Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked me up a super stock jeep commander. Bench 2nd row, no sun roofs, no tow hitch, pretty bare bones. It's the V6 3.7 with the quadra tec-1 4x4(AWD? because Traction control?) Looking to do a lot to it being that it only has 77K miles, not too shabby for an 07. It's missing floor mats and I've added a few other things to the shopping list. REALLY looking for replies on where to find good stuff for the cheap such as:

1.) Floor mats, Preferably all 3 (Front, rear, and trunk.)
2.) Tow hitch (Class 3, I looked up videos of the 4 bolts kind), maybe a follow up link to wiring the brakes to a hitch plug in. I may tow a trailer for jet skis down the line.
3.) Performance Chip (I was looking to get the hypertech 2.0, any first hand experience or shared preference would be nice / other suggested programmers?)
4.) After market wheels. My current tread is basically new so this will be sat on for a while, but the rims are all scratched up and stock. Not looking to off road. The Florida weather calls for good rain tires and that's basically it. However a lift kit is Very tempting and would look WAY more suiting to off road tires...

I've got a nice budget set aside for all this but just want input and people to share their experience...

Thank you,
LD

·
Registered
309 Posts
your budget will never be enough.... welcome to owning a Jeep product :) Otherwise known as a Bankruptcy starter kit.

I would google images of Jeep Commanders and print out things you like. Actually cut stuff out and build your Commander with pictures is one technique.

Wheels can be resurfaced/chromed/de-chromed/repainted... So look at anything that catches your eyes. I love getting stuff super cheap and nothing pretty is cheap.

You can buy a basic 2" lift for about $200 that will let you run a slightly bigger tire and give a nice lifted look really.

I would focus on spending some cash to get the transmission checked out and the fluid changed first off, do all the maintenance stuff no one ever really does until it is too late... Change the differential fluid.
Lower control arms have crappy rubber joints that many of us have had to switch out, so check those.

checking all that stuff will make lifting and modifying the Commander a much happier experience.

All the programmers work... some lean towards the Flashpack system or others go with Diablo brand stuff... Both work fine.

Before you buy anything, check the for sale forum and post what you are willing to buy and someone might have what you want. If I was not deployed I could send you extra lifting spacers I have lying around my garage. The Jeep community has folks with garages full of used stuff they do not use anymore because our Jeep addiction rivals crack cocaine when it comes to bigger lifts.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just picked me up a super stock jeep commander. Bench 2nd row, no sun roofs, no tow hitch, pretty bare bones. It's the V6 3.7 with the quadra tec-1 4x4(AWD? because Traction control?) Looking to do a lot to it being that it only has 77K miles, not too shabby for an 07. It's missing floor mats and I've added a few other things to the shopping list. REALLY looking for replies on where to find good stuff for the cheap such as:

1.) Floor mats, Preferably all 3 (Front, rear, and trunk.)

2.) Tow hitch (Class 3, I looked up videos of the 4 bolts kind), maybe a follow up link to wiring the brakes to a hitch plug in. I may tow a trailer for jet skis down the line.

3.) Performance Chip (I was looking to get the hypertech 2.0, any first hand experience or shared preference would be nice / other suggested programmers?)

4.) After market wheels. My current tread is basically new so this will be sat on for a while, but the rims are all scratched up and stock. Not looking to off road. The Florida weather calls for good rain tires and that's basically it. However a lift kit is Very tempting and would look WAY more suiting to off road tires...

I've got a nice budget set aside for all this but just want input and people to share their experience...

Thank you,

LD

Check out etrailer for a nice aftermarket hitch that is custom got for the commander. Real simple to install, no cutting, wires and all had it set up in 15 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would focus on spending some cash to get the transmission checked out and the fluid changed first off, do all the maintenance stuff no one ever really does until it is too late... Change the differential fluid.
Lower control arms have crappy rubber joints that many of us have had to switch out, so check those.

Dave
About time to get an oil change for me already. I'll have tranny, diff and oil all fluids changed. Thanks for the service tip. Also over the past 2k miles I've put on it I've heard this squeeking sound. it typically happens going over small bumps or slight bumpy road, but it's inconsistent some days it does it, one keys trip it does it the whole way to, but no back.... Thoughts? I could shoot a video and link it to youtube to maybe help demonstrate what I'm experiencing. Any feedback is always great.

P.S. To the whole community here. Just wow, great forum and seeing the other posts really have helped me pick and shape out my christmas list. Looking forward to everything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Could be a couple of things.

First see what happened after the full lube job on all joints. a couple of places will make a 'squeak' sound. If it sounds like a chirping bird.... seriously... that is a sound that is commonly heard from a failing u-joint on one of your drive shafts. They go bad around 100k miles anyways if never maintained.

U-joints need to be replaced if your going to lift and you cannot remember if they have ever been serviced. It is just a smart thing to do and usually will not cost an arm or a leg. The joint itself is less than $15 from auto zone (or wherever) and if you are mechanically inclined you can do it in a day. I usually pay the $50 to $90 to have a tranny shop do it for me... I am getting old.

Bushings will make odd noises when they are failing. Once you start putting new grease in places that have not seen grease in years you will hear all the noises that were being masked by the other noises you are now curing from the truck.

Some would say why go through all the trouble of fixing the service items that may get changed out when you buy a lift kit... Because we all say we are going to lift it, but the wallet usually says not right now.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts