Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Sears today to have my differentials serviced prior to an extended trip(2K-3K) next week. I took along 2 bottles of the MOPAR friction inhibator and thought all was good. When the car was finished the bill was for $55 (appoximately) which sounded too low. I ask if they did both front and rear unit answer was no only the rear. My next question was did they use both bottles of the inhibator.. answer yes. So they told me they would redo the rear and do the front. I ask about the friction inhibator which I can only find at the dealer and they said the gear oil they use already has it in it. I ask for a spec sheet and here what it said
Gear-Rite Premium
Gear oil 85W-140 Permium multipurpose formula, next generation performace, Helps improve resistance to corrosion and scoring
Gear-Rite Premium gear oil is a premium formula consisting of highly refined base stocks compounded with extreme pressure anti-ware, limited slip, corrosion inhibitor, rust preventative and foam suppressant additives.

Performace spec: For use in all domestic rear axels and manual transmissions, and all heavy duty truck rear axels
Also for use when
API MT-1, GL-5 GL-4, GL3 oils are recommended
MIL-PRF-2105 is specified
Extreme pressure performace is required
Mack GO-J gear oils are required.

Sorry for the long post but can someone tell if this stuff is ok to use and whether I need to get two more bottles of friction inhibator and have it put in or have some other type of fulids added.

I have an 06 4.7 XK with QDII Transmission

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue with a jiffy lube in virginia. I was told it had the friction stuff in the lube. The first time they could not find my front diff. I had to remove the skid plate to show them where it was at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Even though some gear oils have friction additive in them already I would still recommend using one bottle of mopar additive per differential for the guys with QD II (Electronic Limited Slip Differentials). I'd also check your owners manual to ensure they used the correct weight gear oil. My XK uses 75w140. I only have QT II in my Jeep but I thought they used the same weight gear oil.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sounds like they have no clue what they are doing. You would be better off doing it yourself and then you know it was done properly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
These aftermarket lube companies scare me. They may be ok for oil changes, but when it comes to the differentials, I go to Jeep. More money, but usually done right. Call it insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats why I dont let anyone else work on my jeep. I mean come on. How can you not figure out where the front differential is!!! That person was definitely not a certified mechanic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts