Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanna hear what you think....

One of the dealerships out be me was included in that list who had their license to sell revoked by Chrysler and a deadline of 6/9/2009 to move any inventory. (Since Chrysler is protected in BK court, they don't have to take an inventory back!)

Anyhow, they have a 2008 Jeep Commander Limited 4x4 v8 4.7L w/ Nav system - Leather Interior that has the orginal sticke fact sheet on it of $42,995.00 (only has 87 miles on it)
They have come all the way down to $29,995 as of last night in an offer to me. Thing is, taxes + license takes it to an "out the door" cost of about $32K. Those same cars are going at the auctions for about $23k-$25K (and I am not sure, but believe you don't pat taxes at the auction houses...especially if you are an out of state buyer)

I know if the dealership can;t sel by 9pm tonight, they have to unload to another dealership....but not sure at what price that would be....so not sure how low they truley will go.

I have a rep at a closed Chrsyler GM only auction today, and there are 3 Commanders on the blocks....one was a 07' fully loaded 4x4 HEMI Nav, ect.. with 17K miles that just went for $21.1K...so I know there are deals to be had.

The question is, do I take my chances and hold out for another auction where I know I can get them $4K cheaper (but then chance having to WAIT until the exact ext/int color combo that I want comes along w/ under 15K miles) or do I pull the trigger at $29,995.00? (which remember, is $32K after taxes+lic). As you all know, I really like the look and feel of the Commander, but the resale value has just plumitted.....

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Mine listed for $47,600 and I purchased it for under $30,000 two years ago. There are deals out there. If you like this deal then buy the Commander, but they ARE NOT making an offer that you CANNOT get anyplace else.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree also. I can be a penny pincher at times so I would probably keep looking around. And you could always try to find one for 22k and spend the 10k you saved on modifications.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I don't know what state your from but in Michigan, you would have to pay the sales tax when you registered the vehicle unless you bought it out-of-state AND paid their sales tax. Dealers at auctions don't pay sales tax but you do.

We pay 6% so at $30,000 that's 1800 for sales tax and the rest is for registration and plates. So those figures make sense. A $25,000 vehicle at auction is still going to cost you about $1500 for sales tax and $200 registration/plates.

It's up to you. The price seems good on the brand new one but the deals are good on the used ones too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas!! 49er, man I wish I knew where you got yours and where that deal can still be had...in fact, you seem to have the EXACT model I am looking for! (I want the Mineral Grey exterior).

I live in AZ, so my state sales tax was 8.25%
ALso, we just bought my wife's car from a place in WI and drove it back to AZ. We were able to register it and get plates w.out having to show proof sales tax was paid in state of origin (which it wasn't and was a private sale).

Either way, I don't mind paying tax and license if I am getting it for the $25k range...
I just thought $29,995 + tax and license no longer made it a STEAL. (It also was the 4.7L V8 and NOT the Hemi...I want the HEMI)

I hold out for the black or mineral grey - HEMI v8 - 4x4 - 2008 - leather/nav - backup cam - under 20K miles and try my luck at the auctions and just be patient....Like cqb said, if I can grab that exact model that was a repo or something from the auctions for lets say $23K-$25k...then I can throw $3500 for a new set of black rimms or something and a few other modifications like a mesh chrome grille! :)

If you fellas know of any solid deals like that out there, let me know...I don't mind flying out of state or paying to have it transported to AZ if it's the car I want and a steal :)

email me at: [email protected] if ya do!

FALC

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Where in AZ?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
:rofl:His email says leftcoast, so he must have some ocean front property in Arizona.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live just outside of Phoenix...
The dealership offering that deal was in Mesa, AZ. Found out from the sales guy they had to let it go this morning and sold it to some couple for $30,466.00 (little did they know they could have gotten another $500 off!) :)

Again though, if there is a great deal out there, I don;t mind traveling to purchase it and bring it back (especially if it's in So.Cal or Las Vegas, which I travel to all the time anyhow for business)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah man, leftcoastcondos is simpmy a business I own to rent out high rise condos I purchased in Vegas and San Diego :)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I purchased mine from Avondale Jeep, my salesman is no longer there but the price was good. They are having a sale this weekend:

Dear Jonathan,

I just wanted to give you a heads up on our Huge Inventory Reduction Sale this weekend. Great Factory and Dealer Incentives coupled with a great selection of new and used vehicles make this a great time to buy.

We should be very busy Saturday afternoon, but if you will give me a call today, we can set up an appointment for Friday or Saturday morning so I can spend more time with you. This will also give you the opportunity to view our entire inventory before the sale.

I look forward to hearing from you.

David M Brueck
Internet Director
623-298-1155

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well... I'm doubting (but not all that much) my weekend purchase of an '08 Overland for $31.8K. 6,700 miles with everything but HID and Sirius TV. It was a program (demo car; read the GM's wife's car).

I love it. I thought I got a good deal for everything on it. Ironically, the only thing I regret is not getting the '09. Not for the increased Hemi, but for the new RER radio that accepts the iPod interface. To each his own huh?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Fellas, pulled the string on another deal!! Offically own a Commander now :)

Update on my last thread from a few days ago.....

As you know, I elected not to pull the trigger on that 08' Commander Limited 4.7L 4x4 they put at $29,995 cux "Out the Door" was $33,875.00

Thanks for the advice 49er, as i searched EVERY internet possible for the past 72 hours and found an even better deal on the HEMI version! :)

Out the door cost of $29,204.28 for a 2008 Jeep Commander Limited (only 387 miles on it)- 5.7L V8 Hemi - 4x4 QII - Navigation - Back Up Cam - DVD - Chrome Package - Leather Interior - Tow Package - all the bells and whistles basically and only option left off original package was remote start....
MSRP: 43,945.00 My out the door final cost payed in cash was: $29,204.28

I do have to pay an addittional $650 to ship it from FL to me out here in AZ, but still a sub $30K when you factor in EVERYTHING.

Now I just need to take the money I saved and spring for a new set of 20" Black and Chrome American Racer Black Burn Rims

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/Burn+(Black).bwt

Anyone here got any connections for those?
(I'm also assuming I will need new tires or something to fit the bigger rim? the stock on the one I bought was 17.5")

I'm gonna need you guys helps w/ some good mods now!!!

FALC

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, congratulations! Glad to have you a part of the xk family! Check out the link for the discount tire rep here...may find some good discounts there!

And post those pics as soon as you get it!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Merge.....

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
as i searched EVERY internet possible
Crap! And here I've been only searching the ONE internet...

Sorry, now that you are an official XK owner, you are subject to all the rights, privileges and hazing that it entails.

Welcome to the group!

Now, out of curiosity, are you a paved road Commander, or do you plan on getting dirty?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! I am gonna be a 95% paved commander w/ the occassional camping trip up to Montana or Sedona where some not so heavy duty off-roading will come into play. I also will occasionally be pulling a toy hauler to the sand dunes near Yuma w/ the Jeep....but honestly, 95% of my Commander use will be on pavement driving to my hospitals or Physician visits for work (I do Medical sales and am a feild sales grunt!)
But I didn't mind spending the extra $$$ for that 4x4 and HEMI for the 5% where I go get to dirty it up a tad :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a solid deal :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Thanks for the advice 49er, as i searched EVERY internet possible for the past 72 hours and found an even better deal on the HEMI version! :)
You are most welcome, now lets get together and hit some trails!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts