Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.... It has been a while since I have been active on the forum. I still have the Jeep XK, I don't wheel as much anymore. Now its just been my daily driver. This past weekend I was able to get the jeep out for a little adventure, nothing crazy. Something odd I noticed with the QD II that I did not have in the past. I was going over some railroad ties and i noticed the my front diff was not transferring power between the front wheels. It was plain as mud the driver front tire had traction, but it would never turn. You could tell the rear diff was transferring power between the rear wheels and only the front passenger side tire would spin. With no traction I couldn't go anywhere. I've watched alot of youtube videos where other people would say the QD II was a bunch of snake oil and didn't work as advertised but in the past I have seen it work on my vehicle, so I was stumped why it wouldn't work. The only way I could really do anything was if I put it in 4low.

Any suggestions as I'm lost on where I should start.

Thanks,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has it happened more than just this one occurence?

Could just be gremlins in the electrical? Been through many on my rig for sure.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was just this one day. But now that I know it happened I'm going to mess with it more and see if it keeps doing it. It will be a few days before I can go back out and try, but I will repost once I test it a few more times.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a lot of electrical problems with my Jeep. I only had 3 electrical problems that made me scratch my head. 1 was the multi switch for your head lights, 2 ignition switch would randomly cause all the lights on the dash to go crazy and third was I put LED bulbs in for my brake lights and after a few months one corroded enough to cause random service 4wd message.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Yes it was just this one day. But now that I know it happened I'm going to mess with it more and see if it keeps doing it. It will be a few days before I can go back out and try, but I will repost once I test it a few more times.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a lot of electrical problems with my Jeep. I only had 3 electrical problems that made me scratch my head. 1 was the multi switch for your head lights, 2 ignition switch would randomly cause all the lights on the dash to go crazy and third was I put LED bulbs in for my brake lights and after a few months one corroded enough to cause random service 4wd message.
@Gulf550;

Maybe these threads might help you:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/14195-how-quadra-drive-ii-elsd-diff-works-animated-video.html

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/6-picture-media-post/11237-jeep-commander-quadra-drive-ii-testing.html

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/53066-quadra-dive-ii-how-use-4-wheel-drive.html

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I appreciate it . I had to fix one of my RCV CV axles so I'm waiting on a band to come for the boot. I will definitely be testing it out and see what it does. Nice thing is, I have a spare front differential in the garage. I purchased a used one 5 years ago or so and rebuilt it for fun so I have spare parts if needed :)

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate it . I had to fix one of my RCV CV axles so I'm waiting on a band to come for the boot. I will definitely be testing it out and see what it does. Nice thing is, I have a spare front differential in the garage. I purchased a used one 5 years ago or so and rebuilt it for fun so I have spare parts if needed :)
Very good, let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts