill, whenever I've been out with people who air-down, someone has always had on-board air.

·
Registered
258 Posts
on-board air? I' guessing a compressor that plugs into a lighter or something.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I always go down to 25. Also, if you're going over alot of rocks, airing down lowers your chance of getting a tire puncture. The rubber gives around the rock. Good luck and have fun out there. Take pics.

I have a portable air compressor that I use to fill back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts