Jeep Commander Forum banner

Push Button Start

22K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  PolarBZ 
#1 ·
I did a search for push button start in our commanders and found nothing. Anyone knows someone who has done this. I installed one in my 04 Hemi Ram and loved it. Its the same button that is in the SRT-10 truck. Very easy 2 wire hookup and would like to install it in my Commander. I remember in the Ram's the yellow ign wire that ran down the steering column and another to the cig pink wire I think and that was it you had push button start. This would be a GREAT MOD to do.

#2 ·
What about the Sentry key?

#3 ·
HEMI Commander. said:
I did a search for push button start in our commanders and found nothing. Anyone knows someone who has done this. I installed one in my 04 Hemi Ram and loved it. Its the same button that is in the SRT-10 truck. Very easy 2 wire hookup and would like to install it in my Commander. I remember in the Ram's the yellow ign wire that ran down the steering column and another to the cig pink wire I think and that was it you had push button start. This would be a GREAT MOD to do.
I would think a thief would love it too??
Isn't there circuitry in the key fob that would make this hard to do?
The 08 use an electric fob instead of a traditional metal key.
You still have to insert it in the slot on the dash. It is sort of like the fob we use on our VW.

#4 ·
You have to insert the key in to the ignition and turn it to acc's in order for the push button to work. So no key no start. This is in the SRT10's and Im sure the Challenger should get it also.

#5 ·
HEMI Commander. said:
You have to insert the key in to the ignition and turn it to acc's in order for the push button to work. So no key no start. This is in the SRT10's and Im sure the Challenger should get it also.

???

If you have to put the key in the ignition anyway...whats the point of pushing a button to start the truck.....doesn't make sense to me...at all.....

#6 ·
pnstps said:
???

If you have to put the key in the ignition anyway...whats the point of pushing a button to start the truck.....doesn't make sense to me...at all.....

Its like having a viper or a Porsche or Lambo which they all come with Push button start. You dont see them saying it doesnt make sense because they use it. Its a cool feature to have and trust me your friends will think it cool as hell. I guess if you dont like modding your commander then that's cool for you but not for me I like modding that hell out of what ever I have.

#7 ·
It just doesn't make sense to have to put the key in and then push the button. If your going to have push button start it should be just a button and no key.

#8 · (Edited)
HEMI Commander. said:
Its like having a viper or a Porsche or Lambo which they all come with Push button start. You dont see them saying it doesnt make sense because they use it. Its a cool feature to have and trust me your friends will think it cool as hell. I guess if you dont like modding your commander then that's cool for you but not for me I like modding that hell out of what ever I have.
But its a Jeep...not a Lambo, Porsche, or Viper, its an SUV.......but hey, whatever floats your boat, seems like a big waste of money (not to mention impractical) to put your key in, and actually turn it halfway, then push a button to start your engine....but again....its your truck......whatever ya like.............

#9 ·
Hey pnstps, I did post this post to see if anyone has done this to their jeep and not to try to convince you to install it or why to put it into your jeep, so again if anyone knows someone who has done this so I can get a since of whats involved, because I like to put the key into the ignition and push start my engine because again its a very cool mod.

#10 ·
HEMI Commander. said:
Hey pnstps, I did post this post to see if anyone has done this to their jeep and not to try to convince you to install it or why to put it into your jeep, so again if anyone knows someone who has done this so I can get a since of whats involved, because I like to put the key into the ignition and push start my engine because again its a very cool mod.
I digress...........

#11 ·
#12 ·
I saw some of these at pep boys. They had shifter knobs with the push button starters. I thought this would be cool too. Some of them are lit, the one I liked had a flip up button. But I came back to I still had to put the key in the slot and turn it......I still like it though. I may do it anyway.....

#14 ·
jeep5253 said:
Here's an article on push-button start--no key insertion required.
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/articles/106651/article.html

Thats how I thought it worked on all the exotic cars including Lexus and maybe cadillac. You dont have to insert the key. They have a sort of RFID that senses the key in your pocket and starts the car when you press the button. Get remote start if you want to start your car then put the key in and turn it to drive it. Thats how remote start works and the button isnt stuck to your dash...

#15 ·
Command This. said:
Thats how I thought it worked on all the exotic cars including Lexus and maybe cadillac. You dont have to insert the key. They have a sort of RFID that senses the key in your pocket and starts the car when you press the button. Get remote start if you want to start your car then put the key in and turn it to drive it. Thats how remote start works and the button isnt stuck to your dash...
Exactly!!!

#16 · (Edited)
HEMI Commander. said:
Its a cool feature to have and trust me your friends will think it cool as hell.
None of my friends would be impressed with it if you have to put a key in first. They are, however, impressed with my remote start.

#17 ·
My folks have a Prius, the key stays in thier pocket when they get in the car, because of proxcimitry they just push a button to start the car. My Commander starts with a button (remote start) but I still insert & turn the key to keep it from shuting off (security feature).

#18 ·
Yes this article states correct but thats a very expensive system to do and Im simpiliy looking for the look and at times use it. I also have the remote start but to have it in your commanders for the look would be very cool. Thats all Im trying to say and do. Didnt want to get into a rut with everyone about it. Its a mod and that's what it is. Everyone does sometype of mod to their commanders and why for the coolness of it and look or no one would do it.

#20 ·
hey cico7 I was also thinking of getting a chrome set of front tow hooks. Any idea and price. thanks

#22 ·
#24 ·
Yes I know but no one had any info on the push start so I guess I would move on to the next mod for now and that would be the chrome hooks. I seen those for the 110 which isnt to bad. I got a great friend who works for dodge and gets me what ever I want at cost. SO we will see. K, back to dinner wife is calling. later

#25 ·
I already post a reply.

#26 ·
Hemi - did you get your hooks yet? Installed mine today. Not too bad....but taking the front facia off is tricky. I got away without drilling out the rivets. But in retro spect, I should have. Get the rivets and take the time to do it. There are probably pop in riverts you can get at an auto supply store.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.