Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several threads on this but I never have seen where anyone as said that they have actually swapped out their gears. So I have a few questions.

Has anyone done it?

Where did you find them?

How much did it cost?

Did you do the work yourself? If so, how difficult is it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
There have been several threads on this but I never have seen where anyone as said that they have actually swapped out their gears. So I have a few questions.

Has anyone done it?

Where did you find them?

How much did it cost?

Did you do the work yourself? If so, how difficult is it?

Thanks!
No one on the forum with a 3.7 liter has swapped out their 3.07's for 3.73's. There are a few places you could get them from. You could either purchase them right from the dealer, online or at a local junk yard that happens to have a totaled Commander with 3.73 gears..

The dealer will obviously be a bit more expensive. However if you go online you can get them from www.makeitjeepparts.com and probablly save a little money. Good luck finding a junk yard with a commander since it is a newer vehicle. I have looked and found nothing in my area.

Just remember you cant just purchase the ring and pinion. You also need a master overhaul kit.

Cost per axle will mostlikely be approx. $400 give or take. Thats including the ring and pinion and overhaul kit. That does not include installation. If you know someone who knows how to properly install gears you can save yourself a lot of money. If you live near me I can get them installed for you for free.

It isnt difficult for someone to install them if they know what they are doing. Its just time consuming.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Something I forgot to mention. If you take your Commander to a reputable shop to get the gears installed you can pay anywhere from $200-$500 per axle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. It gives me something to plan for. Just what is in the master overhaul kit?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks for the input. It gives me something to plan for. Just what is in the master overhaul kit?
New carrier bearings and races, pinion bearings and races, pinion seal, complete shims kit, ring gear bolts, pinion nut .....etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts