Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just wondering how the QD II does up north in about a foot of snow and all the winter weather variants. I've read threads about sand and trails....

How is the ESP there...turn it off? We'll be moving up to NH in the spring.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I drove my Commander (QD II, 5.7L, Wrangler SilentArmor tires) in snow and slush up in Flagstaff last winter. It handled like a dream. I never had it slide one bit and it always went exactly the direction which I pointed it. Granted, with the Hemi you have to have half a brain and not mash on the gas when it's slippery out... but with normal sane driving it handles beautifully.

I wouldn't turn off the ESP in snow unless you find yourself stuck somewhere.

If you are running the stock Fortera's you should consider changing out your tires for something that has a bit more grip. Either the Wrangler SilentArmor's or the Fortera TripleTred's are going to be the best Goodyear tire for snow. The SilentArmor's are the best Goodyear tire for all surfaces on-road and off. I am sure other manufacturers make a good all surface tire too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the stock factory Fortera's on.

Do you have a separate set of rims with the other rubber on them? I would think trading out tires each year would wear out the lip of the inner ring of the tire.

·
Registered
473 Posts
we have QT1 with stock tires and couldn't spin them last year in about a foot of snow. i would imagine the QDII would do at least as good, probably better.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hemi-Overland said:
I have the stock factory Fortera's on.

Do you have a separate set of rims with the other rubber on them? I would think trading out tires each year would wear out the lip of the inner ring of the tire.
No, I simply replaced the Fortera's with Wrangler SilentArmors (actually had the dealer do it as soon as the Jeep was unloaded off the transport so I never even saw it with Fortera's.)

The SilentArmors are a great tire, with good dry, wet, snow, and off-road performance. I run them year round on both my Commander and my Cherokee.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Went through about 14" of snow back in April in Northern Minnesota. When I left the hotel in the morning it had just started to snow and by the time I was down to Lake Superior, there was 14" on the ground. The Jeep handled great. I have the stock Fortera's on, and I felt that they did fine for stock tires. When they are worn out, I plan to put a more aggresive tread on them, but they are fine for now.

Here's a pic:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
48 Posts
hemi lover said:
Went through about 14" of snow back in April in Northern Minnesota. When I left the hotel in the morning it had just started to snow and by the time I was down to Lake Superior, there was 14" on the ground. The Jeep handled great. I have the stock Fortera's on, and I felt that they did fine for stock tires. When they are worn out, I plan to put a more aggresive tread on them, but they are fine for now.

Here's a pic:

Agreed we had 15" last year here in Oklahoma (YES I said Oklahoma! :eek: ) both the Commander Limited and the Grand Cherokee Overland both with QDII handeled great with the stock tires.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can only imagine how good QT2 would be in the snow. I concur I couldn't spin a tire with stock tires and QT1. One word of advice for those first-timers 4x4 in the snow, be careful when stopping (braking), no QT version will help you there. The truck brakes pretty good, but it can still slip, so keep your distance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Since I don't do trails much anymore thats pretty much the only fun I get to have in the Commander. It definitely makes winter that much more fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts